What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > The dead comes back to visit living people

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Olivia (last edited Nov 30, 2018 06:41AM) (new)

Olivia Lo | 7 comments I remember only few things about the novel:

1. I think I read it 10-15 years ago.
2. The protagonist is likely to be a school boy (around 10-15 years of age?).
3. I think the dead person is him or his best friend.
4. The dead comes back to visit his (or maybe her??) living classmates or his best friend (the protagonist??) in a classroom.
5. The plot is moving and touching (at least at some point), trying to teach something about love and forgiving.
6. I keep thinking there's a theme about bullying (hence the forgiving part) but it may not be in the plot at all.
7. The cover seems to be blue in tone (I keep thinking of an image of a blue sky) but I read the Chinese translation and I'm not sure if the cover image is the same as the original version.

Sorry, the clues are few and may not be helpful.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33472 comments Mod
Olivia, what is the story's time period and location - country, region, big city/small town?

How did the child die? Why does s/he visit the other children (e.g., revenge, solve a mystery)? Who can see this ghost? (Spoilers are okay - just give us a clear warning before revealing a spoiler, or use the spoiler html tag.)

message 3: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Lo | 7 comments Kris wrote: "Olivia, what is the story's time period and location - country, region, big city/small town?

How did the child die? Why does s/he visit the other children (e.g., revenge, solve a mystery)? Who can..."

I'm not sure about the time period and location, except that it is set at modern (current) time.
I think only the one whom the ghost is visiting can see him/her.
Also, I don't think the ghost part is the main point of the story -- just one of the most touching moments. What I've been describing is all about that scene. I can't remember any other plot from the story.

message 4: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (oobridgetoo) | 172 comments Maybe Generation Dead by Daniel Waters? ;)

message 5: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Lo | 7 comments Bridget wrote: "Maybe Generation Dead by Daniel Waters? ;)"

Thanks for your suggestion, but it's not the book :(
Generation Dead doesn't have a Chinese version and the plot and genre doesn't fit.

message 6: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Marquis | 219 comments I could be way off, but for a book to be translated to Chinese, it would have to be fairly popular. This wildly popular book features a girl/ghost/protagonist but not so much of a school setting. But it is deeply moving and the colour blue, and the sky are mental images you take away from the book and cover. And there are Chinese editions.
The Lovely Bones

message 7: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Lo | 7 comments Joseph wrote: "I could be way off, but for a book to be translated to Chinese, it would have to be fairly popular. This wildly popular book features a girl/ghost/protagonist but not so much of a school setting. B..."

Yes, for a book to be translated into Chinese, usually it is quite popular.
I think this might be it! Still, I'll have to read it before I can be sure. The cover of the Chinese version isn't nearly the same as the English version, but again, I might remember it wrong. Thanks!

If there are other suggestions, please tell me :)

message 8: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16265 comments Olivia, was The Lovely Bones your book?