The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Night Has a Thousand Eyes
This topic is about Night Has a Thousand Eyes
Group Read Discussions > December 2018 Group Read (Spoiler Thread): Night Has a Thousand Eyes by Cornell Woolrich

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill (new)

Bill | 5462 comments Spoil, spoil, spoil.. Enjoy

message 2: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8720 comments Mod
Spoilers are fine here. Just please keep them out of the main thread for this book.

Lisa | 95 comments Anyone else finished yet? I loved the plot and the vivid writing, and the general “noir” and old-time feel. It bogged down for me in the final third, got a bit wordy and the pace seemed to slow. I loved the part where the lieutenant set all his officers out to debunk the whole thing, and was looking forward to that process, but that’s just where it seemed to bog down.

message 4: by Franky (last edited Dec 25, 2018 09:12PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Franky | 903 comments Lisa wrote: "Anyone else finished yet? I loved the plot and the vivid writing, and the general “noir” and old-time feel. It bogged down for me in the final third, got a bit wordy and the pace seemed to slow. I ..."
I just finished two days ago and have been thinking about it a bit.
I thought the final parts were fine, although I do think it bogged down in the middle parts of the police procedural. I think the first part of the book was the strongest, where everything is set up in the first place. I really thought Woolrich had written himself into a corner at time...something had to give with the ending...That wasn't anything of what I expected. Very dark. In the end, very effective dark novel.

Tone  | 237 comments I enjoyed this book very much, especially the really dark athmosphere and the portraying of the characters. Woolrich was obviously a great writer, and I'm glad that I finally got to read one of his books.
However, I also felt that the strory became less gripping towards the end, and that the plot was a bit weak. Because of this it lost the fifth star of my intended rating.

Franky | 903 comments Tone wrote: "I enjoyed this book very much, especially the really dark athmosphere and the portraying of the characters. Woolrich was obviously a great writer, and I'm glad that I finally got to read one of his..."

Agree about the atmosphere and ambience. Woolrich really creates this entire aura of fatalism in the air. I think there is quite a bit of symbolic quality in the book too (the stars, the title of the book, etc).

Connie (connier) | 37 comments I think he wrote this book so that you had to decide what the outcome was. I found it to be very good and liked the dark aspect of it. I too believe that the stars were symbolic and felt that from the very beginning. I didn't particularly care for Jean, but given how she was brought up, I could see why she didn't really have any personality of her own.