Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2019 Plans > Val's 2019 YA/Childrens Expanding Plan

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Valerie (last edited Oct 08, 2019 12:28PM) (new)

Valerie | 357 comments 2019 ATY List 📖 = Reading ✓ = Read On GR ATY as Val’s 2019 YA Expanding Plan

✓ 1. A book that was nominated for or won an award in a genre you enjoy: Velvet Undercover by Brown; ✓ The Listeners by Whelan; ✓The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches (338) by Bradley

✓ 2. A book with one of the 5 W's in the title (Who, What, Where, When, Why): What I Saw and How I Lied (284)by Blundell

✓ 3. A book where the author’s name contains A, T, and Y: Between Shades of Gray by Sepetys; ✓ Hello, Universe (320)by Kelly

✓ 4. A book with a criminal character (i.e. assassin, pirate, thief, robber, scoundrel, etc): Burn Baby Burn(310) by Medina; 📖 Miracle Creek by Kim

✓ 5. A book by Shakespeare or inspired by Shakespeare:: Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead by Stoppard

✓ 6. A book with a dual timeline: Mare’s War(352) by Davis(L)

✓ 7. 2 books related to the same topic, genre, or theme: Book #1: A Death-Struck Year (288)by Lucier(L)

✓ 8. 2 books related to the same topic, genre, or theme: Book #2: Outrun the Moon(391) by Lee(L)

9. A book from one of the top 5 money-making genres (romance/erotica, crime/mystery,
religious/inspirational, science fiction/fantasy or horror): Cate of the Lost Colony(336)(L) by Klein; ✓ The Girl Is Murder by Haines; ✓ The Mutual Admiration Society by Kagen;
📖 Postcards from A Stranger by Clark

10. A book featuring a historical figure: The Berlin Boxing Club(399) by Sharenow(L)

✓ 11. A book related to one of the 12 Zodiac Chinese Animals (title, cover, subject): The Fire Horse Girl(321) by Honeyman

✓ 12. A book about reading, books or an author/writer: The Lightning Dreamer by Engle; ✓Unsolicited by Kaewert

✓ 13. A book that is included in a New York Public Library Staff Picks list: Photographic by Quintero

✓ 14. A book with a title, subtitle or cover relating to an astronomical term: Cleopatra’s Moon(355) by Shecter (L)

✓ 15. A book by an author from a Mediterranean country or set in a Mediterranean country: Pharoah’s Daughter(192) by Lester; ✓ Spiky by Guarducci

✓ 16. A book told from multiple perspectives: What We Hide (288)by Jocelyn; ✓ The Bad Seed by John

✓ 17. A speculative fiction (i.e. fantasy, sci-fi, horror, dystopia): The Red Necklace (371) by Gardner; ✓ Smoke and Summons by Holmberg

✓ 18. A book related to one of the elements on the periodic table of elements: Copper Sun(320) by Draper(L)

✓ 19. A book by an author who has more than one book on your TBR: Out of the Easy (348)by Sepetys(L) (e)

✓ 20. A book featuring indigenous people of a country: Boston Jane by Holm; Into the Jungle by Ferencik

✓ 21. A book from one of the polarizing or close call votes(Ancient Civilization): Daughter of Xanadu(304) by Yang(L) (e)

✓22. A book with a number in the title or on the cover: Three Rivers Rising(304) by Richards

✓ 23. 4 books inspired by the wedding rhyme: Book #1 Something Old: A Brief History of Montmaray by Cooper; ✓ The Memory String by Bunting;

✓ 24. 4 books inspired by the wedding rhyme: Book #2 Something New: Accidents of Nature by Johnson, ✓The Female Persuasion by Wolitzer

✓ 25. 4 books inspired by the wedding rhyme: Book #3 Something Borrowed: Flygirl (285)by Smith

26. 4 books inspired by the wedding rhyme: Book #4 Something Blue: The Wicked and The Just (325)by Anderson(L),

✓ 27. A book off of the 1001 books to read before you die list: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night(226) by Haddon

✓ 28. A book related to something cold (i.e. theme, title, author, cover, etc.): Vengeance Road(327) by Bowman(L) (e)

✓ 29. A book published before 1950: Gulliver’s Travels(306) by Swift; ✓ An Accidental Honeymoon by Tom Potter, ✓ Tenant in Death by Cyril Hare

✓ 30. A book featuring an elderly character: Code Talker(240) by Bruchac

✓ 31. A children’s classic you’ve never read: The BFG by Dahl

32. A book with more than 500 pages: Children of Blood and Bone (531)by Adeyemi(L) (e)

✓ 33. A book you have owned for at least a year, but have not read yet: Heartlight by Barron

✓ 34. A book with a person's name in the title: Bloody Jack (304)by Meyer(L) (e)

✓ 35. A psychological thriller: Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Riggs

✓ ✓ 36. A book featured on an NPR Best Books of the Year list: I Am the Messenger(356) by Zusak(L) (e)

✓ 37. A book set in a school or university: Sorcery and Cecelia (326)by Wrede; ✓ Educated by Westover

✓ 38. A book not written in traditional novel format (poetry, essay, epistolary, graphic novel, etc): The Poet X (368)by Acevedo(L); ✓ The Crossover (240) by Alexander

✓ 39. A book with a strong sense of place or where the author brings the location/setting to life: BloodLine(312) by Moran(L)

40. A book upon which you stumbled : 📖 X: A Novel(348) by Shabazz(L), 📖 Kingbird Highway by Kaufman

✓ 41. A book from the 2018 GR Choice Awards: Save the Date by Matson

✓ 42. A book with a monster or "monstrous" character: Before We Were Free(192) by Alvarez; ✓ Separate Is Never Equal by Tonatiuh;

✓ 43. A book related to STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) [fiction or nonfiction]: An American Plague by Murphy

✓ 44. A book related in some way to a tv show/series or movie you enjoyed (same tv topic, same era, a book appeared in the show/movie, etc.) The Revolution of Evelyn Serrano(224) by Manzano; ✓ Born A Crime by Noah

✓ 45. A multi-generational saga: The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Walton; 📖 Everything You Are by King

✓ 46. A book with a (mostly) black cover: Audacity(400) by Crowder(L)

✓ 47. A book related to food (i.e. title, cover, plot, etc.): Food, Girls and Other Things I Cannot Have by Zadoff

✓ 48. A book that was a finalist or winner for the National Book Award for any year: The Pox Party(351) by Anderson(L)

✓ 49. A book was written by a Far East Asian author or set in a Far East Asian country: Climbing the Stairs(256) by Venkatraman

✓ 50. A book that includes a journey (physical, health, or spiritual): A Big Dose of Lucky(264) by Jocelyn

✓ 51. A book published in 2019: The Golden Tresses of the Dead (352) by Bradley; ✓ The Case of the Moderate Extremists by Smith

52. A book with a weird or intriguing title: Black Dove, White Raven(368) by Wein; ✓ The Scarlet Stocking Spy by Noble(L); 📖 The Clothes They Stood Up In by Bennett

message 2: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 357 comments This year I am doing what I have always threatened, I am reading kids books. More specifically, at first, I am reading Young Adult Historical Fiction. I have managed to do so in all but a few categories. I have stayed with Young Adult throughout, however. Once I have finished my initial list, I may switch to Middle Grades for the Expanding portion of my challenge. In 2018, I managed to have all the books I read fit into one category or another on that list. Thus everything I read counted toward my challenge.