Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Star Nomad (Fallen Empire, #1)
This topic is about Star Nomad
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Star Nomad [Mar 18, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3555 comments Mod
Buddy read starts 18th March.

Timelord Iain | 16625 comments Woo woo! You guys think planning books for 2020 is crazy... HOW ABOUT 20169?!?

:D

Small typo there, Angela...

message 3: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
Timelord Iain wrote: "Woo woo! You guys think planning books for 2020 is crazy... HOW ABOUT 20169?!?

Small typo there, Angela..."

Hahaha fixed.

Tammie | 4109 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Woo woo! You guys think planning books for 2020 is crazy... HOW ABOUT 20169?!?

Small typo there, Angela..."

Haha yeah saw that.

Elinor | 1548 comments i'm in !

Tammie | 4109 comments I'll probably start this tonight.

Timelord Iain | 16625 comments Woo... I've been binging easy reads all week, waiting for you guys to start... and I'm tempted to jump the gun on Wild Country by Anne Bishop...

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1338 comments I just got this on kindle for free but I’m reading The Dragon Republic so don’t think I can read this with y’all which sucks. I was supposed to be done by the morning but haven’t had time to read!!

Y’all have fun and I will see if I can read too 😊

message 9: by Tammie (last edited Mar 19, 2019 03:31AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tammie | 4109 comments So far this is really good! The opening chapter drew me in immediately. (view spoiler)

Chapter 4 (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 16625 comments Tammie wrote: "So far this is really good! The opening chapter drew me in immediately. [spoilers removed]

Chapter 4 [spoilers removed]"

The similarites to Firefly are strong with this one... but I agree the book is very enjoyable... just don't have much to say about it, so far...

I think I'm past the halfway mark, but it's hard to tell, since I have the Omnibus of the first 3 books, and it just lists 64 chapters...

message 11: by Tammie (last edited Mar 19, 2019 08:04AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tammie | 4109 comments Yes I agree it does resemble Firefly. I feel like there was a definite nod to it in chapter 5. (view spoiler)

Elinor | 1548 comments I could not started it yesterday, but I'm still in :)

message 13: by Timelord Iain (last edited Mar 19, 2019 10:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Timelord Iain | 16625 comments So I finished... kinda surprised where it left off... the book reads a bit episodically... drawing comparisons to Firefly again, I guess...

Also draws parallels to Stars Uncharted, in that regard... where events in the first book help to turn a ragtag group of crewmen into a team...

Let me know if you have any interest in accelerating the BR schedule to 2 books per month, at all...

Tammie | 4109 comments I'm almost done. I wouldn't mind doing two books a month.

Elinor | 1548 comments Chapter 2 (first sentence really) : (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 16625 comments early on, I expected it to be an AI pretending to be a cyborg, or something...

Little bit of Murderbot Diaries nostalgia...

Elinor | 1548 comments I was kind of confused. I do prefer AI over cyborg. But, oh well.

Elinor | 1548 comments "Suck my asteroids" XD

Tammie | 4109 comments Elinor Master of Gifs wrote: ""Suck my asteroids" XD"

😂

Timelord Iain | 16625 comments I figure we can re-schedule the books for the 4th and 18th of each month...

Tammie | 4109 comments Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "I figure we can re-schedule the books for the 4th and 18th of each month..."

That works for me.

message 22: by Tammie (last edited Mar 21, 2019 07:12PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tammie | 4109 comments Finished. (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 16625 comments For some reason I thought you'd finished already... I agree on all points... I just expected the crew to reach Alisa's goal by the end of the book instead of Leonidas'

Tammie | 4109 comments Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "For some reason I thought you'd finished already... I agree on all points... I just expected the crew to reach Alisa's goal by the end of the book instead of Leonidas'"

I had just a little left to finish tonight. I also thought they would reach Alisa's goal.

Tammie | 4109 comments I just downloaded the free omnibus of the first three novels. I already had gotten book one for free a couple of years ago, but I'm glad I don't have to spend money on the next two either.

Elinor | 1548 comments Are we going to read the 0.5 that is in the omnibus of the first 3 ? (I did exactly like you Tammie, downloaded the first one years ago for free and the omnibus a few months back ;p)

Tammie | 4109 comments Elinor Master of Gifs wrote: "Are we going to read the 0.5 that is in the omnibus of the first 3 ? (I did exactly like you Tammie, downloaded the first one years ago for free and the omnibus a few months back ;p)"

After reading the author's afterward I might wait to read 0.5. She says it has some spoilers in it about Leonidas that are revealed more slowly in the series.

Timelord Iain | 16625 comments Looks like the prequel published 2 days after book 4, so we should probably wait until around then to read

Elinor | 1548 comments Okay !

Choko (chokog) | 6797 comments Ooooppppsss! I just decided to read this series and started with the prequel... I hope I didn't spoiler it for myself...

Is it OK if I read with you guys??? I have been craving sci-fi as of late...

Tammie | 4109 comments Choko wrote: "Ooooppppsss! I just decided to read this series and started with the prequel... I hope I didn't spoiler it for myself...

Is it OK if I read with you guys??? I have been craving sci-fi as of late..."

Of course Choko! We would love to have you join us.

Timelord Iain | 16625 comments More the merrier... sounds like you might have spoiled some things... we read Star Nomad a bit ago, and will be reading Honor's Flight soon, so you probably won't be spoiled for too long...

Choko (chokog) | 6797 comments Cool! Thank you so much, guys!!!

Elinor | 1548 comments I'm only halfway through Star Nomad, I'm not loving it... but not not really enjoying either ? The sure thing is that I won't be able to do 2 books a month, but go ahead anyway ^^

Choko (chokog) | 6797 comments I am up to Ch 6... I really like the two ladies, and I am getting a ton of sexy vibes from the cyborg! I know, I am sick, but this stoic, strong, smart, take charge dude, but not afraid to take orders from a woman, really works for me 😎!

Tammie | 4109 comments Choko wrote: "I am up to Ch 6... I really like the two ladies, and I am getting a ton of sexy vibes from the cyborg! I know, I am sick, but this stoic, strong, smart, take charge dude, but not afraid to take ord..."

I must be sick too!

Tammie | 4109 comments Elinor Master of Gifs wrote: "I'm only halfway through Star Nomad, I'm not loving it... but not not really enjoying either ? The sure thing is that I won't be able to do 2 books a month, but go ahead anyway ^^"

Oh no Elinor! I'd hate to leave you behind.

Choko (chokog) | 6797 comments So, the empty space station with human bones and blood stains, that is just creepy as hell!

Tammie | 4109 comments Choko wrote: "So, the empty space station with human bones and blood stains, that is just creepy as hell!"

Yes it was.

Choko (chokog) | 6797 comments Wow! That was a fast read! I enjoyed it quite a lot 😊! It was a bit of an abrupt end, since they only dealth with the evil dudes, but little else got resolved, so I am looking forward to the rest of the series. And yes, I am totally in love with the cyborg!!!😎

Timelord Iain | 16625 comments I just coasted over the creepiness... again, it reminded me of the mystery of Murderbot Diaries:

All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries, #1) by Martha Wells Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries, #2) by Martha Wells Rogue Protocol (The Murderbot Diaries, #3) by Martha Wells Exit Strategy (The Murderbot Diaries, #4) by Martha Wells

In typing this, I found out that next year's full-length novel has a name: Network Effect

Tammie | 4109 comments I need to read the Murderbot series.

Timelord Iain | 16625 comments Tammie wrote: "I need to read the Murderbot series."

Doesn't take too long... they're 4 novellas that add up to a decently long book altogether...

Choko (chokog) | 6797 comments I need to read them too... I have been behind on so many things I want to read, but there just isn't enough time in the day for everything...😊

Choko (chokog) | 6797 comments We should read them after this series 😊

Timelord Iain | 16625 comments I've finally been making time to read what I want to read, when I want to read... I'm not even feeling the points loss much...

I read Murderbot Diaries in a BR last year and loved it... I might re-read, if you guys binge it all in a short time... we were reading them as they released last year so had to wait 3 months between books...

Tammie | 4109 comments Choko wrote: "We should read them after this series 😊"

I would be up for that.

message 48: by Timelord Iain (last edited Mar 28, 2019 08:54AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Timelord Iain | 16625 comments Should probably request a BR for the series in July/August then... this series ends July 4th...

I also hear that Buroker's steampunk series is similar to this series:

The Emperor's Edge (The Emperor's Edge, #1) by Lindsay Buroker Dark Currents (The Emperor's Edge, #2) by Lindsay Buroker Deadly Games (The Emperor's Edge, #3) by Lindsay Buroker Conspiracy (The Emperor's Edge, #4) by Lindsay Buroker Blood and Betrayal (The Emperor's Edge, #5) by Lindsay Buroker Forged in Blood I (The Emperor's Edge, #6) by Lindsay Buroker Forged in Blood II (The Emperor's Edge, #7) by Lindsay Buroker Republic (The Emperor's Edge, #8) by Lindsay Buroker Diplomats and Fugitives (The Emperor's Edge, #9) by Lindsay Buroker

Only the first 5 books are available on audio, tho...

Tammie | 4109 comments Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "Should probably request a BR for the series in July/August then... this series ends July 4th...

I also hear that Buroker's steampunk series is similar to this series:

[bookcover:The Emperor's Edg..."

Oh, I had no idea she had a steampunk series. I would like to try it as well.

Tammie | 4109 comments I just picked up the first book for free on Amazon. I also saw that she has a Dragon Blood series. I picked the omnibus of books 1-3 up for free as well.

« previous 1