What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Book about a woman who grew up poor and made herself rich; later got revenge on those who looked down on her

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (last edited Nov 30, 2018 07:40AM) (new)

Karen | 262 comments I have always wanted to read a story like this. I once watched a movie/short series called A Woman of Substance. It was quite good and I've always wanted to read a story like it.

In A Woman of Substance the MC is a maid in a rich house. She gets involved with one of the sons of the household. Ends up pregnant. She is cast out of the house and given no help. She vows revenge and while raising her child on her own starts a small store, that in time grows into a popular dept store. She ends up the competition of the business of the family that mistreated her when she was a maid.

It was soo awesome! So I'm looking for something with a similar premise. Poor girl becomes rich through her own hard work. When she was poor people looked down on her and later when she's well off she kind of sticks it to them. Romance would be a plus but not 100% needed.

Thank you!

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32268 comments Mod
Book mentioned by Karen - A Woman of Substance by Barbara Taylor Bradford

message 3: by Lynda (new)

Lynda McCoy | 5 comments Karen wrote: "I have always wanted to read a story like this. I once watched a movie/short series called A Woman of Substance. It was quite good and I've always wanted to read a story like it.

In A Woman of Sub..."

That sounds good! I'll add it to my to read list. I think you might like the one I'm trying to find the title of.

Thanks!

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen | 262 comments Oh if you remember the title let me know :)

message 5: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1040 comments Princess Daisy by Judith Krantz is an older book of this type that you might enjoy.

message 7: by Lynda (new)

Lynda McCoy | 5 comments Karen wrote: "Oh if you remember the title let me know :)"

Will do!

message 8: by Lynda (new)

Lynda McCoy | 5 comments ``Laurie wrote: "Princess Daisy by Judith Krantz is an older book of this type that you might enjoy."

Thanks, I'll add it to my list!

message 9: by Lynda (new)

Lynda McCoy | 5 comments Thanks, I'll add it to my list!

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1532 comments You might like The Custom of the Country by Edith Wharton. It's about a social climber. She doesn't exactly seek revenge on people but she is extremely scheming and manipulative.

message 11: by Moloch (new)

Moloch | 273 comments Vanity Fair? Not sure