Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Empire in Black and Gold (Shadows of the Apt, #1)
This topic is about Empire in Black and Gold
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Empire in Black and Gold [February 2019]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new) - added it

Angela | 3540 comments Mod
Buddy read starts 18th February.

Timelord Iain | 15692 comments I asked for it, so I'm in...

Olivia (vinjii) | 1071 comments I've been meaning to read these for years! IN!

Timelord Iain | 15692 comments Woo... the more, the merrier...

message 5: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1889 comments I'll be in if I can find my copy!

message 6: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2892 comments hm hm hmmmm......

Anny | 241 comments I've been wondering why I can't find the thread for the first book. Glad it's here now :)

Solseit | 1460 comments I might be joining for this read as well. I am concerned about the amount of books that are in the series - and how there is no audiobooks (tell me I just did not find them!) - but I will see how I will be doing in the next days!

message 9: by Timelord Iain (last edited Feb 06, 2019 07:48AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Timelord Iain | 15692 comments Solseit wrote: "I might be joining for this read as well. I am concerned about the amount of books that are in the series - and how there is no audiobooks (tell me I just did not find them!) - but I will see how I..."

The more, the merrier...

Re:Audio: Damn.... I just assumed there would be audio, since I had no problem finding Children of Time... and people have mentioned this series in the past... this is going to be a real problem for me... I'll try to read the first book, but probably won't have time for the rest...

There's a really obscure audiobook for the blind floating around, but the narrator isn't very good, and it isn't official (skirts some sort of copyright rule since it's aimed at the disabled, apparently)... I think they might be out of circulation, tho... I can only find reference to later books in the series being made...

Solseit | 1460 comments Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "Solseit wrote: "I might be joining for this read as well. I am concerned about the amount of books that are in the series - and how there is no audiobooks (tell me I just did not find them!) - but ..."

Thanks for the feedback! I think I will have to read it - I have one book at the month. I should be able to read enough pages a day.
The more I read about this book, the more I am excited about it.

I also loved Guns of the Dawn; so I am hoping to get a similar experience!
I am going to dip my toes today in it!

Olivia (vinjii) | 1071 comments Just starting now.

Solseit | 1460 comments I am starting right now as well! So hyped - and I hope I am not deceiving myself!

Solseit | 1460 comments I am through chapter 1 - yes, I realize it is not much but I just wanted to share how hyped this book actually is making me.
First and foremost, I love the concept of humans in this world; defined by insects (including their traits).
I love how we are just tossed into it. No warning, just get right in the middle of the events.
I am also enjoying how there is humor in the way the story is being narrated - I tend to enjoy snorting at some lines here and there.
So much fun, although this is still early in the story!

message 14: by Anny (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anny | 241 comments Starting today as well!

message 15: by Anny (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anny | 241 comments Ch 2 - It seems everybody is uh, evolved insects? Humanoid insects? Human with insects blood and characteristics? Do they get to use insect magic as well? So far we have beetle, spider, ant, mantis, dragonfly, even fly ... I'm just hoping a certain house pest won't make an appearance here, it would be too .. icky.

Timelord Iain | 15692 comments Anny wrote: "Ch 2 - It seems everybody is uh, evolved insects? Humanoid insects? Human with insects blood and characteristics? Do they get to use insect magic as well? So far we have beetle, spider, ant, mantis..."

That's definitely the premise of the series...

Timelord Iain | 15692 comments As much as I want to read this series (and requested it), I'm starting to worry about committing to it, knowing it's not available on audio... audio really gives me the push to finish a series, where ebooks don't anymore... and I'm already in the middle of way too many series, to be starting another I'm unsure I'll have time to finish any time soon...

I'm tempted to wait and hope Tchaikovsky's increasing popularity means this gets the audiobook treatment eventually... (Children of Time is nearly 50% of his ratings for all books combined)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1071 comments Chapter 1: "Why am I still flying at it?" I agree, the humour is spot on, And I like the introduction of all the characters, and despite being thrown into action, I did care for them almost immediately.

Tchaikovsky once said during an interview that what he did with this was to make the negative things about these people to be their human qualities, and everything that is good about them stems from their insect qualities. So, I'm curious to see about that.

message 19: by Shaitarn (last edited Feb 14, 2019 06:42AM) (new)

Shaitarn | 1889 comments Anny wrote: "Ch 2 - It seems everybody is uh, evolved insects? Humanoid insects? Human with insects blood and characteristics? Do they get to use insect magic as well? So far we have beetle, spider, ant, mantis..."

This means that when I read this I'm going to see them as the Sectaur figures I had as a kid.

Olivia (vinjii) | 1071 comments Anny wrote: "Ch 2 - It seems everybody is uh, evolved insects? Humanoid insects? Human with insects blood and characteristics? Do they get to use insect magic as well? So far we have beetle, spider, ant, mantis..."

Which housepest? Cockraoches? Fleas? I'm fairly freaked out by there being spiders already.

message 21: by Anny (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anny | 241 comments Olivia wrote: "Anny wrote: "Ch 2 - It seems everybody is uh, evolved insects? Humanoid insects? Human with insects blood and characteristics? Do they get to use insect magic as well? So far we have beetle, spider..."

Aww, but spiders can be cute too (cue Children of Time). Though I wonder about the spiders always being differentiated for their scheming and betrayals, are spiders really that devious (as insects)?

Yep, it's the cockroaches that I'm really not looking forward to see. But considering that they are almost an invincible kind of insects, strong, tough, durable, adaptable, it really won't be strange to see cockroaches everywhere even after all other animals went extinct. *shudder*

About the empire of the wasps though, I wonder why it's the wasps (and the moths) that are warring for empires. Why not the ants? Amazon fire ants sounds perfect for empire that razes everything in its path.

Timelord Iain | 15692 comments There are too many varieties of spiders to lump sum say cute... running a google search turns up Camel Spiders, which can be up to 6 inches long, supposedly move at 10mph, and a bunch of other crazy stuff... sound like a desert species... just googling scariest/weirdest bugs is a bad idea, in general... fair warning...

message 23: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1889 comments How insect-y are these characters? Because I really really hate creepy-crawlies of all kinds (spiders are the worst, but I don't like any of them really except moths/butterflies and bees) and am starting to think I'd be better off giving this series a wide swerve.

Solseit | 1460 comments From what I understand is that these are humans, fully functional humans but they have a trait of the insects.

For instance, wasps, will have wings. I will not add more.

I really dislike insects; I do not find them particularly appealing. I love the idea of taking a defined set of the animalia kingdom and apply certain skills and physical peculiarities.
Just so cool.

In the end, it's a personal call; read the first chapter and you can immediately tell!

Olivia (vinjii) | 1071 comments Children of Time made me root for spiders. So Tchaikovsky is a master in my eyes.

message 26: by Veronica (new) - added it

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3493 comments I might join in...depends on if one of my libraries has the series.

message 27: by Anny (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anny | 241 comments Solseit wrote: "From what I understand is that these are humans, fully functional humans but they have a trait of the insects.

I really dislike insect..."

Actually, I think you can imagine them as dwarf, human, elf, and fairy as they are mostly humanoid, I think.

Beetle-kinden are stout, bulky, rather slow, adept at machinery and invention. Well, that sounds just like dwarves to me.

Mantis, dragonfly, and spider are described as tall, handsome/beautiful, and intimidating. That's our elves right there.

Fly-kinden are small, flying race. Let's just imagine a cute fairy, acting as postman of sorts.

As for the wasps and the ants, well, they are more like winged humans I guess. I don't imagine them as giant insects standing on two legs at all, that would just ruin my appetite. Haha.

Solseit | 1460 comments Anny wrote: "Solseit wrote: "From what I understand is that these are humans, fully functional humans but they have a trait of the insects.

I reall..."

I did not think about adopting the more traditional fantasy races and apply them here but that certainly works!! Well thought!

I am through chapter 3 and I am actually enjoying it. The prose is a little convoluted, at least to me, but the story is actually building nicely!

(view spoiler)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1071 comments His prose improves so much in later books, this was his debut series and you can tell. There’s worlds between this and children of time but it’s exciting to watch him grow as an author

message 30: by Anny (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anny | 241 comments Solseit wrote: "Anny wrote: "Solseit wrote: "From what I understand is that these are humans, fully functional humans but they have a trait of the insects.

For instance, wasps, will have wings. I will not add mo..."

I also enjoyed Che's character very much. (view spoiler)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1071 comments I love the steampunk elements, and how there's some of them that are terrible at doing anything tech-related, while at the same time they kick ass with magic.

I wonder if that's what would have happened in our world if magic would have been a thing...that tech would have overtaken it, and people would have looked down at the ones still using magic, when you could use a machine.

Where's everyone at?

Solseit | 1460 comments I am through chapter 10 - I am taking my time reading this book.

Quite frankly, I cannot believe this is not an ever more successful series - or maybe I did not pay enough attention.
The story is entertaining, the elements he combines are just so cool, the underlining idea is just outside the box (and great). How is this not a main fantasy read? Or maybe it is and I know nothing about the acclaimed success of the series!

Timelord Iain | 15692 comments @Solseit: I think people are scared away by the bug talk in the blurb/titles...

@Olivia: that's half of what excites me about the progression of Mistborn trilogies... getting to watch technology overtake and incorporate magic into the design...

Solseit | 1460 comments Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "@Olivia: that's half of what excites me about the progression of Mistborn trilogies... getting to watch technology o..."

This makes me excited about Mistborn - the first trilogy is something I wanted to start with the FBR group starting in May! I guess I am a geek like that...

Timelord Iain | 15692 comments Solseit wrote: "Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "@Olivia: that's half of what excites me about the progression of Mistborn trilogies... getting to watch technology o..."

This makes me excited about Mistborn - the f..."

The first trilogy is traditional fantasy... 2nd trilogy/cycle is 300 years later, and weird western / steampunk with some airship tech... 3rd trilogy is to be 1970s-era UF with computers and stuff... last cycle is to be sci-fi with spaceships and stuff... the wait is excruciating...

Olivia (vinjii) | 1071 comments I’m on chapter 8. Loving it just as much. Though I feel like this will be a very small buddy read. Sad, because Tchaikovsky is a master.

message 37: by Anny (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anny | 241 comments I'm finished already. Haha. I was rushing it because I have two more BR this month. I practically read the second half in one day.

I also wonder why this series is not more popular. I love the characters, the story, the suspense. Even the antagonists was well-written to me. Really enjoyable read, I'm glad I bought the second book already :)

Solseit | 1460 comments Anny wrote: "I'm finished already. Haha. I was rushing it because I have two more BR this month. I practically read the second half in one day.

I also wonder why this series is not more popular. I love the ch..."

Well done Anny! I am still in the midst of it and I am just loving it.

I am through chapter 15 and I had a very gushy moment when a particular character made his/her appearance (view spoiler). I had a fan girl moment.

This book has really so many good things. And, while I have not seen much of the antagonists just yet, what I have see is just incredibly good.
I am glad I am taking my time with this; I am just gushing pretty much at every single page!

message 39: by Anny (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anny | 241 comments Solseit wrote: "Anny wrote: "I'm finished already. Haha. I was rushing it because I have two more BR this month. I practically read the second half in one day.

I also wonder why this series is not more popular. ..."

I myself am more of a Tynisa fan-girl. Deadly, cunning, manipulative, and cold-blooded. This gal is the femme-fatale poster girl! I totally adore her, even her inability to deal with anything machine somehow become a cute quirk for me. But seriously, (view spoiler)

Solseit | 1460 comments Anny wrote: "Solseit wrote: "Anny wrote: "I'm finished already. Haha. I was rushing it because I have two more BR this month. I practically read the second half in one day.

I also wonder why this series is no..."

I actually find Tynisa was absolutely fun. Despite being a femme-fatal - a type of character I do not really connect to - I actually have fun reading her story line!

Timelord Iain | 15692 comments You guys make me wanna read these, even if I have to read my Kindle to do it... I just dunno when I'll have the time... not in the next month or so, at least...

Olivia (vinjii) | 1071 comments Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "You guys make me wanna read these, even if I have to read my Kindle to do it... I just dunno when I'll have the time... not in the next month or so, at least..."

Come on, stay with us.

I'm on chapter 10. Hope to crack on this weekend :)

Solseit | 1460 comments Indeed! I was also extremely concerned with my ability to actually read the book so I opted for starting early and read 22 pages a day - which is more often than not, one chapter a day.

I find myself reading also when I go to the ladies'. This is how compelling the book is for me. But I confess an addiction to books (and this one in particular!)!

message 44: by Anny (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anny | 241 comments Solseit wrote: "Indeed! I was also extremely concerned with my ability to actually read the book so I opted for starting early and read 22 pages a day - which is more often than not, one chapter a day.

I find my..."

Then you might find yourself needing to go to the ladies' quite often for the next few weeks ;-)

Solseit | 1460 comments Haha, indeed!
I am hoping to get quite some reading time during the weekend!
I am through chapter 18! It is getting even more complicated - more interesting really!

Timelord Iain | 15692 comments Solseit wrote: "Haha, indeed!
I am hoping to get quite some reading time during the weekend!
I am through chapter 18! It is getting even more complicated - more interesting really!"

If anyone gets suspicious, just imply something embarassing until they feel too awkward and walk away... :)

Solseit | 1460 comments I am through chapter 21 and I cannot stop reading. My careful plan of reading 20 pages or so a day has been long forgotten.

(view spoiler)

message 48: by Anny (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anny | 241 comments eh, what? Che (view spoiler)

Solseit | 1460 comments Anny wrote: "eh, what? Che [spoilers removed]"

She tries to be one for the first half of the book - and she the acknowledges that it's not really her style!

message 50: by Anny (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anny | 241 comments Solseit wrote: "Anny wrote: "eh, what? Che [spoilers removed]"

She tries to be one for the first half of the book - and she the acknowledges that it's not really her style!"

I agree it's really not her style. (view spoiler)

« previous 1