Play Book Tag discussion

One of Our Thursdays Is Missing (Thursday Next, #6)
This topic is about One of Our Thursdays Is Missing
November 2018: Literary Fiction > One of Our Thursdays is Missing / Jasper Fforde. 3.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 8128 comments 3.5 stars

This one is told from the point of view of one of the written Thursday Nexts, not the real one. It turns out the real Thursday is missing, and this written Thursday is trying to help find her.

I liked this! I’d been putting this one off, as I don’t remember liking the past couple in the series as much as I started off liking it. I loved how Fforde described the written Thursday when she arrived in the real world, as it was all new to her. Now, I have to admit that sometimes it got a bit confusing trying to follow, but it is a very witty, creative series.

message 2: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6325 comments I love the Thursday Next series and think Jasper Fforde is one of the most inventive and creative writers to be found. Talk about 'out of the box!"

But they can be a tad confusing to follow, I have to agree.

I did not like his Shades of Grey as much as his other work, though. It had its moments, even though I don't really care if he ever continues with that series.

message 3: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2214 comments I haven’t read this one yet. I adore the series but, like you, got a bit confused with all the convolutions required to keep it going. But now I know to give it a try.

I *am* a ‘Shades of Grey’ fan - it just totally hit my sense of humour. Cackled my way though the entire thing and eager for the next.

I’ve recently read his latest, ‘Early Riser’ (must get round to doing a review), which is a stand-alone. It took me a lot longer to get into that one, though I enjoyed the process and ended up liking the book a lot. Fforde never explains the setup, any kind of history or how things work - you just have to go along for the ride and gradually piece his world together. Shades of Grey is similarly confusing in that respect but a lot funnier. I still got laughs out of Early Riser though, and there are some brilliant bits of dialogue. I’m in awe of the brain that can produce - and communicate - that level of mad imagination

message 4: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6325 comments KateNZ wrote: "the brain that can produce - and communicate - that level of mad imagination."

That is absolutely the perfect description of Jasper Fforde!

[and I did find Shades of Grey funny, but it just did not sing for me the way his others do. Have not read Early Riser.]

LibraryCin | 8128 comments I remember not being a big fan of "Shades of Grey", so not sure if I will look into "Early Riser" or not. I think there is one or two more Thursday Next books, though, so I do plan to finish that off.

message 6: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5641 comments I love Jasper Fforde, and particularly like this series. I was kinda dragged kicking and screaming into reading the first one and Boy!, did I get hooked!