Play Book Tag discussion

Every Note Played
This topic is about Every Note Played
November 2018: Literary Fiction > Every Note Played, by Lisa Genova, 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ (last edited Nov 29, 2018 09:06PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4980 comments Every Note Played, by Lisa Genova.
This book touched me deeply and helped me think about life and death in a new way. The book is about a concert pianist with ALS, and his ex-wife who agrees to take care of him. I was initially attracted to the book because of the music, but the story itself quickly drew me in. The author is a neuroscientist, and she was able to present details of ALS in a way that was realistic but not maudlin. This book resonated with many different parts of my life - my marriage, caretaker role, relationships with family, music, career, and dreams. It’s also about marriage, family, and the easy patterns in life that can keep us from living our dreams. I was inspired when a character opened up her world with one small step. I don't know if I would have appreciated this book earlier in my life, but I'm so glad I found it when I did. I highly recommend this book, and I plan to read other books by this author, such as Still Alice. I give it 5 stars.

I wish I could do justice to this book, because it affected me more than any other book I read this year, and that's saying a lot. (This was a good year, full of great books.)

Ellen | 2085 comments I thought this book was really good. You will definitely enjoy "Still Alice" just as much.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Good review. This sounds like an amazing story. The ex-wife taking him in to care for him I am curious about.

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4980 comments Ellen wrote: "I thought this book was really good. You will definitely enjoy "Still Alice" just as much."

I saw the movie Still Alice, and one of the character's experiences hit very close to home for me. I've been meaning to read it for some time, but I keep putting it off. My grandmother lived with Alzheimer's for at least 10+ years, so I think it will feel more personal to me than Every Note Played.

message 5: by KateNZ (new) - added it

KateNZ | 2211 comments I own “Still Alice” but haven’t got to it yet, for similar reasons. This book does look amazing though, and the music focus is appealing (and the loss of music devastating).

message 6: by NancyJ (last edited Nov 30, 2018 01:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4980 comments Rachel wrote: "Good review. This sounds like an amazing story. The ex-wife taking him in to care for him I am curious about."

Yes, it seems unlikely, doesn't it? But I know of two people who nursed their exes. My dad's friend took care of his ex-wife who was dying of cancer. The other was a friend who took care of her sick ex, and to make it worse, he was also grieving the loss of a relationship with the woman he left her for! She said it was just something you do for a friend who has no one else. I never realized how compassionate she was until then.

message 7: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments My father has Alzheimer’s and my mother vascular dementia. I read Still Alice around the time that Dad was diagnosed. I found it to be very true to life, but also quite comforting and life affirming in parts. I’m glad to have read it at the time I did. Thanks for your review of this one. I’ve wanted to read another Genova but hadn’t gotten around to it.

message 8: by NancyJ (last edited Nov 30, 2018 02:52PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4980 comments Susie wrote: "My father has Alzheimer’s and my mother vascular dementia. I read Still Alice around the time that Dad was diagnosed. I found it to be very true to life, but also quite comforting and life affirmin..."

Thanks Susie, that's encouraging! I know it can be tough on the family, so I hope it goes well for you. After I suffered a concussion I got lost in an area I knew well, just like Alice did. Fortunately it hasn't happened since, but I often forget things. Now when I forget that I put a pot on the stove, my husband blames it on goodreads or a book. LOL. I lose track of time whenever I'm online. (Like how did it get to be dinnertime already?)

message 9: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Thanks Nancy. That must have been really scary for you to not know where you were. I’m glad that it was a once off. Goodreads is such a time zapper, isn’t it? I wouldn’t have it any other way though!

Joy D | 3198 comments I actually own this book. Based on your review, I need to bump it toward the top of what to read next.

message 11: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 485 comments I love Lisa Genova. I have only heard good things about her books. I loved Still Alice and I have been meaning to read more of her work.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5638 comments Another big fan of Genova here. I've enjoyed every one of the books by her that I've read. I have this one, though I haven't gotten to it yet. A close friend's sister died of ALS, so I know how devastating that can be.