Play Book Tag discussion

Circe
This topic is about Circe
November 2018: Literary Fiction > Circe, by Madeline Miller, 4.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ (last edited Nov 29, 2018 09:23PM) (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4887 comments Circe by Madeline Miller. I'd give this book 4.5 stars.
I really enjoyed this book about the goddess Circe, who is best known as a character in The Odyssey. I knew just enough mythology to appreciate the references, but not so much that I was bored by it (or picky about the details). I like that the author showed us alternative perspectives of characters and stories from other books. I also liked the feminist messages, the adventures, and Circe's relationships and growth over time. I really liked the ending. It felt earned, not arbitrary or convenient. I made additional comments about this book in the buddy read. This book strongly reinforced my opinions that immortality would be very lonely, and Gods are capricious and often cruel.

I initially gave this book 5 stars, and I might lower my rating to 4 stars. It will depend on how much I continue to think about the book over the next few weeks or months.

message 2: by Theresa (last edited Nov 29, 2018 09:27PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Theresa | 6057 comments 'Earned' is an apt description of the ending!

KateNZ | 2207 comments Very apt - that’s such a lovely way to put it

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Good review. This book will have you thinking for some time.

Magdalena | 414 comments Wonderful review! I really liked how the author showed us alternative perspectives to characters and stories as well.

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7102 comments Lovely review-so glad you enjoyed it!

message 7: by NancyJ (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4887 comments Thanks for the comments!