Austenesque Lovers TBR Challenge 2019 discussion

Other Matters > Chatting About Covers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 667 (667 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

message 1: by Sophia (last edited Dec 28, 2018 01:00PM) (new)

Sophia (sophiarose) | 952 comments Mod
For all those who do judge a book by its cover (and that includes me) and want to talk up favorite covers, cover artists, quirky covers, cover contests, and more. Questions about covers are welcome. It's fine if you wish to point out that you are less than impressed about a cover or a type of cover, too, but be kind in your critique. :)

message 2: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 510 comments Great topic! Lol...some are hard kind to qualify for your last sentence. In her great book about Austen covers, Margaret C Sullivan had some great lines.

message 3: by Sophia (new)

Kirk wrote: "Great topic! Lol...some are hard kind to qualify for your last sentence. In her great book about Austen covers, Margaret C Sullivan had some great lines."

Oh, trust me, I know. LOL There have been a few cringe-worthy ones over the years. I still need to look through that book.

message 4: by writer... (last edited Dec 18, 2018 09:22AM) (new)

writer... (goodreadscomwriter) | 123 comments Cover LOVE <3 for the upcoming anthology release
A Very Austen Valentine
A Very Austen Valentine by Robin M. Helm
+ Understanding Elizabeth
Understanding Elizabeth by Robin M. Helm
+ the Yours by Design Time Travel series of
Accidentally Yours
Accidentally Yours (Yours by Design, #1) by Robin M. Helm Sincerely Yours: Yours by Design, Book 2 Sincerely Yours Yours by Design, Book 2 by Robin M. Helm Forever Yours Forever Yours (Yours by Design, #3) by Robin M. Helm

message 5: by Sophia (new)

Those new Robin Helm covers are gorgeous. I was tempted to get second copies to have them. :)

message 6: by writer... (last edited Dec 18, 2018 09:22AM) (new)

writer... (goodreadscomwriter) | 123 comments Much love for Victoria Connelly Victoria Connelly 's always classy covers [ and the stories!] <3

A Weekend with Mr. Darcy (Austen Addicts, #1) by Victoria Connelly A Weekend with Mr. Darcy
Dreaming of Mr. Darcy (Austen Addicts #2) by Victoria Connelly Dreaming of Mr. Darcy
Mr. Darcy Forever (Austen Addicts Book 3) by Victoria Connelly Mr. Darcy Forever

message 7: by Ahnya (new)

Ahnya | 25 comments What I fun topic. I love covers!

I have always liked M.C. Frank covers. Here are some examples:
Persuasion by Jane Austen
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Darcy and Elizabeth by Jane Austen
I just found out there is a coloring book!
Persuasion, the Coloring Book by M.C. Frank

message 8: by Sophia (new)

Those are pretty, Ahnya. I tried to win the GR giveaway for the Persuasion one and meant to check into buying it, but never got around to it. :)

message 9: by Ahnya (new)

Ahnya | 25 comments Sophia wrote: "Those are pretty, Ahnya. I tried to win the GR giveaway for the Persuasion one and meant to check into buying it, but never got around to it. :)"

I think I entered the same giveaway and that was how I found it. I would love to get a print of P&P or Persuasion.

I know it is not Austen but I just saw this Jane Eyre on Audible and it is lovely.

message 10: by Sophia (new)

Yes, that is a lovely one.

message 11: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1252 comments Today Cover Wars went back online after a holiday break. However, there are no JAFF covers for us to vote on. Maybe next week. I am including the link in case there is a book you like in the contest.

http://authorshout.com/cover-wars/

message 12: by wosedwew (last edited Jan 06, 2019 06:55AM) (new)

wosedwew | 368 comments A note on FB from Martine Roberts:

I'm excited that my book won Cover of the Month, but now it's up for Cover of the Year 2018. It would be amazing to see a P & P cover win. So, if you could vote for Mr Darcy’s Proposal each day, I would be so grateful. Scroll down to the small image, tick the correct box, then press vote. Please share. Thank you so much. xx

https://alternative-read.com/2019/01/...

The rules now allow daily votes

message 13: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1252 comments Thanks for the link Wose.

message 14: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 510 comments J. W. wrote: "Today Cover Wars went back online after a holiday break. However, there are no JAFF covers for us to vote on. Maybe next week. I am including the link in case there is a book you like in the contes..."
Thx! Yikes... what a scary group!

message 15: by Chelsea (last edited Jan 06, 2019 10:52AM) (new)

Chelsea (crystal_dark) | 512 comments wosedwew wrote: "A note on FB from Martine Roberts:

I'm excited that my book won Cover of the Month, but now it's up for Cover of the Year 2018. It would be amazing to see a P & P cover win. So, if you could vote ..."

I just voted on my tablet.
Also voted using Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge on Desktop.

message 16: by Sophia (new)

Wow, cover of the year! I'm down to help her. :)

message 17: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1252 comments Thanks for the reminder, Chelsea. I voted on Edge also.

message 18: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1252 comments Don't forget to vote. As Wose stated, you can vote daily. Let's show how Austenesque takes care of their own. Go!! Team!! Jane!!

message 19: by Chelsea (last edited Jan 07, 2019 03:17PM) (new)

Chelsea (crystal_dark) | 512 comments I just voted again on my tablet for the cover of the year.
Also voted using Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge on Desktop.

message 20: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1252 comments I'm so glad we can vote daily now. Hope she wins.

message 22: by Chelsea (last edited Jan 08, 2019 03:22PM) (new)

Chelsea (crystal_dark) | 512 comments https://alternative-read.com/2019/01/...

I just got my vote for my tablet in.
I also just did my votes using Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge on Desktop.

message 23: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1252 comments I also voted using Edge. Thanks for the reminder.

message 24: by Chelsea (last edited Jan 09, 2019 04:47PM) (new)

Chelsea (crystal_dark) | 512 comments J. W. wrote: "I also voted using Edge. Thanks for the reminder.

https://alternative-read.com/2019/01/..."

Your welcome, hopefully all of our repeat votes will help to make this cover win.

I just cast my daily tablet vote.

message 25: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1252 comments Don't forget to vote. We want a JAFF book as the Cover of the Year.

message 26: by Chelsea (last edited Jan 10, 2019 09:59PM) (new)

Chelsea (crystal_dark) | 512 comments J. W. wrote: "Don't forget to vote. We want a JAFF book as the Cover of the Year."

I just got my tablet vote in for the day, hopefully all our votes help.

message 27: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (crystal_dark) | 512 comments I just did my daily tablet vote for the Cover of the Year.

message 28: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1252 comments Me too, thanks for the reminder.

message 29: by Chelsea (new)

message 30: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (crystal_dark) | 512 comments I just voted on my tablet.

message 31: by Chelsea (new)

I missed my desktop votes yesterday for Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge but did them now.

message 32: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1252 comments Voted!!

message 33: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (crystal_dark) | 512 comments I just voted on my tablet.

message 34: by Anji (new)

Anji | 735 comments I've been voting daily, too. Does anyone know when the poll ends? Can't see a date on the poll posting.

message 35: by Audrey (new)

Audrey | 11 comments A little off topic...I don't like it when books are re-published with a new cover. I ALWAYS think it is new and buy it again. Yes, I could look at the year published, or my reading list or any number of things but I don't ;)

It is worse when they re-name a book (I think Abigail Reynolds did this). I don't always read new books right away - all hail the TBR pile - and I get super excited when I think I am going to sit down with a new book and it is an old book with a new cover or name.

message 36: by Anji (new)

Anji | 735 comments Audrey wrote: "A little off topic...I don't like it when books are re-published with a new cover. I ALWAYS think it is new and buy it again. Yes, I could look at the year published, or my reading list or any numb..."

It's really annoying when that happens, isn't it? As far as I know, I don't think I've fallen victim but I've got so many books on my Kindle that it's a possibility. Another trick to be wary of is when an author bundles together a number of shorter works that were previously published singly. P. O. Dixon does this from time to time. Always check the blurb carefully!

I seem to remember reading somewhere that it wasn't Abigail's decision to re-title some of her books but her publisher at the time.

message 37: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dmbrown) | 633 comments Impulse and Initiative is essentially the same as To Conquer Mr. Darcy, but I actually prefer the latter because there are some significant scenes (relating to resolving the Lydia-Wickham storyline) that are among my absolute favorites which ARE different.

And yes, it was Abigail's publisher who changed the name over her objections.

message 38: by Audrey (new)

Audrey | 11 comments Is is almost never the author's idea to do this stuff. I don't blame them at all. I blame the publishers!

Yes, bundling books gets me too. In general, I don't like bundles because I like to buy audio books too. If you own the book, the audio is usually cheaper but if you own the book as part of the bundle, the discount does not apply.

message 39: by Chelsea (last edited Jan 15, 2019 01:19PM) (new)

Chelsea (crystal_dark) | 512 comments Debbie wrote: "Impulse and Initiative is essentially the same as To Conquer Mr. Darcy, but I actually prefer the latter because there are some significant scenes (relating to resolving the Lydia-Wickham storyline) that are among my absolute favorites which ARE different.

And yes, it was Abigail's publisher who changed the name over her objections...."

I have read several of her books and a few of them were published under multiple names. She has a list on her website about book names that is helpful but I didn't discover that until after I had checked some books out under the different names, thankfully I didn't buy any of them twice but I was disappointed when I discovered they weren't new. I am not sure if I read Impulse and Initiative as To Conquer Mr. Darcy or not. I always try to read it as Impulse and Initiative since that is the version I read the first time and the cover I am familiar with.

message 40: by Chelsea (new)

I just did my desktop votes for Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge.

message 41: by Marlene (new)

Marlene | 208 comments Audrey wrote: "A little off topic...I don't like it when books are re-published with a new cover....."

Agreed! Another issue is that if a publisher had the rights to the book and then released the rights back to the author to republish it independently, they probably won't give the rights to the cover art with the rights to the book. I'm no expert - this is just my understanding of a conversation I had with an author a while back who changed her cover.

message 42: by Chelsea (new)

message 43: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1252 comments Chelsea, you are doing a most excellent job of reminding us to vote. Thank you for the nudge.

message 44: by Audrey (new)

Audrey | 11 comments Why can't you like comments here? I agree with you Marlene! I would have just liked your comment but I either can't or don't know how....

message 45: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (crystal_dark) | 512 comments J. W. wrote: "Chelsea, you are doing a most excellent job of reminding us to vote. Thank you for the nudge."

No problem, I have forgotten a few days myself.
I just did my tablet vote.

message 46: by wosedwew (new)

wosedwew | 368 comments I'm still voting -- wish we knew how the score is going

message 47: by Marlene (new)

Marlene | 208 comments Audrey wrote: "Why can't you like comments here? I agree with you Marlene! I would have just liked your comment but I either can't or don't know how...."

Doesn't look like we can! I'll pretend that I liked your like! ;-)

message 48: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dmbrown) | 633 comments Here's my Like:
👍

message 49: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (crystal_dark) | 512 comments wosedwew wrote: "I'm still voting -- wish we knew how the score is going"

It would be nice to know what the books votes looked like but hopefully our combined efforts will work.

message 50: by Chelsea (last edited Jan 18, 2019 06:57PM) (new)

I also voted on my tablet.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 13 14