Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Pick-a-Shelf: Monthly -Archive > 2018-12 - Archaeology - Which books do you dig?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8678 comments Mod
Well, I must say that this year keeps taking me by surprise! I just CANNOT believe it's the last day of November!!

Apologies for posting this thread so late :/

For December, we're looking to discover some fine archaeology reads. Which books do you dig? :p

message 2: by Tien (new)

I'm too tired today; stayed up late last night (bcuz, v. good book! and I lost sense of time), up early, and it's getting on 10pm and I'm ready to crash... an excuse for my very bad pun lol

I'm going to be reading The Atlantis Code for this shelf which will fit MM18 (second last book!!) and WoB Round 1 (last book!!!)

message 3: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1400 comments Woah, this is going to be tricky! I don't have anything that fits, neither on my owned TBR nor on my wishlist! I'll have to look closer at some of the books listed to see if something appeals to me, otherwise I'm afraid I'll have to pass for this month... which would be a first since I've joined the group!

message 4: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4659 comments Mod
Well, it looks like I might be starting a new series with this shelf.

I will either read Artifacts (on my TBR) or The Crossing Places (Book #3 is on my TBR).

message 5: by Tien (new)

I don't have many either, Marina, and surprisingly, the book I chose to read wasn't shown on the page even tho shelved 7x as archaeology. Pretty sure, spelling is the same too... strange...

message 6: by Lusie (last edited Nov 30, 2018 11:40PM) (new)

Lusie (illusie) | 3114 comments I have several that are already on my tbr :) I'll probably pick 1 of them after I completed all 2008 challenges

Crocodile on the Sandbank
Relic
Birthright
Déjà Dead
And Only to Deceive
Mount Dragon
Mr. Impossible

I've read a few of the books. Most I gave 3 stars or lower, so I will only post the books I gave 4 stars.

I liked Deep Storm. I like this author. It's a mostly realistic thriller with a bit of science fiction thrown in.
Deep Storm (Jeremy Logan, #1) by Lincoln Child

In the Woods is very good. It's a detective. Book 2 is even better! I want to continue this series next year.
In the Woods (Dublin Murder Squad, #1) by Tana French

message 7: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 849 comments The Crossing Places for me! It's the last book on my Moving Mountains list, so I need to get it read this month :)

message 8: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 1042 comments I will go with Murder in Mesopotamia

message 9: by Christina (new)

Christina Byrne (cmbyrne87) | 160 comments For this month I am going to read Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies. Because my husband (a history major) would really like me to. And because it's on some of my other challenges. And because I keep putting it off because I'm mildly intimidated by it. And I tend to do much better about reading things that I dedicate to this challenge (accountability? like Weight Watchers? lol) So I'm using yall to make me read this monster.

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3451 comments Mod
Citadel

I loved the two prior books in the series.

message 11: by Karin (new)

Karin | 801 comments Recommended for those looking who like y/a scifi, and I've just shelved these this way as I've read the series, the first two books in this series qualify, and they are better than the lame titles.

Earth Girl is the first and Earth Star the second. I don't recall much archaelogy in the third.

message 12: by Karin (new)

Karin | 801 comments So, I have a whopping one book marked want to read on the entire 25 pages (but it's on there more than once), and may get to it. While I haven't read many books on that shelf, I've read ones as diverse as The Iliaid, Crocodile on the Sandbank and Chariots of the Gods.

One other suggestion, but might be hard to find, that totally fits is The Ice People.

I'm mentioning books for people here who are also in a group reading geek reads.

message 13: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1400 comments Nope, I won't pass - I've purchased Crocodile on the Sandbank at 0.99€ :P

message 14: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) | 3114 comments That's a bargain. I hope the book is good, Marina! Great that you will join after all!

message 15: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1400 comments Lusie wrote: "That's a bargain. I hope the book is good, Marina! Great that you will join after all!"

I'd hate missing the monthly shelf, I've always joined since I've been a member :)

message 16: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) | 3114 comments that's cool. I haven't played it for a while, but am planning to participate more next year because it's such a fun challenge.

message 17: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria | 92 comments Marina (Sonnenbarke) wrote: "Nope, I won't pass - I've purchased Crocodile on the Sandbank at 0.99€ :P"

Im actually going to read The Last Camel Died at Noon which is maybe the 5th or 6th in the series. I hope you love Crocodile like i did and contimke to read about Amelia Peabody!

message 18: by Karin (new)

Karin | 801 comments Lusie wrote: "I have several that are already on my tbr :) I'll probably pick 1 of them after I completed all 2008 challenges

Crocodile on the Sandbank
Relic
[book:Birthright|114203..."

Yes, I agree about In the Woods!

message 19: by Karin (new)

Karin | 801 comments The one on my tbr is The Bad-Ass Librarians of Timbuktu: And Their Race to Save the World’s Most Precious Manuscripts so I'm going to see if I can get it from the library and get to it this month!

message 20: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments Marina (Sonnenbarke) wrote: "Nope, I won't pass - I've purchased Crocodile on the Sandbank at 0.99€ :P"

This book is a hilarious! I should probably continue that series but I've been in a Sci-Fi kick for a while...

message 21: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1645 comments I plan to read The Chalk Pit by Elly Griffiths. It's my next book up in the Ruth Galloway series.

message 22: by Tien (new)

D.G. wrote: "Marina (Sonnenbarke) wrote: "Nope, I won't pass - I've purchased Crocodile on the Sandbank at 0.99€ :P"

This book is a hilarious! I should probably continue that series but I've be..."

The one recommended by Karin in #12, The Ice People is sci-fi...

message 23: by Elvenn (new)

Elvenn | 715 comments If I find enough time I'd like to give The Merchant's House (by Kate Ellis) a chance.