Support for Indie Authors discussion

Marketing Tactics > KDP Rocket

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Miller (jazzzdiva) | 5 comments I am considering buying KDP Rocket, but I am not sure. I write nonfiction for which I think the keywords are pretty obvious, but I don't many keywords on my AMS ads. I plan to write more fiction in the future. Any opinions on Rocket? Is it worth it. Most people I have asked seem to think it is..

message 2: by Daniella (new)

Daniella Dechristopher | 1 comments I purchased it, but am not sure how to use it. If anyone can review it with me, I would sincerely appreciate it.
Daniella DeChristopher

message 3: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Miller (jazzzdiva) | 5 comments I just purchased it too. I haven't gotten around to trying it, so I am not sure how to use it either. I know there are tutorials on the site. We shall see!

message 4: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Question: does this require you to give the software access to your kdp dashboard? If so, steer clear. Your Amazon account has your bank account details, credit card info, home address, social security number/tax ID. Not something I'd want a random stranger knowing.

If it doesn't, well, keep in mind you're paying someone who has gotten rich off desperate authors to somehow make your book stand out amongst the millions out there. They claim to have some advantage over everyone else and for them, yes, they do. The advantage of having convinced tons of authors to part with their money when advice is freely given elsewhere.

If you want keyword help, a quick Google search will tell you the easiest way to figure out what people are looking for. But again, keep in mind that just because you used the keywords to get views, it's still the product itself that has to appeal to the buyer.

message 5: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 779 comments It is not connected to your kdp account at all, totally separate. Its a way for you to see what keywords work for you and also what words work for AMS. I use it and I have a hard time finding keywords I can use even using Rocket. The best bet it to take the genre your in followed by a sub genre or simple keyword that defines your book and run it through Amazon search. Then after your words type in a,b,c and all the way to z. whatever comes up that fits your book run it through Rocket. To make it easier you can also find it by the way your letters are arranged on your keyboard.

I can't tell you that I've seen results from it but it is good to see what words work and what words don't and you usually get words that don't work do you know not to put them in your keywords section on KDP.

message 6: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) So it's not even doing what you can do for yourself, but actually having you do the legwork as well.

Honestly, the best way to tailor your keywords is listed on Amazon itself. There are keyword-specific subgenres for nearly every main category, which gets your books listed in more places, which makes it more likely to be seen than hoping your book shows up when someone searches for a popular keyword (which it may, but unless you're already selling loads, it won't be on the first page since you already know the bestsellers are also taking advantage of popular keywords).

message 7: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Miller (jazzzdiva) | 5 comments I honestly didn't see the point, but I saw a lot of good reviews, including Joanna Penn - although who knows who was paid for an endorsement. I believe there is a 30-day money back guarantee, so if I don't find it useful I will get my money back. I got it because it is a one-time price and it might be more helpful when I write fiction . Right now I write nonfiction and the keywords are obvious, as are the categories.

message 8: by B.A. (new)

B.A. A. Mealer | 824 comments I use KDP Rocket. As other's have said, it isn't connected to your dashboard. You put in a word or phrase and the program will pull up all the related words used in searches. Many seem to be way off base, but you can use up to a 1000 keywords in ads.

It's a useful tool. You can down load the lists and add them to your keywords. It makes it so you don't have to go through those suggested by Amazon. For me, it's easier and faster to find those words than going to Amazon and hunting them out.

message 9: by Jessica (new)

Jessica O'Toole (jayotee) | 100 comments I bought it about a week ago. I'm still working my way round it and tailoring my books, but one of the most useful things is the competition algorithm. It will tell you how many books you'd need to sell to become a #20 and #1 seller in specific categories.

I write fantasy and sci-fi (at the moment!), so the categories only get so niche, but if you have a very specific book, it will tell you the most niche categories, how many books to become the bestseller, and what keywords can be used in both your Dashboard and in your blurb. It will also tell you how many Google searches there are for specific keywords. Those things alone are pretty much gold dust.

The videos I've found pretty useful too, but it's not software that will do all your work for you. You still need to actively work to dig into Amazon's algorithms and categorising, but if you're up for a bit of learning curve, I think lifetime access (as things change) is not a bad thing for about (for a Brit) £80.

And I confirm as above, it's not connected to any of your Amazon account info. You just load it up and search. Its well worth having a look into the videos on Kindlepreneur, because there's a deeper amount of detail into many of the KDP rocket bits, plus a lot more about Amazon in general.

We'll see. I'm all for pioneering.

message 10: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Miller (jazzzdiva) | 5 comments Thanks for the info!

message 11: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 779 comments Many experts live by it. Its easy to use but a bit difficult to understand. I stick with it because it's an easy way to get an idea of keywords.

message 12: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Iciek | 120 comments I recently signed up for it. It isn't magic but it has been a great education for me. The tutorial videos were the first time I really understood about the whole "keyword" element to marketing. I am getting a bit obsessive about adding new ones to my list, and I have to say that my sales have really improved.