Play Book Tag discussion

Becoming
This topic is about Becoming
Archive: Other Books > Becoming - Michelle Obama - 5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Becoming is not a book about politics. It is not a book about Red and Blue. This is a book about a strong woman who is not so fond of politics but loves her country.

There is a great deal to admire about Michelle Obama. A young woman brought up on the other side of the tracks in Chicago, went to Princeton and then Harvard for her law degree, and became the First Lady Of The United States. Some of her success was due to luck, but most are due to her intelligence and her hard work.

Michelle Obama tells us she is writing this book to inspire the next generation. She knows how important role models are, especially for young women of color in a culture that isn’t changing fast enough. She says in her book, “Here I am, I have got a lot to say.” What I discovered in this book is a woman opening herself and her world to everyone who wants to read about her life. Hers is a well-written book, spoken with honesty and integrity.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments I am 1/3 of the way through this and am loving it!!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

This is one of my favorites this month!

message 4: by annapi (last edited Nov 30, 2018 06:39AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

annapi | 4973 comments This is on my TBR and I haven't gotten around to it yet, but your review is encouraging!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

annapi wrote: "This is on my TBR and I haven't gotten around to it yet, but your review is encouraging!"

What I really loved about it is that it is not all politics but just her story. Her childhood, marriage, children, being African-American. There is certainly some politics but that is not the central focus. This is what I loved. I wanted to know about Michelle and when I was finished I felt like I did.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments I have just gotten to where her and Barack are seriously dating, so everything to this point has been about her family and childhood in Chicago.

I learned so much about her. I knew her mother lived with them at the White House and assumed her father had passed, but I did not know that he had MS. My heart broke when she talked about her father never complaining and never missing a shift at work despite the fact that he needed two canes to walk.

I also think her genuine concern for education and opportunities for minorities shines through.

message 7: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8519 comments Two of my friends went to see her here in Boston, and they were astounded. They say it’s what you want your daughters to see it here. Also my husband, who doesn’t read at all, bought her book where it is proudly displayed. It does appear to be moving around the house. I wonder if he’ll actually read it. But so glad that he bought it.

message 8: by Nicole R (last edited Nov 30, 2018 08:11AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments Amy wrote: "Two of my friends went to see her here in Boston, and they were astounded. They say it’s what you want your daughters to see it here. Also my husband, who doesn’t read at all, bought her book where..."

I really wanted to go see her in Boston, but I was appalled at how much tickets were. Yes, I am sure that she has very little to do with setting the prices, but as a woman who has branded herself as being accessible and works to even the playing field for minorities and the economically disadvantaged, I was disappointed that actually being inspired by her personally was still limited to those with hundreds of dollars in disposable income.

Now, if I lived in Chicago where Oprah interviewed her, I would have found the money! But even then, you would think it would be even more important to have two of the most successful minority women of our time, who both worked their way from limited means and are from/associated with Chicago, to be more inclusive of audience members.

*rant over*

message 9: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8519 comments You’re not wrong Nicole. And fact I think you make a very interesting point about the statement that is made, even if Michelle herself has nothing to do with it. But thank God that books make a message accessible. It’s my hope that her book will be the best and most popular Christmas gift of the season. Holiday gift, what have you. It is absolutely a privilege of the wealthy to be able to spend one’s money I’m such a thing. Kong

message 10: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7476 comments I was lucky enough to see her speak on the campaign trail a few years back-fell in love with her.

message 11: by Joni (new)

Joni | 612 comments Nicole R wrote: "Amy wrote: "Two of my friends went to see her here in Boston, and they were astounded. They say it’s what you want your daughters to see it here. Also my husband, who doesn’t read at all, bought he..."

I would like to say that she probably did have a part in the cost. Speakers have a cost that they want to be paid to speak. Some people/organizations are willing to pay that price, so they either eat the cost of the speaker by allowing free or lost cost admission or they charge a high fee to cover the speakers fee and possibly make a profit. So it all goes back to what her fee was.....but not 100% on her.

message 12: by Theresa (last edited Nov 30, 2018 11:34AM) (new) - added it

Theresa | 6671 comments Nicole R wrote: "Amy wrote: "Two of my friends went to see her here in Boston, and they were astounded. They say it’s what you want your daughters to see it here. Also my husband, who doesn’t read at all, bought he..."

Actually, she's also starting to appear in bookstores for interviews, readings, and signings, and there is no cost. However, they are having to be managed for a host of reason .... meaning here in NYC at the Union Square B & N, the announcement says they will be handing out a limited number of wristbands at 9 AM for her 11 AM appearance...and I guaranty there will be people lined up outside B & N starting at least the day before. It's happened with other high profile authors, like Tina Fey for Bossypants and George RR Martin for Dance With Dragons - and neither had the extra Secret Service mandates.

On the other hand, while there are still tickets to be had to see her at Brooklyn's The Barclay Center on December 1 or 11th, I am passing for 2 reasons - the venue is massive so watching her on her TV appearances is far more satisfying, and the cost is more than I am willing to pay -- you can see Harry Potter and the Cursed Child on both nights in orchestra seats for that price. The pricing is way too high, absolutely.

message 13: by Theresa (new) - added it

Theresa | 6671 comments Oh, and I'm planning to buy my copy of her book at the newly opened Shakespeare & Co. bookstore near Lincoln Center tonight.

Booknblues | 5767 comments I really enjoyed this book as well. There is so much to admire about Michelle Obama and she is an inspiration. It shines through how much she cares about children and I really appreciate that.

I've only done one other audiobook and that is Trevor Noah's but I think this one was worth it do. I liked being able to hear it in her voice.

message 15: by Joi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3809 comments I put myself on the waitlist for the overdrive audio. I'm officially the 203rd person (with 13 copies)....

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments I just finished this!

I tested up many, many times. I just adore her.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Isn't this book amazing?!

Kelly | 802 comments Such a good book!