Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Pick-a-Shelf: Monthly -Archive > 2018-12 - Archaeology - What did you think of your finds (books)?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8678 comments Mod
Did you find something precious or just sherds*?

Don't forget to nominate a shelf with your post :)

*In archaeology, a sherd, or more precisely, potsherd, is commonly a historic or prehistoric fragment of pottery, although the term is occasionally used to refer to fragments of stone and glass vessels, as well. - cuz I've just read The Shadowy Horses

message 2: by Rosemary (last edited Dec 06, 2018 07:38AM) (new)

Rosemary | 849 comments I read The Crossing Places by Elly Griffiths
The Crossing Places (Ruth Galloway, #1) by Elly Griffiths

This is the first in a mystery series with an archaeologist (Ruth Galloway) as the main character. She lives in an isolated coastal region of eastern England. The police call her in to investigate the discovery of a skeleton, thinking it may be the body of a child who went missing ten years before.

I found this rather slow, but enjoyable and promising enough to be worth continuing with the series when I come across them. 3 stars.

Shelf nomination: Singles: https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

message 3: by Tien (new)

I read The Atlantis Code (Thomas Lourds #1) by Charles Brokaw which I'm only rating 2.5 stars.

It looked to be a fun read but meh, he's another Robert Langdon (incl. all his womanising ways etc) and I found that I don't really care for those Vatican conspiracy stories (not that I'm a Vatican fan or anything like that but maybe I've just had enough after all the Dan Brown's I've read). I did really like one of the side characters though, she literally kicks ass & Russian so when she 'speaks', I've got Russian accents for her in my head; that was fun. Otherwise, it was a tad long & meh.

I'm nominating: action-spy

message 4: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) | 3114 comments Rosemary and Tien, you both are quick!

A shame the book was a bit slow, Rosemary.

Tien, that's how i feel about Robert Langdon's adventures too.

message 5: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria | 92 comments I read The Last Camel Died at Noon. Bestselling author Peters brings back 19th-century Egyptologist Amelia Peabody and her entourage in a delicious caper that digs up mystery in the shadow of the pyramids.

My review:

While I love this whole series, this installment may have been my least favorite so far. It's a different style than the first 5, more of a satire of adventure novels. However, any Amelia Peabody is good to me!

I nominate Women Authors

message 6: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 1606 comments I read The Bards of Bone Plain by accident. When I was a few chapters in I thought "This sounds like it could be on the archaeology shelf" so I looked and it was.
If you like your archaeology with magic and music then this is the book for you. I gave it 4 stars.

I nominate musicians.

I am really enjoying investigating the shelves other people nominate.

message 7: by Tien (new)

Coralie wrote: "I read The Bards of Bone Plain by accident. When I was a few chapters in I thought "This sounds like it could be on the archaeology shelf" so I looked and it was.
If you like your ar..."

This does sound interesting, Coralie.

message 8: by Tien (new)

Just a quick reminder that you don't have to nominate shelves that have yet to be nominated. You can nominate other shelves that have been nominated & that you found interesting & thereby, increasing the chance of it being picked sooner than later ;)

If you want to review what's been nominated: shelf list

message 9: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 603 comments I read The Mummy Case by Elizabeth Peters.

It's funny, I don't usually like historical fiction but I have thing about Victorian heroines who buck societal norms. And Amelia Peabody is one of those types of heroines.

This book in finds Amelia and her husband on another archaeological expedition but this time with their very precocious son. And of course, there's a mystery that seems to find them and they have to solve it.

This book was funny and entertaining. Their son, Ramses, was a complete trip.

I will definitely continue on with this series.

My next shelf to nominate is: Sports

message 10: by Judy (new)

Judy | 170 comments I read Temples, Tombs & Hieroglyphs: A Popular History of Ancient Egypt by Barbara Mertz - 3 stars

This book was first published in 1964 (with at least one revision, I think) so I'm not sure if the archeology parts remain current.

I liked the writing style, it was more story-telling, than dry facts. The author wrote the Amelia Peabody series (as Elizabeth Peters) which I loved. Some of her style came across in this non-fiction book.

The "history" parts were good, but because there was so much history, she doesn't really cover anything in-depth.

I would like to "second" the shelf guilty-pleasure-reads
https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

message 11: by LynnB (last edited Dec 15, 2018 10:41PM) (new)

LynnB | 1645 comments I read The Chalk Pit by Elly Griffiths. It's #9 in the series. I do have to say that I liked some of the earlier books better than this particular story line, but it was still good. I enjoy the interactions between the main characters.

I'll nominate epistolary

message 12: by Bea (last edited Dec 22, 2018 07:12PM) (new)

Bea | 4659 comments Mod
I read Artifacts by Mary Anna Evans and gave it 4*.

This story is set in the Panhandle of Florida (USA). Faye is a budding archaeologist, who is both dedicated to her developing career...as well as trying to save her heritage. This story has all the hallmarks of a good mystery tale...the history of Faye's ancestors, the ancestral land, dead bodies old and new, a native American friend, shady characters...and a professor who believes in her. I loved the journey into this world and how real it felt.

If it were not for this shelf, I would not have met this author. Thanks.

I nominate Female Sleuth.

message 13: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1400 comments I read Crocodile on the Sandbank and gave it 3 stars. I confess I didn't know of the Amelia Peabody series, but I liked it and want to continue with the next books. For which I thank this month's shelf. None of the characters is really likeable, but I think this was intended and I actually found Amelia and even Emerson quite endearing... Evelyn is preposterous, but again, I think she is meant as a sort of satire of such heroines as abound in gothic tales and such. The story was fun, although I solved the mystery early on, near the beginning to be honest. Still, this didn't deprive me of the fun. I would recommend this book.

My shelf nomination: dark.

message 14: by Christina (new)

Christina Byrne (cmbyrne87) | 160 comments I read Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies, because my husband ( a history major) is into that kind of thing and said I should. And I (not a history major/barely passed history) nearly died reading this. I'm going to give it 3 stars because the person did a good job writing it and did a lot of research and some parts were interesting and I feel bad rating it too low and knocking down its score just because I'm an uncultured anti-history buff. But Oh. My. God. I remember why I don't do these, that was painful. If you like books that would discuss what aspects of different cultures allowed them to reach their current level of success/prosperity in the modern world, then this is for you.

And to distance myself from this pain I'm nominating Whimsical as the shelf.

message 15: by Abbie (last edited Dec 29, 2018 02:36PM) (new)

Abbie | 174 comments I read The Lost City of the Monkey God
The Lost City of the Monkey God by Douglas Preston
22/29
4 stars

I cant believe I hadnt really heard of this discover before! I had to google all this, just so I can see everything that happened.
Some parts of the books seemed to drag, but it was an interesting read.
Discovering old Cities in todays world should have been more news than what I found. And of course I cant really find any updates about it.

BTW this is my FIRST Pick a Shelf, shelf!

I guess I will recommend: True Crime

message 16: by Elvenn (new)

Elvenn | 715 comments Abbie DiscoSuperFly wrote: "I read The Lost City of the Monkey God..."

I've just added it to my tbr. It sounds like a very interesting read! I had heard about different legendary cities before (after all, the river by my city was named after one of such elusive places, the City of the White King) but I didn't know about the discovery or the huge archeological effort done in the region... And to have it explained by Douglas Preston..!

Also, congrats on your first Pick-a-shelf, shelf! Don't forget to add your own shelf nomination.

message 17: by Abbie (new)

Abbie | 174 comments Elvenn wrote: "Abbie DiscoSuperFly wrote: "I read The Lost City of the Monkey God..."

I've just added it to my tbr. It sounds like a very interesting read! I had heard about different legendary c..."

Thanks I just added it in!

message 18: by Abbie (last edited Dec 30, 2018 04:37PM) (new)

Abbie | 174 comments One last one!

Timeline
Timeline by Michael Crichton
12/29
3 stars

I watched the movies years ago, and have been wanting to read the book ever since. I finally got to pick up a copy this weekend. A group of Archeologist find old papers mixed with new stuff, but the carbon dating goes back to the past. The group then go back in time...and everything they dug up in the begining is explained.

Suggested Shelf:
Civilzation

message 19: by Elvenn (new)

Elvenn | 715 comments For this shelf I read The Merchant's House by Kate Ellis, a book where we follow a police detective that is looking for a child that has gone missing and investigating the death of a young woman. The detective has a decree in Archaeology and in his free time he hangs out with his friend from university, who's in charge of a dig in the same town and is trying to figure out why there are bones buried in the cellar of a 17th century house.

The book wasn't among the best police procedurals I've read but as the introductory title to a long series it was all right, it had a few well developed characters and the archaeological question gave the whole story an original twist. My only complaints would be about the detective's wife's problems and the unlikely 17th century journal- about which I couldn't make myself care- and the frequent use of abbreviations for local divisions, locations or forces named differently in other countries...

The Merchant's House (Wesley Peterson #1) by Kate Ellis Rating: 4 stars

Shelf nomination: Gothic

message 20: by Lusie (last edited Jan 23, 2019 11:06AM) (new)

Lusie (illusie) | 3114 comments I was late with completing my books for this one. I read Relic by Douglas Preston & Lincold Child [14-jan-19] 3 stars
Relic (Pendergast, #1) by Douglas Preston

For me the murders were too gruesome. I like Pendergast and D'Agosta. They are a great team. The writing and suspense are good. What I didn't like was that the book was weird. Still debating if I should give this series another try. This is the second book I'm reading of the series. I felt the same way about the other book (#6 of the series)

I didn't finish it in the right month, so I don't think I'm allowed to nominate a shelf