Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit
This topic is about The Stranger in the Woods
Archive - Additional Reads > The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit - December 2018

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4043 comments Mod
Voted by members for the Non-Fiction Additional Read

The Stranger in the Woods The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit by Michael Finkel
The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit

Many people dream of escaping modern life, but most will never act on it. This is the remarkable true story of a man who lived alone in the woods of Maine for 27 years, making this dream a reality--not out of anger at the world, but simply because he preferred to live on his own.

In 1986, a shy and intelligent twenty-year-old named Christopher Knight left his home in Massachusetts, drove to Maine, and disappeared into the forest. He would not have a conversation with another human being until nearly three decades later, when he was arrested for stealing food. Living in a tent even through brutal winters, he had survived by his wits and courage, developing ingenious ways to store edibles and water, and to avoid freezing to death. He broke into nearby cottages for food, clothing, reading material, and other provisions, taking only what he needed but terrifying a community never able to solve the mysterious burglaries. Based on extensive interviews with Knight himself, this is a vividly detailed account of his secluded life--why did he leave? what did he learn?--as well as the challenges he has faced since returning to the world. It is a gripping story of survival that asks fundamental questions about solitude, community, and what makes a good life, and a deeply moving portrait of a man who was determined to live his own way, and succeeded.

Holly Weiss (hollyweiss) | 11 comments I am planning on reading this one.

message 3: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate (katequackenbush) This is on my tbr and I own it, can't wait to read it!

message 4: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Childress (kahrn03) I am 10 chapters in and totally hooked. I usually prefer fiction but the premise of this man’s story is so interesting to me. Haven’t we all wanted to escape life one time or another? But the lengths he went to prevent from being caught are amazing. Thanks for the recommendation!

message 5: by Chris (last edited Dec 03, 2018 10:18AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chris Loved this one!! One of my favorite nonfictions of the year!! So amazed what he went through to keep hiding and what he did after he was found.

message 6: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4043 comments Mod
Hhhmm, I wasn't planning to read this but maybe I will .....

Reija | 101 comments This wasn't the my choice, I listened interview this and thought maybe not.. but now I'm listening this anyway. Nice to have so short chapters! The story is pretty easy listening too, I just keep thinking how he could survive, winters must be freezing.

Marythios (AkaSusanne ) | 296 comments I read this in 2 days could not put it down good story just got pissed at the author at the end. It seemed to me that the author has his own issues and needs to checkout his own motives out. Chris deserved autonomy but in the end no one respected his choices. I do not agree with his choices of stealing but his choice to live in the woods was fine with me. I think we all wish for that quiet and will not experience it until we are on our death bed where nothing matters and we meet our maker.

message 9: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Childress (kahrn03) I agree Suzanne. The author was borderline stalking Chris. I also got the feeling of exploitation too, which is unfortunate. However, Chris’s story is so fascinating to me and I did enjoy the author’s writing style.