Play Book Tag discussion

Haunted: Tales of the Grotesque
This topic is about Haunted
Archive: Other Books > Haunted: Tales of the Grotesque/Joyce Carol Oates/3.5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jamie Zaccaria | 211 comments Novelist, poet, dramatist and author of many of the best American short stories of our time, Joyce Carol Oates shows yet another aspect of her unbounded creativity in these tales of the grotesque. Haunted, a collection of sixteen tales that range from classic ghost stories to portrayals of chilling psychological terror, raises the genre to the level of fine literature - complex, multi-layered, and gripping fiction that is very scary indeed.

Here's the thing about JCO: her writing is more-often-then-not grotesque, violent, and rapey. And I usually hate those themes. However, her stories always draw me in anyway because her writing is just SO GOOD. I would say the last story in this collection crossed the line for me and I wish I could go back and un-read it. However, overall, it's a varied and fullfillingly grotesque collection.

message 2: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 485 comments It sounds like I should stay away from this book. I agree with you that JCO is an amazing writer. I read Blonde by her this year and I thought it was a great book but long.