Classic Trash discussion

The Westing Game
This topic is about The Westing Game
The Westing Game > The Westing Game: Finished (Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Adelaide Blair | 1016 comments Mod
This topic is for those who wish to discuss the book after they have finished. Spoil away! (But, this is a mystery, so maybe use the spoiler tags if revealing anything too juicy.)

Quirkyreader | 8 comments This was a fun read. I’ll wait till more people have finished to give my comments.

Cheryl | 906 comments I just finished it. Lots of fun, and lots of twists and turns in the plot. This was a very clever story, especially since it's a children's book. I'd never have figured out the clues on my own. I also liked the ending. It wasn't a typical ending, but things did work out well in the end.

I had a lot of fun with this, although I knew I would going into it because this was one of my favorite books when I was a kid. It's not entirely as pc as one would expect now, but for the time it was written (1978) it's pretty good. I loved the diversity of characters, and Turtle will always be one of my favorites. I love that she is smart and very much her own person, even if that person is a little prickly.

Danielle (daniellebluecat) | 3 comments Agree about it not being so pc anymore - felt different reading it than the last time I had reread it. I love the ideas in it though and having to figure things out - which I loved as a kid. _Book Scavenger_ is a recent book that has a similar feel to this. If you liked _The Westing Game_, I would very much recommend reading it.

Quirkyreader | 8 comments It makes one wonder if Turtle would be placed on the Autism Spectrum if the book were written today. This book would be a good parring with The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

message 7: by Kelly (last edited Dec 10, 2018 06:23AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kelly | 77 comments It was... not bad. About 25% in, I found myself thinking to myself "I don't like anyone in this book so far.... well, except Chris. I like him." But by the end of it, I pretty much liked everyone. So that turned out better. Maybe if I had read this one when I was young, then there would be the nostalgia angle. But it was a quick read, a very good thing since I've been so very busy at work and my reading time has been curtailed beyond acceptability! And after the last one, I was rather glad to have something light, pleasant and with a happy ending. Even if it seemed just a little bit contrived for me. It was still a nice little book.

And interesting idea about Turtle and the Autism Spectrum. I hadn't thought about it in those terms. I just figured she was acting out, and she had good reasons.

J.W. | 4 comments I enjoyed it. The mystery was surprising to me (to be fair, I like surprises in mysteries so I generally don’t try to figure them out). It was also pretty complex for juvenile fiction. I lied that too. I’d thought I’d read it before but can’t imagine forgetting it in its entirety if I had. I didn’t particularly connect with any characters.

Cheryl | 906 comments J.w. wrote: " It was also pretty complex for juvenile fiction."

Yes, I did like that. The author didn't talk down to the younger reader. She knew kids could handle a complex plot.

Sarah (sarahmott) | 352 comments Did anybody else think of the movie Clue while they were reading this?

Kelly | 77 comments Heh, I did. Especially the end

Sarah (sarahmott) | 352 comments Madeline Kahn totally steals the show in that movie https://youtu.be/z8d8y4BLWtI

Sarah wrote: "Madeline Kahn totally steals the show in that movie https://youtu.be/z8d8y4BLWtI"

She steals the show in everything!

Danielle (daniellebluecat) | 3 comments 💙💙💙Madeline Kahn💙💙💙

message 15: by John (new)

John | 42 comments Movie discussion. Watched a new flick this week."Searching" starring John Cho and directed by Aneesh Chagarty. Wow. It was done with a new format. Extremely entertaining and with this new format it used, by far one of this years' better flicks. Merry Christmas to all and have a great holiday, from work and school. Be Happy. Keep reading. Later.