Grab a Book & Play Booktivity! discussion

Fun With Challenges > December Scavenger Hunt

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Book Concierge (last edited Jan 20, 2019 08:13AM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2507 comments Mod
December 2018 Scavenger Hunt
Begins: 01Dec18 / Ends: 31Decv18

Your challenge is to find the following words/phrases in the TEXT of the books you are reading this month.

You are NOT restricted to one book / one word; you may find as many of the words/phrases in a single book as you like. If you find all the words in one book you are really lucky!

This month's scavenger list are words that were found in
A Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg A Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg
NOTE - you may NOT use this book for the scavenger hunt!

BASIC word list
bayou
casserole
chirping
crippled
elf
fragile
fragrant
insurance
landmark
mockingbird
pension
plastic
potluck
reflection
tree lighting (will take "lighting the tree" or similar phrase)

BONUS / OPTIONAL words
cardinal (the bird, not the church official)
Coca-Cola
luckiest man alive /OR/ "in the world" (full phrase - will take man, woman, boy, girl, etc as long as it's a person)
polka dots
screen door

===========================================

Unless a variation is specified above, words must match exactly, with the following exceptions: I will accept a plural/singular version, or differences in spelling between British and American English (e.g. honor or honour). But those are the ONLY deviations allowed. So if you are looking for "vivid" - I will NOT allow "vividly."

All books used must be a minimum of 100 pages long - Page length determined by HARDCOVER 1st edition. If there is no Hardcover, then the most popular paperback governs page #.

You may read in any format - text, audio or e-book. If using audio or e-book I suggest using Amazon.com's "look inside" feature to get a page number for you quote.

You MUST finish the book before you can claim credit for finding the word/phrase.

EXAMPLE of a successful post:
Special - The Cat Who Saw Red ✔ - 29Nov18 - pg 91 - "What's her special interest in food?"

message 2: by Book Concierge (last edited Dec 17, 2020 10:28AM) (new)

List of Participants - CLICK on your name to go directly to your challenge post. Then edit the post to add information as you find words. When you've competed the challenge, post a NEW message alerting me to your success. (I do NOT get notified when you edit an existing message.)

FINISHED:
Deb ✔ DONE
Donna - ✔ Done
Ed ✔ Done
Koren - ✔ Done
Tessa ✔ Done

STILL HUNTING:
Agumom

Denise

Gabi

JennH

Licha-Olivia

Marilyn

Patty

SANDYE

message 3: by Koren (last edited May 19, 2019 08:01PM) (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 482 comments BASIC word list
15/15

bayou-Transparent by Don Lemon finished 2/19 p. 13 ...navigating the rivers and bayous of Louisiana.

casserole-The 13th Gift: A True Story of a Christmas Miracle by Joanne Huist Smith finished 12/16 p. 52 Creamy casseroles of chicken and broccoli...

chirping-I Am Matthew by Matthew Davidson finished 12/29 p. 7 ...I could hear the birds chirping and the insects whizzing by.

crippled-The Grace of Silence: A Memoir by Michele Norris finished 12/17 p. 67 What if he had been crippled?

elf-The 13th Gift: A True Story of a Christmas Miracle by Joanne Huist Smith finished 12/16 p.195 In recent years their grandson Jackson also has joined their elf pack.

fragile-A Winter Dream by Richard Paul Evans finished 12/12 p. 44 ...except you know how fragile little Benny is.

fragrant-The Library Book by Susan Orlean finished 12/23 p. 134 ...and rolled the fragrant weed together...

insurance-Come On Shore and We Will Kill and Eat You All: A New Zealand Story by Christina Thompson finished 12/2 p. ...whether buying life insurance was "asking for it."

landmark-The Haymakers by Kent Meyers finished 12/14 p. 136 Remove not the old landmark...

mockingbird-Psychedelic Bubble Gum Boyce & Hart, the Monkees, and Turning Mayhem Into Miracles by Bobby Hart finished 1/7 p. 140 ...working out "Mockingbird" on the old biscuit board, as he put it.

pension-Another Place at the Table by Kathy Harrison finished 1/1/19 p. 223 I think wistfully of pensions and sick days...

plastic-Come On Shore and We Will Kill and Eat You All: A New Zealand Story by Christina Thompson finished 12/2 p. 89 "the Slavonic nature is more plastic...

potluck-Come On Shore and We Will Kill and Eat You All: A New Zealand Story by Christina Thompson finished 12/2 p. 212 ...or what to bring to the school potluck.

reflection-Come On Shore and We Will Kill and Eat You All: A New Zealand Story by Christina Thompson finished 12/2 p. 234 It is a melancholy reflection...

tree lighting (will take "lighting the tree" or similar phrase)-The 13th Gift: A True Story of a Christmas Miracle by Joanne Huist Smith finished 12/16 p. 105 Today he's lighting the tree.

BONUS / OPTIONAL words
5/5

cardinal (the bird, not the church)-All Over But the Shoutin' by Rick Bragg p. 55 They named the sections of the divided classroom after birds. She was the Cardinal....

Coca-Cola-Class Reunion '65 by David Wallechinsky finished 12/13 p. 122 I put a cooler on my wagon and sold cold Coka-Cola...

luckiest man alive (full phrase - will take man, woman, boy, girl, etc as long as it's a person)-Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed finished 2/21/19 p. 81 ...feeling like the luckiest person alive.

polka dots-The Gerbil Farmer's Daughter: A Memoir by Holly Robinson finished 12/20 p. 74 ...the new, two-piece green and white polka dot bathing suit that I insisted on wearing everywhere...

screen door-Come On Shore and We Will Kill and Eat You All: A New Zealand Story by Christina Thompson finished 12/2 p. 7 ...the poor man's fly screen door...

message 4: by Ed (last edited Dec 17, 2020 09:27AM) (new)

Ed Lehman | 142 comments *****COMPLETED 12/17/20***** last phrase-"tree lighting"

20/20

BASIC word list
✔bayou-p.205-The Monkey Wrench Gang-"Scenes of Lousiana bayous, strange birds in slow-motion flight..." 12/6/18
✔casserole-p.152-The Little Paris Bookshop-"You wouldn't have any leftovers from yesterday's casserole?" 12/14/18
✔chirping-p.225-The Little Paris Bookshop-"...the only sound apart from the chirping of the crickets." 12/14/18
✔crippled-p.110-Operation Shylock: A Confession-"...this crippled old wraith who should have been lying down..." 6/25/19
✔elf-p.85-Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading-"...(my own collection), plastic Santas and elves..." 12/9/18
fragile-p117-Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading-"...Maguire counsels me that life is precious and fragile." 12/10/18
✔fragrant-p.191-The Monkey Wrench Gang-"...the fragrant mouth, the heavy lashes of her closed eyes." 12/6/18
✔insurance-Pt1Ch3-Coming Up for Air-"You couldn’t get on in the insurance business if you were anything like that." 12/1/18
✔landmark-p.1-Coming Up for Air- "Besides, say what you will, false teeth are a landmark. " 12/1/18
✔mockingbird-p.333-The Monkey Wrench Gang-"A chorus of evening birds...thrush, mockingbird and thrasher..." 12/8/18
✔pension-Pt2Ch10-Coming Up for Air-"In families like that, which live on tiny pensions and annuities ..." 12/2/18
✔plastic-p.18-The Monkey Wrench Gang-"...and plastic picnic plates on the berm..." 12/4/18
✔potluck-p.13- Mayhem at the Orient Express-"I'd been introduced to Marianne Littlejohn...at a recent potluck." 5/13/20
✔reflection-p.237-The Monkey Wrench Gang-"The grandeur of his reflections gave hm solace..." 12/6/18
✔tree lighting (will take "lighting the tree" or similar phrase)-p.130- Our Lady of the Flowers-"...like the gardens where I used to spend the night: light trees, the opening in a wall, and iron railings, astounding railings, festooned railings. And light trees." 12/17/20

BONUS / OPTIONAL words
✔cardinal (the bird, not the church)-p.45-Out of the Woods- "Beulah looked past it to the tree line, listening to a cardinal." 1/10/19
✔Coca-Cola-p.294-Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore-"...its faint trail of hair disappearing under his Coca-Cola belt buckle." 12/17/18
✔luckiest man alive (full phrase - will take man, woman, boy, girl, etc as long as it's a person)- p.87- The Curriculum Vitae of Aurora Ortiz-"When I was at the seminary in Salamanca, I was the luckiest man alive." 1/28/19
✔polka dots-p.154-Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading-"...I gave Jack a blue-and-red polka dot bow tie to wear." 12/10/18
✔screen door-p.361-These Is My Words: The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine, 1881-1901-"He broke the screen door banging it open,..." 3/3/19

message 5: by Denise (last edited Aug 14, 2019 08:09AM) (new)

Denise | 81 comments thank you!

BASIC word list

13/15 basic words
5/5 bonus/optional words

casserole “It’s only a beef casserole I took from the freezer.” P. 252 Bloodhounds by Peter Lovesey 12.6.18

chirping “Sejer listened for the sound of birds chirping in the apartment.” P. 174 Black Seconds by Karin Fossum 12.12.18

crippled “Your arm isn’t crippled.” P. 75 Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood 12.20.18
elf “The elf is really wonderful, Ba.” P. 11 Colour Schemeby Ngaio Marsh 12.17.18

fragile – After that, the fragile connections that tethered his wife to reality would break loose.” P. 127 Blackfly Season by Giles Blunt 12.4.18

fragrant – “…he is afraid he will …disarrange the fragrant guest bedroom.” P. 147 Consequences by Penelope Lively 4.4.19

insurance “Outside, the morning sunlight slanted over the banks and insurance buildings.” P. 28Blackfly Season by Giles Blunt 12.4.18

landmark “D’Anunzio’s, a combination fruit and soda fountain that had been an Algonquin Bay landmark since before he was born.” P. 256Blackfly Seasonby Giles Blunt 12.4.18

pension “Your pension’s twenty-five million?” p. 416 Blackfly Season by Giles Blunt 12.4.18

plastic “He was slouched on a plastic chair.” P. 249 Blackfly Season by Giles Blunt 12.4.18

potluck “a few years in service and a bit o’ money put by means I’ll have my pick, rather than have to have potluck.” P. 164 The Summer Before the War by Helen Simonson 6.5.19

reflection “Red Bear gave them a look, reflections of candles and wineglasses sparkling in his strange, pale eyes.” P. 157 Blackfly Season by Giles Blunt 12,4,18

tree lighting (will take "lighting the tree" or similar phrase) – “and the Rockefeller tree is lit” p, 228 The Bookstoreby Deborah Meyler (referring to lighting the Christmas tree in Rockefeller Center) 6.10.19

bayou
mockingbird

BONUS / OPTIONAL words

cardinal (the bird, not the church) “Cardinal couldn’t be sure what had alerted him.” P. 432 Blackfly Season by Giles Blunt 12.4.18

screen door “I’m not interested in religion,” she said through the screen door.” P. 39 Blackfly Season by Giles Blunt 12.4.18

Coca-Cola – “Dad buys me a bottle of Coca Cola” p. 177 Summer of '69by Todd Strasser 5.5.19

luckiest man alive (full phrase - will take man, woman, boy, girl, etc as long as it's a person) “Aunt Pansy was the luckiest person in the world..” p. 24 Fools of Fortuneby William Trevor 4.15.19

polka dots “I was going to say polka dots don’t change their spots.” P. 110 Leverage in Death by J.D. Robb 4.11.19

message 6: by Book Concierge (last edited Jul 01, 2019 06:58AM) (new)

December 2018 Scavenger Hunt

15 / 15 Basic words found
5 / 5 BONUS words found
12 books read

BASIC word list
bayou - Turning Angel ✔ – 21May19 - pg 475 - "…to the bayou where I'm…"

casserole - Two Little Girls in Blue ✔ - 08Dec18 - pg 74 - "…a casserole of baked…"

chirping - Carnegie's Maid ✔ – 10Jan19 - pg 139 - "…than the chirping of birds…"

crippled - Other Voices, Other Rooms ✔ – 09Jan19 - pg 24 - "…brokeback dwarf crippled with…"

elf - Christmas Camp: A Novel ✔ - 03Dec18 - pg 36 - "…life-size elf figurine."

fragile - Two Little Girls in Blue ✔ - 08Dec18 - pg 124 -"…very fragile emotionally."

fragrant - Delicious! ✔ – 28Dec18 - pg 4 - "Earthy. Strong. Fragrant."

insurance - A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius ✔ - 12Dec18 - pg 39 - "...from insurance and the..."

landmark - Delicious! ✔ – 28Dec18 - pg 113 - "...various Fontanari landmarks:..."

mockingbird - A Breath of Snow and Ashes ✔ - 14Feb19 - pg 328 - "…jays and mockingbirds were…"

pension - Two Little Girls in Blue ✔ - 08Dec18 - pg 22 - "…specializing in pension funds."

plastic - Two Little Girls in Blue ✔ - 08Dec18 - pg 19 - "…great plastic surgeon make…"

potluck - A Deal to Die For ✔ - 07Dec18 - pg 85 - "There's a potluck at…"

reflection - A Deal to Die For ✔ - 07Dec18 - pg 113 - "…examing her reflection."

tree lighting (will take "lighting the tree" or similar phrase) - How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents ✔ – 27Jan19 - pg 267 - "…and the tree blazed with lights, blinking on, off;"

BONUS / OPTIONAL words
cardinal - For Everything a Season ✔ – 06Feb19 - pg 214 - "…tell a male cardinal from a…"

Coca-Cola - Love Potion Number 10 ✔ - 29Dec18 - pg 110 - "...tea or Coca-Cola for ..."

luckiest man alive (full phrase - Carrying Albert Home ✔ – 21Jan19 - pg 353 - "He was the luckiest man in the world."

polka dots - Other Voices, Other Rooms ✔ – 09Jan19 - pg 45 - "…blue polka-dot bandana."

screen door - A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius ✔ - 12Dec18 - pg 5 - "...only the screen door closed."

message 7: by Book Concierge (new)

OOPS ... just realized I misspelled "fragile" in the original list.

Please make sure it's spelled correctly in your list as you search.

message 8: by Lila (new)

Lila Smith (lilasmith520-) Can't wait!

message 9: by JennH (last edited Dec 23, 2018 11:26PM) (new)

JennH | 189 comments December Scavenger Hunt

BASIC word list
bayou
✔casserole - An American Marriage - 12/16/18 - p56 - "It's a casserole..."
✔chirping - Dracula - 12/7/18 - p60 - "...heard the birds chirping..."
crippled
elf

✔fragile - An American Marriage - 12/16/18 - p32 - "...fragile but fixable..."
✔fragrant - An American Marriage - 12/16/18 - p104 - "...fragrant and undisciplined."
✔insurance - Dracula - 12/7/18 - p43 - "...get an insurance..."
✔landmark - An American Marriage - 12/16/18 - p112 - "It's a landmark, sort of..."
mockingbird

pension
✔plastic - Hitting the Books - 12/9/18 - p27 - "...some plastic yellow crime scene..."
potluck
✔reflection - Dracula - 12/7/18 - p18 - "...since the reflection of the glass..."

BONUS / OPTIONAL words
cardinal (the bird, not the church)
Coca-Cola
luckiest man alive (full phrase - will take man, woman, boy, girl, etc as long as it's a person)
✔polka dots - An American Marriage - 12/16/18 - p21 - "...construction of polka-dot ribbon..."
✔screen door - On Thin Icing - 12/17/18 - "The screen door was locked."

message 10: by Licha-Olivia (last edited Dec 31, 2018 08:26AM) (new)

Licha-Olivia | 257 comments 2018 December Scavenger Challenge

(1) Trust Me Brenda Novak (12/9/18) 4*
(2) Paradise Valley Mysteries Boxed Set Debra Burroughs
(A) The Heart of Lies (12/15/18) 3*
(B) The Chain of Lies (12/25/18) 3*
(3) A Twist in Time Julie McElwain (12/26/18) 4*
(4) Stargirl Jerry Spinelli (12/27/18) 5*
(5) Stop Me Brenda Novak (12/28/18) 4*
(6) Love, Stargirl Jerry Spinelli (12/31/18) 4*

BASIC word list 13/15 words

(5) bayou: p. 62-…out on the bayou.”
(6) casserole: Kindle p. 241-…sweet potato casserole…
(3) chirping: p. 422-…sound of chirping birds…
crippled
(4) elf-Kindle p. 15-…shadow of an elf owl.
(2B) fragile: Kindle loc. 6543-…that life can be fragile…
(2B) fragrant: Kindle loc. 9260-…scent of the fragrant blooms.
(2A) insurance: Kindle loc. 4315-…covered by their insurance…
(3) landmark: p. 28-…those landmarks were soon lost…
(4) mockingbird: Kindle p. 150-“I heard a mockingbird…
(2B) pension: Kindle loc. 8010-…anyone, except my pension.
(2A) plastic: Kindle loc. 3414-…in a plastic grocery bag…
(2A) potluck: Kindle loc. 3378-…for a potluck dinner…
(1) reflection: p. 403-…he’d been just a reflection…

BONUS / OPTIONAL words 1/5 words
Coca-Cola
luckiest man alive (full phrase - will take man, woman, boy, girl, etc as long as it's a person)
polka dots
(6) screen door: Kindle p. 102-Betty Lou watched from the screen door.

message 11: by Donna (last edited Dec 19, 2018 04:37AM) (new)

Donna | 354 comments 15 / 15 Basic words found
5 / 5 BONUS words found
9 books referenced

bayou ~~ A Thin Dark Line ~~ 10Dec2018 ~~ page 35 ~~ “...floating up off the bayou…”

casserole ~~ The Almost Sisters ~~ 4Dec2018 ~~ page 12 ~~ “...I’d made umpty casseroles…”

chirping ~~ Never Stop Walking: A Memoir of Finding Home Across the World ~~ 2Dec2018 ~~ page 11 ~~ “...with a chirping baby bird…”

crippled ~~ Circe ~~ 06Dec2018 ~~ page 187 ~~ “...crippled with a festering wound…”

elf ~~ Skipping Christmas ~~ 19Dec2018 ~~ page 69 ~~ “...while kids in elf costumes skated…”

fragile ~~ Never Stop Walking: A Memoir of Finding Home Across the World ~~ 2Dec2018 ~~ page 234 ~~ “...life is fragile…”

fragrant ~~ A Thin Dark Line ~~ 10Dec2018 ~~ page 184 ~~ “...fragrant steam billowed up…”

insurance ~~ A Thin Dark Line ~~ 10Dec2018 ~~ page 194 ~~ “...kill her for the insurance…”

landmark ~~ Never Stop Walking: A Memoir of Finding Home Across the World ~~ 2Dec2018 ~~ page 220 ~~ “...the landmark I always looked for…”

mockingbird ~~ A Thin Dark Line ~~ 10Dec2018 ~~ page 234 ~~ “...Mimus polyglottis. Mockingbird…”

pension ~~The Almost Sisters ~~ 4Dec2018 ~~ page 69 ~~ “...a fat pension so she could retire…”

plastic~~ Never Stop Walking: A Memoir of Finding Home Across the World ~~ 2Dec2018 ~~ page 184 ~~ “...little plastic horses…”

potluck ~~A Painted House ~~ 12Dec2018 ~~ page 80 ~~ “...a potluck picnic under the trees…”

reflection ~~ A Thin Dark Line ~~ 10Dec2018 ~~ page 208 ~~ “...watched her reflection in the window…”

tree lighting ~~ In the Unlikely Event ~~ 16Dec2018 ~~ page 7 ~~ “...televised lighting of the famous Christmas tree…”

BONUS / OPTIONAL words
cardinal ~~ Where the Crawdads Sing ~~ 07Dec2018 ~~ page 132 ~~ “...a head tuft from a male cardinal…”

Coca-Cola ~~ Never Stop Walking: A Memoir of Finding Home Across the World ~~ 2Dec2018 ~~ page 192 ~~ “...which is popcorn and Coca Cola…”

luckiest man alive ~~ The Notebook ~~ 16Dec2018 ~~ page 183 ~~ “...I’m strong and proud and the luckiest man alive…”

polka dots ~~ In the Unlikely Event ~~ 16Dec2018 ~~ page 230 ~~ “...a polka dot umbrella opened over her head…”

screen door ~~ A Painted House ~~ 12Dec2018 ~~ page 29 ~~ “...through the back screen door…”

message 12: by Agumom (last edited Jan 22, 2019 09:15AM) (new)

Agumom I would like to play. I cannot wait to fail to complete another scavenger hunt!

BASIC word list

bayou
casserole - Prep p.308: "CASSEROLE, on the other hand, made me want to vomit."
chirping
crippled - Lincoln in the Bardo p.233: "...the young men who have been maimed, CRIPPLED, murdered..."
elf - Hogfather p.108: "You'd have to be a maniac even to think of giving an ELF a chisel..."
fragile - Prep p.114: "...such asymmetry might have created a FRAGILE balance..."
fragrant - Moon Tiger p.101: "...the soldiers walked among them, the air was FRAGRANT."
insurance - Prep p.357: "My mom is a bookkeeper at an INSURANCE company."
landmark
mockingbird
pension
plastic - Prep p.43: "Behind the PLASTIC barrier..."
potluck
reflection - Prep p.46: "...while looking her her REFLECTION..."

BONUS / OPTIONAL words
Coca-Cola - Moon Tiger - p.156: ...sitting around smoking and drinking Coca-Cola."
polka dots - Prep p.230: "'Your skirt is pretty. I like the polka dots.'"
screen door

message 13: by Marilyn (last edited Dec 16, 2018 08:23AM) (new)

Marilyn Lott | 331 comments December 2018 Scavenger Hunt

9/ 15 Basic words found
1/ 5 BONUS words found
4 books read
(1) Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi--12/1/18
(2) The Bad-Ass Librarians of Timbuktu: And Their Race to Save the World’s Most Precious Manuscripts by Joshua Hammer--12/2/18
(3) The Infinite Blacktop by Sara Gran--12/10/18
(4) Snap by Belinda Bauer--12/13/18

BASIC word list
bayou
casserole - (4) loc. 960--"...casseroles, school supplies, and sheep wormer--..."
chirping - (4) loc. 1058--"...with the soft chirping of birds..."
crippled - (2) loc. 1837--"...the hunched and crippled Arab..."
elf - (4) loc. 4711--"...like an apple for an elf."
fragile - (2) loc.20--"...fragile pages covered with dense calligraphy
fragrant
insurance - (1) loc. 1391--"For reasons of insurance,..."
landmark
mockingbird
pension
plastic - (2) loc.1814--"...we sat in plastic chairs in a sand plaza..."
potluck - (3) loc. 1888--"...they both went to potluck after church..."
reflection - (2) loc.2013--"...for long periods of reflection,..."

BONUS / OPTIONAL words
Coca-Cola - (2) loc. 1890--"...cell phones, Air Mali, Coca-Cola, and ..."
polka dots
screen door

message 14: by Book Concierge (new)

Lila wrote: "Can't wait!"

Hi, Lila. If you'd like to participate, please copy/paste the scavenger words into your existing post, or create a new message with that info. Once I know that you're an active participant, I'll create a link for you.

message 15: by Book Concierge (new)

I think I have everyone linked to this point. Please let me know if I overlooked anyone.

message 16: by Patty (last edited Dec 29, 2018 06:28AM) (new)

Patty | 173 comments BASIC word list

bayou

casserole-Attachments-12/12/18-page 116-a second helping of casserole"

chirping-Unnatural Habits-12/3/18-page 138-"to have Polly back, chirping"

crippled-Unnatural Habits-12/3/18-page 22-"The crippled man glared"

elf

fragile-Unnatural Habits-12/3/18-page 125-"taking the old, fragile, dry hand."

fragrant-Unnatural Habits-12/3/18-page 262-"my more fragrant experiences."

insurance-Once Upon a Christmas Eve-12/21/18-page163-Term life insurance."

landmark-The Strangers on Montagu Street-12/8/18-page 98 -"pointing to the Civil War landmark."

mockingbird

pension-The Strangers on Montagu Street-12/8/18-page 198-"existing solely on her pension."

plastic-The Strangers on Montagu Street-12/8/18- page 71-"for any plastic surgery"

potluck

reflection-Unnatural Habits-12/3/18-page 14-"to her own reflection"

BONUS / OPTIONAL words

Coca-Cola

luckiest man alive (full phrase - will take man, woman, boy, girl, etc as long as it's a person)-The Winter People-12/26/18-page 30-"he was the luckiest man on earth"

polka dots-Come Lie With Me-12/29/18-page 35-"shirt with cheerful polka dots"

screen door-Once Upon a Christmas Eve-12/21/18-page 269-Owen opened the screen door."

message 17: by Deb (last edited Sep 30, 2019 11:08AM) (new)

Deb (chiana) | 88 comments I'm totally in!

BASIC word list
DONE

BONUS / OPTIONAL words
DONE

FOUND BASIC word list
(view spoiler)

FOUND Bonus / Optional words
(view spoiler)

Books used
The Selection (The Selection, #1) by Kiera Cass ****12/4 Oklahoma Christmas Blues (The McIntyre Men, #1) by Maggie Shayne ****12/12 Cinnamon Roll Murder (Hannah Swensen, #15) by Joanne Fluke ***12/14 The Christmas Cottage by A.L. Jambor ***12/17 The Rejected Writers' Book Club (Southlea Bay, #1) by Suzanne Kelman ****12/2 Deadline (Newsflesh Trilogy, #2) by Mira Grant *****12/13 Blackout (Newsflesh Trilogy, #3) by Mira Grant *****12/17 A Royal Scandals Christmas Three Holiday Novellas by Nicole Burnham ***12/1 Pretty Little Liars (Pretty Little Liars, #1) by Sara Shepard ***12/08 The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers (Demon Slayer, #2) by Angie Fox ****12/18 Skinny-Dipping (The Au Pairs #2) by Melissa de la Cruz ***12/27 The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides ****12/31 Another Man's Treasure (Palmyrton Estate Sale Mystery, #1) by S.W. Hubbard ****1/2/19 Within the Shadows (Shadow World, #1) by Julieanne Lynch ****9/30/19

message 18: by Book Concierge (new)

Agumom wrote: "I would like to play. I cannot wait to fail to complete another scavenger hunt!..."

Oh ... I just read your opening lines! HA HA HA!

message 19: by Book Concierge (new)

Welcome, Patty and Deb. I've created links for our two newest scavengers.

message 20: by Gabi (new)

Gabi Eisenberg (gabieisenberg) | 9 comments December 2018 Scavenger Hunt
Completed: 0/20

BASIC word list
bayou
casserole
chirping
crippled
elf
fragile
fragrant
insurance
landmark
mockingbird
pension
plastic
potluck
reflection

BONUS / OPTIONAL words
Coca-Cola
polka dots
screen door

message 21: by Book Concierge (new)

Welcome to the challenge, Gabi. I've created a link for you.

message 22: by Book Concierge (new)

NOTE - I'm traveling for much of the rest of the month and may not have internet connection every day. I WILL check in periodically, though, so keep reading and enjoy the holiday season!

message 23: by Deb (new)

Deb (chiana) | 88 comments Book Concierge wrote: "NOTE - I'm traveling for much of the rest of the month and may not have internet connection every day. I WILL check in periodically, though, so keep reading and enjoy the holiday season!"

Safe Travels!

message 24: by Agumom (new)

Agumom Book Concierge wrote: "NOTE - I'm traveling for much of the rest of the month and may not have internet connection every day. I WILL check in periodically, though, so keep reading and enjoy the holiday season!"

Have fun!

message 25: by SANDYE (last edited Dec 30, 2018 02:57AM) (new)

SANDYE (sandye_c) BASIC words found 10 / 15
BONUS words found 1 / 5
BOOKS referenced 4

BASIC word list
bayou

casserole--Christmas in Magnolia Cove by Rachel Hanna - 12/5/18 - pg. 50 - "So, who's coming tomorrow?" Madison asked as she sat down on a bar stool to fully absorb the smell of her mother's sweet potato casserole.

chirping--Christmas in Magnolia Cove by Rachel Hanna - 12/5/18 - pg. 97 - "Since he had admitted his attraction to her in the truck, things had been quiet, like crickets chirping.

crippled

elf--Christmas Pie Crescent by Kelly Frith -12/23/18 - pg. 104 - "He was a rude little elf who should be fired."

fragile--Christmas Pie Crescent by Kelly Frith - 12/23/18 - pg. 81 - "She was small in height and build and she looked fragile and tired like she needed looking after."

fragrant--Christmas Roses by Amanda Cabot - 12/23/18 - pg. 142 - "Celia sank onto the chair across from Mark and breathed in the fragrant aroma of coffee wondering if she would ever smell it again without remembering this moment."

insurance--The Little Christmas Teashop of Second Chances by Donna Ashcroft - 12/30/18 - pg. 149 - "She's Simon's PA and if he's looking to change his insurance company, she'll know."

landmark--Christmas Pie Crescent by Kelly Frith - 12/23/18 - pg. 12 - "The kids gasped with excitement as they descended up into the sky and Alfonso pointed out the famous landmarks.

mockingbird
pension

plastic--Christmas Pie Crescent by Kelly Frith - 12/23/18 - pg. 147 - "Holly shuffled int he uncomfortable plastic chair as a big busted woman wearing a dress that was clearly too small stood at teh front of the marquee in the front of the tabe laid with the bake-off entries."

potluck

reflection--Christmas Pie Crescent by Kelly Frith - 12/23/18 - pg. 16 - "All Holly could see was their reflection.

tree lighting (will take "lighting the tree" or similar phrase)--Christmas in Magnolia Cove by Rachel Hanna - 12/15/18 - pg. 151 - "But hurry back because I think they are going to light the Christmas tree as soon as the sun goes down,' she said."

BONUS / OPTIONAL words
Coca-Cola

polka dots--Christmas Pie Crescent by Kelly Frith - 12/23/18 - pg. 7 - "'My daughter has multicoloured polka dots,' Mary replied."

screen door

message 26: by Book Concierge (new)

Happy hunting, SANDYE. Your link is active.

message 27: by Deb (last edited Dec 17, 2018 03:15PM) (new)

Deb (chiana) | 88 comments How about "...the luckiest woman in the world..."? Has to be 'alive'?

For lighting the tree, can this work? "Stefano plugged in the lights, illuminating the tree."

message 28: by Book Concierge (new)

Deb wrote: "How about "...the luckiest woman in the world..."? Has to be 'alive'?

For lighting the tree, can this work? "Stefano plugged in the lights, illuminating the tree.""

It's a BONUS phrase, so SURE, I'll take "luckiest woman in the world"

re: Tree-lighting .... that full reference works.

message 29: by Donna (new)

Donna | 354 comments Challenge Complete! "Elf" was my hardest word this time around.

message 30: by Book Concierge (new)

Donna wrote: "Challenge Complete! "Elf" was my hardest word this time around."

Congrats! Taking a peek at your books in hopes of finding more words ....

And "Elf" was the first word I found!

message 31: by Denise (last edited Jun 19, 2019 10:44AM) (new)

Denise | 81 comments Finished

BASIC word list

13/15 basic words
4/5 bonus/optional words

casserole “It’s only a beef casserole I took from the freezer.” P. 252 Bloodhounds by Peter Lovesey 12.6.18

chirping “Sejer listened for the sound of birds chirping in the apartment.” P. 174 Black Seconds by Karin Fossum 12.12.18

crippled “Your arm isn’t crippled.” P. 75 Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood 12.20.18
elf “The elf is really wonderful, Ba.” P. 11 Colour Schemeby Ngaio Marsh 12.17.18

fragile – After that, the fragile connections that tethered his wife to reality would break loose.” P. 127 Blackfly Season by Giles Blunt 12.4.18

fragrant – “…he is afraid he will …disarrange the fragrant guest bedroom.” P. 147 Consequences by Penelope Lively 4.4.19

insurance “Outside, the morning sunlight slanted over the banks and insurance buildings.” P. 28Blackfly Season by Giles Blunt 12.4.18

landmark “D’Anunzio’s, a combination fruit and soda fountain that had been an Algonquin Bay landmark since before he was born.” P. 256Blackfly Seasonby Giles Blunt 12.4.18

pension “Your pension’s twenty-five million?” p. 416 Blackfly Season by Giles Blunt 12.4.18

plastic “He was slouched on a plastic chair.” P. 249 Blackfly Season by Giles Blunt 12.4.18

potluck “a few years in service and a bit o’ money put by means I’ll have my pick, rather than have to have potluck.” P. 164 The Summer Before the War by Helen Simonson 6.5.19

reflection “Red Bear gave them a look, reflections of candles and wineglasses sparkling in his strange, pale eyes.” P. 157 Blackfly Season by Giles Blunt 12,4,18

tree lighting (will take "lighting the tree" or similar phrase) – “and the Rockefeller tree is lit” p, 228 The Bookstore by Deborah Meyler (referring to lighting the Christmas tree in Rockefeller Center) 6.20.19

bayou
mockingbird

BONUS / OPTIONAL words

cardinal (the bird, not the church) “Cardinal couldn’t be sure what had alerted him.” P. 432 Blackfly Season by Giles Blunt 12.4.18

screen door “I’m not interested in religion,” she said through the screen door.” P. 39 Blackfly Season by Giles Blunt 12.4.18

Coca-Cola – “Dad buys me a bottle of Coca Cola” p. 177 Summer of '69by Todd Strasser 5.5.19

polka dots “I was going to say polka dots don’t change their spots.” P. 110 Leverage in Death by J.D. Robb 4.11.19

message 32: by Book Concierge (new)

Great work, Denise.

Never know when you might find one of those more elusive words/phrases. I never lock the threads, so feel free to come back later.

message 33: by Book Concierge (new)

Seems that December's list is pretty difficult. Or, everyone is too busy to read and/or post their progress (certainly the case for me). Here's to better luck for us all in 2019.

message 34: by Donna (new)

Donna | 354 comments December's list WAS difficult (I thought)! I had to scramble to get the list completed!

message 35: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 482 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Seems that December's list is pretty difficult. Or, everyone is too busy to read and/or post their progress (certainly the case for me). Here's to better luck for us all in 2019."

I took the easy way out for Christmas and gave money and gift cards so I had plenty of time to read. I got 12 books done but still have 4 words to find. I didnt think cardinal would be one of the harder ones.

message 36: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 482 comments I found cardinal many times but not the bird until now. Finally done with this challenge!

message 37: by Book Concierge (new)

Hip, Hip, Hooray! Great job, Koren.

message 38: by Book Concierge (new)

Update message 6 - Challenge completed - 21May19
(Though I forgot to record it .... S*I*G*H)

message 39: by Deb (new)

Deb (chiana) | 88 comments Update to msg 17 - FINALLY found Mockingbird!

Completed 9/30/19

message 40: by Book Concierge (new)

Whoop Whoop Whoop!

message 41: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 142 comments *****COMPLETED 12/17/20***** last phrase-"tree lighting"

20/20

BASIC word list
✔bayou-p.205-The Monkey Wrench Gang-"Scenes of Lousiana bayous, strange birds in slow-motion flight..." 12/6/18
✔casserole-p.152-The Little Paris Bookshop-"You wouldn't have any leftovers from yesterday's casserole?" 12/14/18
✔chirping-p.225-The Little Paris Bookshop-"...the only sound apart from the chirping of the crickets." 12/14/18
✔crippled-p.110-Operation Shylock: A Confession-"...this crippled old wraith who should have been lying down..." 6/25/19
✔elf-p.85-Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading-"...(my own collection), plastic Santas and elves..." 12/9/18
fragile-p117-Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading-"...Maguire counsels me that life is precious and fragile." 12/10/18
✔fragrant-p.191-The Monkey Wrench Gang-"...the fragrant mouth, the heavy lashes of her closed eyes." 12/6/18
✔insurance-Pt1Ch3-Coming Up for Air-"You couldn’t get on in the insurance business if you were anything like that." 12/1/18
✔landmark-p.1-Coming Up for Air- "Besides, say what you will, false teeth are a landmark. " 12/1/18
✔mockingbird-p.333-The Monkey Wrench Gang-"A chorus of evening birds...thrush, mockingbird and thrasher..." 12/8/18
✔pension-Pt2Ch10-Coming Up for Air-"In families like that, which live on tiny pensions and annuities ..." 12/2/18
✔plastic-p.18-The Monkey Wrench Gang-"...and plastic picnic plates on the berm..." 12/4/18
✔potluck-p.13- Mayhem at the Orient Express-"I'd been introduced to Marianne Littlejohn...at a recent potluck." 5/13/20
✔reflection-p.237-The Monkey Wrench Gang-"The grandeur of his reflections gave hm solace..." 12/6/18
✔tree lighting (will take "lighting the tree" or similar phrase)-p.130- Our Lady of the Flowers-"...like the gardens where I used to spend the night: light trees, the opening in a wall, and iron railings, astounding railings, festooned railings. And light trees." 12/17/20

BONUS / OPTIONAL words
✔cardinal (the bird, not the church)-p.45-Out of the Woods- "Beulah looked past it to the tree line, listening to a cardinal." 1/10/19
✔Coca-Cola-p.294-Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore-"...its faint trail of hair disappearing under his Coca-Cola belt buckle." 12/17/18
✔luckiest man alive (full phrase - will take man, woman, boy, girl, etc as long as it's a person)- p.87- The Curriculum Vitae of Aurora Ortiz-"When I was at the seminary in Salamanca, I was the luckiest man alive." 1/28/19
✔polka dots-p.154-Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading-"...I gave Jack a blue-and-red polka dot bow tie to wear." 12/10/18
✔screen door-p.361-These Is My Words: The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine, 1881-1901-"He broke the screen door banging it open,..." 3/3/19

message 42: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 482 comments Ed wrote: "*****COMPLETED 12/17/20***** last phrase-"tree lighting"

20/20

BASIC word list
✔bayou-p.205-The Monkey Wrench Gang-"Scenes of Lousiana bayous, strange birds in slow-motion flight..."..."

Now that's perseverance!!!

message 43: by Book Concierge (new)

WTG, Ed!