Reading the Detectives discussion

Group reads > February 2019 group read - Winner!

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Judy (new)

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 8403 comments Mod
It's time to nominate books for our February 2019 group read.

The books can be written in/set in the GA period, or a little earlier or later.

Just one nomination per group member, please. Also, only one book by any individual writer can be nominated per month.

message 2: by Jill (last edited Nov 30, 2018 02:39PM) (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 1861 comments I would like to nominate The Case Is Closed by Patricia Wentworth The Case Is Closed (Miss Silver, #2) by Patricia Wentworth

The Everton murder case has long been closed. The culprit has been charged with the murder of his uncle and has served a year of his sentence already. Or has he?

The evidence against Geoffrey Grey is convincing but his wife believes in his innocence. And so does her young cousin, Hilary, who decides to solve the mystery herself.

But when Hilary herself is nearly murdered she turns in desperation to her ex-fiance for help. He calls upon the services of Miss Silver to help solve another mystery, which she does in her own original style.

This in the second in The Miss Silver series

message 3: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Nov 30, 2018 03:52PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) I would like to nominate The Sands of Windee by Arthur W. Upfield. This is the second in the series, but I think reading them in order is not required. It is good to know about the detective:

Name: Bonaparte, Napoleon "Bony"
Attributes: Bi-racial; Gentleman; Half-Aborigine, half-European; suave

No one but Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte saw anything unusual about the abandoned car in the background of the police photograph. But to Bony it signifies that the disappearance of Luck Marks near Windee station was no accident.

Why had Marks driven out to Windee? Had he been murdered? Or had he, as the local police believe, wandered away from his car and been overwhelmed by a dust storm? Bony knows that the answers to these and many another questions lie buried in the sands of Windee.

The half-caste investigator is able to show off his superior intellect and prefeminist sensitivity while exploring tribal culture and, of course, solving a difficult murder case. Bony is obviously Upfield's perfect Renaissance man, and he never misses a chance to prove it. The book may be a historical curiosity as it draws on the author's own experiences and knowledge of the bush, but it is often tedious despite Nigel Graham's devoted recitation.

Author Arthur W. Upfield was born in Gosport, Hampshire, England on September 1, 1890. He moved to Australia and adopted it as his homeland. He is best known for his series of books featuring Detective Inspector Napoleon "Bony" Bonaparte of the Queensland State Police. He died on February 13, 1964.

message 4: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 1861 comments I nominated The Barrakee Mystery last year and it only got 2 votes so hope this one does better as I would like to read this series

Elizabeth (Alaska) Jill wrote: "I nominated The Barrakee Mystery last year and it only got 2 votes so hope this one does better as I would like to read this series"

I would have nominated that one, but my library doesn't have it, and does have the Windee one.

message 6: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1292 comments I am still reading Barrakee. A good number of them are now available on kindle.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Jan C wrote: "I am still reading Barrakee. A good number of them are now available on kindle."

Unfortunately, that title isn't one of them.

message 8: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1292 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Jan C wrote: "I am still reading Barrakee. A good number of them are now available on kindle."

Unfortunately, that title isn't one of them."

Wow! I had to double-check. Because I have it on Kindle. It looks like I got it in July 2017.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Well, my nomination isn't available either, I now see. Perhaps it isn't such a good idea and that is why the series doesn't get votes.

message 10: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1292 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Well, my nomination isn't available either, I now see. Perhaps it isn't such a good idea and that is why the series doesn't get votes."

Oh, wow! I bought that on kindle. Wonder if it is still there.

message 11: by Susan (new)

Susan | 9410 comments Mod
Trouble in Nuala Trouble in Nuala (The Inspector de Silva Mysteries #1) by Harriet Steel

When Inspector Shanti de Silva moves with his English wife, Jane, to his new post in the sleepy hill town of Nuala, he anticipates a more restful life than police work in the big city entails. However an arrogant plantation owner with a lonely wife, a crusading lawyer, and a death in suspicious circumstances present him with a riddle that he will need all his experience to solve.
Set on the exotic island of Ceylon (modern Sri Lanka) in the 1930s, Trouble in Nuala is an entertaining and absorbing mystery spiced with humour and a colourful cast of characters.

What readers say about Trouble in Nuala:

"This is an unexpected treasure. Set in 1930s Ceylon. It is an interesting look at colonialism from the colonial side. I was engaged from the first page and kept in thrall until the end. Inspector DeSilva and Jane are well drawn characters and I plan on following them through further adventures."

"The sweltering heat and dazzling light of Ceylon in the 1930s pour out from the pages of "Trouble in Nuala". Shanti de Silva, Nuala's police inspector, navigates the complexities of colonial society under British Imperial rule even as he unpicks the threads of a classic murder mystery. First-class entertainment, with a memorable mix of characters."

"A captivating, relaxed read which was thoroughly enjoyable to the last page, set in a charming era, with an endearing lead character and in an interesting location."

"Clever plotting, sharply defined characters and luscious description make this a hugely enjoyable read. I look forward to volume 2".

message 12: by Judy (new)

The Sands of Windee is on audible, so that may be an option for some of us.

message 13: by Judy (new)

Trouble in Nuala sounds really interesting, Susan - very international nominations so far, and I'm torn already, as I've also been wanting to read the second Miss Silver book for ages.

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) How about The Secret of Chimneys by Agatha Christie The Secret of Chimneys (Superintendent Battle, #1) by Agatha Christie

A bit of adventure and quick cash is all that good-natured drifter Anthony Cade is looking for when he accepts a messenger job from an old friend. It sounds so simple: deliver the provocative memoirs of a recently deceased European count to a London publisher. But the parcel holds more than scandalous royal secrets. It contains a stash of letters that suggest blackmail -- and lead to the murder of a stranger who's been shadowing Anthony's every move. Discovering the dead man's identity means retracing his steps -- to the rambling estate of Chimneys where darker secrets, and deadlier threats, await anyone who dares to enter.

message 15: by Jill (last edited Dec 04, 2018 06:03PM) (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 1861 comments Just found I got Trouble in Nuala for free back in 2016 Good job Amazon knew, as I never remember which ones I have

message 16: by Judy (new)

The poll will go up this weekend - earlier than usual this month, because of Christmas, so get any more nominations in now!

So far we have;

Jill: The Case Is Closed by Patricia Wentworth
Elizabeth: The Sands of Windee by Arthur W. Upfield
Susan: Trouble in Nuala by Harriet Steel
Hilary: The Secret of Chimneys by Agatha Christie

message 17: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1292 comments Just to add another one, how about The Lady Vanishes by Ethel Lina White. Currently available on kindle in the US for $1.99.

Hitchcock did a movie based on it.

message 18: by Frances (new)

Frances (francesab) | 350 comments Could we do another Josephine Tey? Miss Pym Disposes is not another Inspector Grant book, but

To Lucy Pym, author of a best-seller on Psychology, the atmosphere at the college where she is lecturing is heavy with tension. Beneath the so normal surface run sinister undercurrents of rivalry and jealousy. Then comes tragedy. An accident? Or is it murder? Respectable, law-abiding Miss Pym discovers some vital evidence - but should she reveal it?

is the Goodreads description.

message 19: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1292 comments Frances wrote: "Could we do another Josephine Tey? Miss Pym Disposes is not another Inspector Grant book, but

To Lucy Pym, author of a best-seller on Psychology, the atmosphere at the college where ..."

I'm getting ready to read this.

message 20: by Judy (new)

The poll is now open:

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 21: by Judy (last edited Dec 20, 2018 12:44AM) (new)

And the winner is ... The Lady Vanishes by Ethel Lina White. The Lady Vanishes by Ethel Lina White (Alternative title The Wheel Spins.)

Full results:

The Lady Vanishes 8 votes, 40.0%
Miss Pym Disposes 4 votes, 20.0%
Trouble in Nuala (The Inspector de Silva Mysteries #1) 3 votes, 15.0%
The Secret of Chimneys (Superintendent Battle, #1) 2 votes, 10.0%
The Case Is Closed (Miss Silver, #2) 2 votes, 10.0%
The Sands of Windee (Bony, #2) 1 vote, 5.0%

message 22: by Susan (new)

Susan | 9410 comments Mod
Thanks, Judy.

Elizabeth (Alaska) I hope you all enjoy it. I did when I read it a year or two ago.

message 24: by Roman Clodia (new)

Roman Clodia | 733 comments I'm in for this one - it's long been on that tbr!

message 25: by Bruce (new)

Bruce Nice. I’m only disappointed Caldecott and Charters aren’t in the book. I just looked them up.

message 26: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 236 comments For anyone in the UK, you may be interested to know that Hitchcock's 1938 version of The Lady Vanishes, is available on BBC iplayer for the next 12 days.

message 27: by Judy (new)

Tracey wrote: "For anyone in the UK, you may be interested to know that Hitchcock's 1938 version of The Lady Vanishes, is available on BBC iplayer for the next 12 days."

Thanks Tracey, that's really useful to know!