Paper & Glam Book Club discussion

Skipping Christmas
This topic is about Skipping Christmas
Glam Archives | 2018 > December 2018: Skipping Christmas!

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisamarie (last edited Nov 30, 2018 10:10AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisamarie Landreth (paperandglam) | 237 comments Mod
Happy December Eve, Paper & Glam Readers!

Today we start our Christmas read, Skipping Christmas. This will be my first John Grisham title and I could not be more excited to discuss this fun, festive read together.

If you haven't snagged your copy, you can do so right here:
https://amzn.to/2TYa11O

Plus the movie adaptation staring Tim Allen!
https://amzn.to/2QqJTOh

Marisa (mickeymisa) | 17 comments Great easy read. Thanks for the pick.

message 3: by Mrs.Jones (new)

Mrs.Jones | 2 comments I thought so as well. At first I was going to skip this book (no pun intended) in silent protest because I am not to excited about Paper and Glam 2019 book club reading list. But when I saw on audio books it was less than 4 hours, I was like why not? Oh my did you see there is a movie adaptation? I’m going to watch it right now. Hopefully it will get me in the holiday spirits.

Leane I thought I was the only one not-too-happy about the 2019 reading list.

This was a cute book though. I plan on watching the movie as well.

message 5: by Paula (new) - added it

Paula (paulakaye) Nope you’re not alone! Usually a few of the books pique my interest! This year none of them appeal to me!

Glad you enjoyed it, Marisa! It's been a fun one for me, too!

Hi Mrs. Jones, Leane, and Paula, I'd love to know why you're not excited about our 2019 reading list. While I know it's not possible to please every reader, I do my very best with lots of input from P&G readers. I always welcome feedback and title suggestions for the upcoming year.

message 7: by Renee (new)

Renee | 1 comments Lisamarie wrote: "Glad you enjoyed it, Marisa! It's been a fun one for me, too!

Hi Mrs. Jones, Leane, and Paula, I'd love to know why you're not excited about our 2019 reading list. While I know it's not possible t..."

Hi Lisa, If I may jump in to answer the question regarding the book list. My reading preferences are darker than your list for 2019, but it seems your book club readers prefer lighter reads. And although the list didn't interest me, I'll continue to watch the monthly discussions. There have been a couple of instances when I've read a book after watching the discussion on Youtube. Obviously, you know you'll never be able to please everyone, but I'm guessing most P&G readers will be happy with the list. Keep up the good work.

Leane Lisamarie wrote: "Glad you enjoyed it, Marisa! It's been a fun one for me, too!

Hi Mrs. Jones, Leane, and Paula, I'd love to know why you're not excited about our 2019 reading list. While I know it's not possible t..."

I know you follow a certain formula and you are trying to appeal to a large group of people, as well as yourself. In the 3 years I've been in this book club I have read a few books I normally wouldn't have picked up and have greatly enjoyed them. (The March/thriller book of the year and the Lara Jean series to name a few.)
I'm not really into self help, chic lit or classics, which are most of the titles. It's fine. I'm not going to force myself to read every book and be annoyed. I will read the books that look interesting.

With that said, November 9 is an excellent choice!

message 9: by Brandi (new)

Brandi | 65 comments I love the books you pick exactly because they aren’t the ones I would normally pick myself!!! I will be reading all the 2019 books except catch-22 as that was my ex’s favorite book 🥴

message 10: by Kate (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kate (drkt) | 8 comments Honestly I’m super excited for the books this coming year! There’s maybe a few I wouldn’t necessarily pick up but that’s one of the things I love about this book club! I love the mix of books and being stretched out of my comfort zone. For example All the wonderful and beautiful things is a book I probably wouldn’t have picked up but it turned out to be a favorite read of the year.

Robin (rwaggs) | 16 comments I read Skipping Christmas when it was released, and a few times since. It's a nice story that is meant to only reveal simple truths like family, being a good neighbor, and being present. Are there problems with the story? Of course! I've yet to read a book that I thought was perfect. But this was only the 2nd non-legal-based story by John Grisham, and I think it's... nice. Again, this is not a great story that dives into our souls, but it's a light holiday read that I rather enjoy.

Leane Robin wrote: "I read Skipping Christmas when it was released, and a few times since. It's a nice story that is meant to only reveal simple truths like family, being a good neighbor, and being present. Are there ..."

I agree, Robin. Cute, light story with good reminders for the holidays. I'm planning on watching the movie this month.

message 13: by S (new)

S N | 1 comments I enjoyed Skipping Christmas. I needed to read something light-hearted and humorous and this book delivered.

Cletie Hogan | 5 comments I’ve been on an Xmas book binge... I liked it but Letter From Father Christmas wins hands down.

Hello P&G Readers!

I hope December is treating you well and you're enjoying this light, festive read.

Here are our discussion questions for Skipping Christmas:

Ice Breaker - What was the best book you read in 2018 (on or off the P&G reading list)? 

1. What was your experience reading Skipping Christmas? How many frosties would you rate it?

2. This book is full of 90s nostalgia! Did you notice anything referenced in the book that doesn’t exist in our world twenty years later? -

3. Did you find the neighbors on Hemlock’s behavior appropriate while the Kranks were skipping Christmas? What about after they learned Blair was coming home for Christmas? 

4. Vic Frohmeyer sends out a memo to Hemlock Street when it’s time to put up Frosty. It was even a gold star moment in the neighborhood, if you got your Frosty up first. Do you feel pressure to be among the first with your Christmas decor even if you prefer to go at your own pace?

5. Do you live in a neighborhood with communal Christmas celebrations? Or did you grow up in a neighborhood with communal Christmas traditions like those of Hemlock Street?

6. What was your impression of Blair’s relationship with her parents? Did you agree with the Krank’s choice to not let Blair in on their plans? 

7. If you watched the movie adaptation, Christmas With The Kranks, how did the book compare?

See you live @ 6 PM EST/9 PM EST on Thursday, December 20th.

Thanks for reading along with us and taking the time to share your thoughts,
Lisamarie