Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Godsgrave [August 2019]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3540 comments Mod
Buddy read starts 10th August.

message 2: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments In!

message 3: by Kathrine (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments So I started this some days ago and it hasn't really captured me like the first book...

Some thoughts:

Book 1 (chapter 1–12): (view spoiler)

message 4: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Kathrine wrote: "So I started this some days ago and it hasn't really captured me like the first book...

Some thoughts:

Book 1 (chapter 1–12): An interesting start but a little confusing with all the jumping bac..."

Ah, that's sad... I started today and haven't even finished the first chapter, but I just loved the recaption! :)

message 5: by K L (new)

K L  | 342 comments I started as well. I was very grateful for the recap as I read first book about eighteen months ago! I don't quite feel into it yet but I am only a couple of chapters in, so hopefully we will get there.

message 6: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments I am a couple of days late - I should be starting tomorrow at the latest!

message 7: by Kathrine (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments I love when there's a recap in a book – even though I read the first book quite recently, it was nice to get a reminder of who all the characters were and their relations.

I finished Book 2 (chapters 13–24) yesterday and by now I'm pretty invested! (view spoiler)

message 8: by K L (new)

K L  | 342 comments 3 days later and I am only on page 120. For some reason I am finding it pretty hard going. I hate reading the cursive script part. My old eyes don't like it for some reason and there's a lot of it! I can see it fine, but for some bizarre reason I am finding it hard to focus on it. Weird!

message 9: by Kathrine (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Finished the entire book. 3.5 stars rounded up to 4. (view spoiler)

message 10: by Kathrine (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Lola wrote: "3 days later and I am only on page 120. For some reason I am finding it pretty hard going. I hate reading the cursive script part. My old eyes don't like it for some reason and there's a lot of it!..."

I felt the same about it! It was somehow more tiring to read, although I found it a bit more interesting story-wise than the other parts of the book.

message 11: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Lola wrote: "3 days later and I am only on page 120. For some reason I am finding it pretty hard going. I hate reading the cursive script part. My old eyes don't like it for some reason and there's a lot of it!..."

I agree, it's not exactly hard to read, but somehow makes my eyes tired...

I just finished the the first part and I like it, but ao far didn't love it as much as the first book, but there're still a lit of pages left :)

I'm still not 100% sure that (view spoiler)

Also what do you think, who our Narator is? It might be Aelius, he's a chronicler after all... But I still suspect Mister Kindly

message 12: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments I am working through chapter 20. I am enjoying it provided that all that matters to me is the story.

First and foremost, I am genuinely neutral to Mia. I am not sure if I am supposed to like her (she is the main character) and I do not feel any empathy for her or her story. She really does not come to life and I cannot care whether she survives or not. (view spoiler)

It bugs me so much the use of Italian heritage. In the first book it was all about the Republic of Venice or northern Italy in the 17th century. Now we are in the Roman Empire. This just does not work for me. If you want to take someone else's heritage, at least do it right.
Although my theory here is that the author wrote the first book not knowing if it would get a three book deal. And once it became a trilogy he needed to change something.

I found the sex scene(s) to be completely useless. And I am tired of the metaphors! This book completely abuses them.

I hated how quickly (view spoiler) I was extremely disappointed.

I am liking the gladiators though - I always liked them - but then how can you replicate Spartacus (historical character)? It is very unlikely to make a good book about gladiators. Although I loved the movie The Gladiator. (view spoiler).

Yet the story is fascinating. I am enjoying it very much. I am still not convinced the characters are very original (view spoiler). I keep reading mostly because I am genuinely liking the plot and it's flowing. I am also still intrigued by the darkin, what they are, how they work, etc.

I might come across as fairly negative; yet, this is the best YA book I have read, plot and world building (besides the personal issue on the distorted use of Italian heritage) are really good.

message 13: by K L (new)

K L  | 342 comments Solseit wrote: "I am working through chapter 20. I am enjoying it provided that all that matters to me is the story.

First and foremost, I am genuinely neutral to Mia. I am not sure if I am supposed to like her ..."

I agree with much of this. I am enjoying it, but I am just not loving it. And like you, I am a bit 'meh' about Mia herself, but I am liking the plot. I have just started chapter 19.

message 14: by Anni (last edited Aug 15, 2019 12:34PM) (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Solseit wrote: "I might come across as fairly negative; yet, this is the best YA book I have read, plot and world building (besides the personal issue on the distorted use of Italian heritage) are really good. "

But doesn't the author say, that Nevernight isn't YA?

I can't say much about the history, especially because for me the world's building is just fantasy, I see the Italian history only as an inspiration and not as an accurate picture. But I do see why it might bother you!

I just finished Chapter 22 and I'm wondering if Furian (view spoiler)

message 15: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Solseit wrote: "I might come across as fairly negative; yet, this is the best YA book I have read, plot and world building (besides the personal issue on the distorted use of Italian heritage) are ..."

He says this is not YA? Well then it's not very very high in my high fantasy series.
To me this is 100% YA, not because of the character's age but mostly because typical YA characters are overpowered and they are the center of the world (when they are just one). I also think the story is simple (compared to high fantasy stories) and focuses only on one character's story (not that this is a meaningful way to determine whether a book is YA). Also, the decisions made by Mia are based on a 18 year old character (she is quite immature) not that is a key aspect of a YA.
Also, sex scenes are just so YA - the most extended sex scenes I have read in fantasy are in YA.
Now, I am not saying that I am a judge as to when a book is YA or not, but these are strong indicators for me that a book is YA.

message 16: by K L (new)

K L  | 342 comments I agree that it definitely has a leaning towards YA. It does not read away quite as easily as most YA does in my opinion.
I do feel the way sex is 'sexualised' is more adult than YA, but it's a fine line.
You can definitely tell it's written by a man, though 😂🤣

message 17: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15692 comments Finally started... this is considered YA?...

I'm a sucker for Gladiator / Fight Club storylines, but the 2 timelines every other chapter is kinda annoying...

message 18: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments I finished the book - I really had a lot of issue with this book. I still liked the plot itself and I am curios to see how the trilogy ends but I really did not connect at all with the characters.

Even the final fight is rushed for me and it is not even original (yes, Romans did it as well in Navona plaza).

Only 3 stars really - and I rarely go below 4...

message 19: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15692 comments Does the term New Adult work?... I see it mostly described as YA books about college age people or 20-somethings, but I could also see it used as a catchall for books with a mix of YA and adult fiction elements...

message 20: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15692 comments Pretty far in now... on chapter 21... I'm glad the flashbacks ended... I think the story could have just as easily done all the flashbacking from chapter 2-7, instead of flipping back and forth every other chapter...

Darkin: (view spoiler)

message 21: by K L (new)

K L  | 342 comments Solseit wrote: "I finished the book - I really had a lot of issue with this book. I still liked the plot itself and I am curios to see how the trilogy ends but I really did not connect at all with the characters. ..."

I am just over 3/4 in at the moment and I pretty much feel exactly the way you do. I am not quite sure how I will rate this yet, but I am pretty sure I do want to finish the series.

message 22: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15692 comments Chapter 27: Deception: (view spoiler)

message 23: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15692 comments Solseit wrote: "I am working through chapter 20. I am enjoying it provided that all that matters to me is the story.

First and foremost, I am genuinely neutral to Mia. I am not sure if I am supposed to like her ..."

I definitely agree about the sex scenes and inconsistencies...

message 24: by K L (new)

K L  | 342 comments Ok, I pushed through and finished it. I ended up giving it a 3-star Goodreads rating, despite a strong finish. I just did not care enough throughout.
I will read Darkdawn though and I am keeping my fingers crossed that Jay Kristoff will find the sense of humour that he seemed to have forgotten in this book that I loved about the first...

message 25: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments I finished as well :) I didn't liked it as much as the first one, but still gave it 4 Stars. There were things bothering me, especially (view spoiler)

But all in all I really liked it and I'm looking forward to book 3. I'm glad I waited to read book 2, so that I can jump right into book 3 in a few weeks :)

message 26: by Timelord Iain (last edited Aug 18, 2019 11:51AM) (new)

Timelord Iain | 15692 comments Sir Anni wrote: "I finished as well :) ..."

Agreed... I meant to mention the sudden allegiance shifts before... and am glad we waited to read this until July/August/September... seemed perfect when we were scheduling this last year...

message 27: by Anni (last edited Aug 18, 2019 11:16AM) (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Sir Anni wrote: "I finished as well :) I didn't liked it as much as the first one, but still gave it 4 Stars..."

I don’t think there's anyone here who isn't past that point, but you revealed a spoiler there quoting my text... Goodreads is acting up again 😅

message 28: by Angela Jr. (new)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments I'm still at the beginning, middle of chapter 6. So far, I'm not really into it, which is why i don't want to pick it up... The footnotes are also annoying, even though they're interesting. Might switch to audio if i can't gey myself to pick it up in the next few fays

message 29: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4197 comments For ANDY

Gotta love Kristoff's book dedications and his snark and his tongue in cheek-ness and his Hail Lassie Well Met roguery but does this bloke start every book by (view spoiler)
Btw I liked the Dramatis Personae. Even tho I'd just finished NN, it was still such fun to read. Mark Lawrence couldn't do recaps better....

I dunno why but it took me CH 3 (view spoiler)

Ch 4 Ever wonder whether Abercrombie and Kristoff may've gone drinking together and the conversation got a bit ribald among the guys? I'm only asking bcuz (view spoiler)

Yeap Mia's fifteen...with alllll that 15 y/o old's swagger and lip...😁 but it may run her into some trouble...and (view spoiler)

message 30: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4197 comments Finished Part 1.

Ok so the story...it's moving...what to say? I didn't fully expect the switchback with the (view spoiler) but I knew Mia's illusions will have to drop soon + that Jessamine (view spoiler)

Also Tric had better be alive ok? And he better come soon.

Is it kinda judgemental that the thing I so far loved the most about this book is the fourth footnote at the end of Ch 4 with the tale of Flavius and Dalia? Shakespearean almost in the grand cluster of the fuckery...😜😂

I feel for Mia at Crow's Nest. Seeing 'home' when 'home' is no longer yours and belongs to strangers who do with it as they will and you are helpless and remember how the spaces used to be when you lived there...gotta be a particular kind of painful...poor kid...the orphams always do this to me!!

Alsooo I give thee one of my ridiculous farout always wrong book predictions...
A RIDICULOUS SERIES PREDICTION
(view spoiler)

Kathrine wrote: (view spoiler)

Yeah. Me too...
Tho...Little Moggy...😂😂😂😂😂😂

message 31: by idiffer (new)

idiffer | 765 comments Aaaand this is the time when I have nothing to say( Well, I could comment on one thing, but that would be a spoiler, so no.

message 32: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4197 comments idiffer wrote: "Well, I could comment on one thing, but that would be a spoiler, so no."

O this were broootal and 😈😈😈...you know how impatiemt I am and now you jezzt...twisting the knife...😂😂😂

message 33: by Zaara (last edited Oct 13, 2019 11:57AM) (new)

Zaara | 4197 comments Ok I logged in mainly cuz *squinty face* here's I found an awkweird boo boo + sad cliché ghastrope both in one scene:

CH 15
(view spoiler)

message 34: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments I'm reading and really enjoying your comments as well Zaara :)

Do you plan to jump right into Darkdawn after you finished Godsgrave? If so I would wait for you :)
I waited forever for the book to arrive and haven't made much progress yet, so I can as well join my favourite partner in crime a ballgown 😂

message 35: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4197 comments Sir Anni wrote: "I'm reading and really enjoying your comments as well Zaara :)
Do you plan to jump right into Darkdawn after you finished Godsgrave? If so I would wait for you :)"

Hi!
O yea I'm binging the series...so if you can wait, mi dona... please do.
To be fair, we have idAndy to thank..who knows when I'd have started this series otherwise...😂😂😂

message 36: by idiffer (new)

idiffer | 765 comments Hm, I feel stupid for not noticing such plot conveniences as the ones mentioned by you, Zaara, but it is also a blessing in disguise I guess.

BTW, how are you finding all the purple prose? Alot of ppl just HATED it for being over the top, but I dunno, it feels fine to me. Sure, some phrases make no sense, but I just gloss over it and go onto the next line, with no negative emotions.

message 37: by idiffer (new)

idiffer | 765 comments PS. idandy... I guess this was bound to happen?

message 38: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4197 comments idiffer wrote: "Hm, I feel stupid for not noticing such plot conveniences as the ones mentioned by you, Zaara, but it is also a blessing in disguise I guess."

Nah, no need for such compares...there's a saying, no? That no two people read the same book (even when they are)...
Altho' sometimes you do have similar feels about a book, just happened yesterday on the YA Books thread that Anni and I had the exact same reaction to something on Sorcery of Thorns...gotta love when that happens...its like a smile and a wave from across the ways!! Seems to me the whole point of platforms like GR is so you can find ppl who love the same books you do, for similar reasons and in similar ways.

Re this particular spoiler tho....Andy...it's more a guy thing, I think. See (for me) the conversation struck an off note AS A talk between two women...females, when they have an affinity between them, would just KNOW stuff like this. Women will never need to ask a close gal pal..."hey do you love this dude?"

But then...I (personally) have a problem with most emo dialogues as written in books...even if it is with a man. Especially if it's with a man. You don't need an avalanche of interactions to reach/touch/communicate with a man, I don't think. There either IS a wordless energy exchange or there isn't. And you either have this wavelength with a guy or you don't. If you don't, you never will. And if you do, it is inimitable...nothing much can stop it once it gets going...and unless you both consciously decide to turn the tap off, it is always happening...like breathing or photosynthesis.

So I think Kristoff did much better with the scenes of wordless want building between Mia and Tric in the first book. I xpecially liked that they were able to work around it (initially) and still be friends...that seemed such a tempered, mature response (what a thing to think about our Mia 😂😂😂) just before her immediate collapse BK 1 (view spoiler) Still, their sex scenes were sweet...Tric was so sweet in bed...

This Mia...I dunno...she seems kinda immature in her sexy, Andy??? Mind, she is only 16...but after many months of sexuality lessons from (mmmmmh yowza!) Aalea, I kinda expected more than purely mechanical (i.e. knowing the technicality/using the buzzwords of) sexiness...I (stupid!) expected potency Andy...an energetic awakening...the kind I was describing earlier. But Mia seems easily sexually manipulated/driven to sex as a release response from tension/fear + also kinda submissive in bed...tho I think that part of it were more Jay Kristoff's personal fantasies manifesting onto the page...😜😝😂
What do you think?

Now Aalea and Cassius...🔥🔥🔥...fuuuuuckdammn man why can't I rid myself of thoughts of these two? This pairing...if it happened, will be like fire and water, like earth and sky coming together, I think. I WISH and WANT and SHIP and HOPE for them to happen...tho by now we all knew hope is futile, with
(view spoiler)

message 39: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4197 comments You know that was a typo, man...unless...you actually want me to say you're dandy?
😉 *kick*

message 40: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4197 comments End of Part 2

Wow *whistles* that 24 (view spoiler)
One word for such levels of self-absorption: obscene

I'm happy the story is (view spoiler)

message 41: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4197 comments Mia in Bk 2
(view spoiler)

I'll be done with this and ready to start DD the next time I'm logged in, @Anni.

message 42: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Zaara wrote: "I'll be done with this and ready to start DD the next time I'm logged in, @Anni."

Would you mind wainting till November? I don't think I'll be able to finish it this month and so I would rather read something I can finish to count the points 😅

message 43: by idiffer (new)

idiffer | 765 comments @Z
(view spoiler)

message 44: by idiffer (new)

idiffer | 765 comments PS.
A lot of romances use banter to show chemistry, but I see it as a very cheap device. Humour is considered the lowest genre for a reason...

message 45: by Zaara (last edited Oct 21, 2019 05:23AM) (new)

Zaara | 4197 comments Done.

26/Log
(view spoiler)

27/Log
(view spoiler)

29/Log
(view spoiler)

Ending
(view spoiler)

message 46: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4197 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Would you mind wainting till November? I don't think I'll be able to finish it this month and so I w..."

Of course...happy to wait...esp when it was YOU that first paused for me...but...let's start soooon in November bcuz (you know how) I am impatient with the ending reveals, esp since I just finished and the urge didn't have time to fade.
All the best 💪💪💪 for the final ten days, you! Put fwd your best number.

Re Posts #25 and 26...o amazing Anni...soemhow I knew you'd feel the same about this...❤️

@idiffer hope you don't mind since you already finished longago but I'd like to wait for Ghost

message 47: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4197 comments Solseit wrote: "I am working through chapter 20. I am enjoying it provided that all that matters to me is the story.
First and foremost, I am genuinely neutral to Mia. I am not sure if I am supposed..."

Hhi @Solesit you remind me of someone on Tome Raiders last year that I had a couple conversations with...dunno why I have this feeling...your profile picture twangs Riyria Revelations in my head...I swear...😂 did we read Riyria together, perhaps?? Excuse me for asking, I mean no disrespect and usually remember names...have we talked before? I have been here almost three years now. Soon it will be the third year of the tourney...

Mainly @Solesit, I really enjoyed your comments in Post 12. As you will read from my above extremely brief and terse discussiom with @idiffer 😂😂😂 I had issues with the MC and the sex track too. But what I loved most was the point/theory you made in your second graf where you said the author didnt know if he'd get a deal for a trilogy and thus all things changed so abruptly.
Very cool and 👍
It's prolly what happened with (view spoiler) and the sudden introduction of an (view spoiler) just when it started to be the really "fashionable" thing to have in YA. Despite all this, we both loved the book!
So *hip bump* and 🍷thank you so much, luv for helping to ease my frust...you gave it a plausible answer...
I hope we do more BRs together.

message 48: by Zaara (last edited Oct 21, 2019 05:35AM) (new)

Zaara | 4197 comments @Andy:
Ha...there you are...I feared I had given you a coronary thrombosis while you were out walking your friend's dog...😜😂😝

idiffer wrote:
(view spoiler)

Now be fair, where did I ever talk about Harry Potter and romance...and with you??
😂😂😂 o Andy...I know to protect what I love, tyvm.
See...remember when I was *kicking* you about Scythe/how I am "afraid" of your general scathing...your uhm ...uh scathingness??? This was the kinda thing I were kidding you about + like I said...I nevarr did mean it in an uncomplimentary way)...you are very incisive...sometimes you go all Tarantino on spë€d meets "Rashomon" Glokta over things...and I'm all...awed, I guess. It's uniquely you. And oftentimes it is beautiful, in a Dance of the RazorBlades way.

But hey. Me, I talked about Harry's teenrage and how he did not vent it (like Mia) in implusive shaggings. Because I have not...I have nevarr underestimated you, O Most Excellent Superior Glokta...
😜😂 *kick*

ABOUT HARRY POTTER: An essay 😂 for ALL things (not just 💋 romamce)

(view spoiler)

message 49: by Zaara (last edited Oct 21, 2019 05:38AM) (new)

Zaara | 4197 comments Uummm yea maybe I wasn't clear enough.
I said that (perhaps?) dialogue is an inadequate medium of expression for human communication in matters of the heart. I did not say it is unnecessary. We none of us (humans) have the heart to remain in love with absolutely no words or gestures of affection at all. We all need to know we are needed, yea? And even when we know we like to be told.

I only said "dialogue/conversation" (that too written out in that scripted way by Jay Kristoff) was incomplete to convey the full picture and seemed totally stilted and wrong. Also I was talking 'bout what drives us to make a sexual choice and the (later) justifications you give yourself for such choices. I wanted Mia to choose a person not react (ragefully) to a situation.

idiffer wrote: "@Z
I also totally do not get MiAsh. It would have been nice to have been, as you say, spoonfed or beaten over the head with it, but I didn't feel that."

Yeaah-UHyea 😂 I totally was betting you wouldn't like MiAsh...you have shared your views on romance with me before:

(view spoiler)

I don't enjoy repetition and can't flow with it when it goes overboard. Even when it is very well done and the actual phrases/manifestations are skilfully varied...it always seems to me the author is trying to give the reader condescending mental instructions....ie. basically "lemme tell you what to think because you are too dumb to come to your own conclusions"... I was saying the same thing to Narilka on the Dume thread on another such scene.

EDIT: Because I totally forgot to spoiler anything...😂😂😂

message 50: by Zaara (last edited Oct 21, 2019 06:05AM) (new)

Zaara | 4197 comments idiffer wrote: "PS.
A lot of romances use banter to show chemistry, but I see it as a very cheap device. Humour is considered the lowest genre for a reason..."

idiffer wrote: "PS.
A lot of romances use banter to show chemistry, but I see it as a very cheap device. Humour is considered the lowest genre for a reason..."

On this scale, Andy, I am the cheapest thing there is...because I dearly love to laugh (do you recognise which book this is from?)
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

I ❤️ banter and have terribad taste....😜😝😂 very very broad wink...and BIIIIG KICK
So you is just gonna have to get used to my embarrassing rootletoot trashonkety ways, daaaaaarlin'...sometimes (not many, I don't know enough) I read books just because they're trashy....Shaitarn and I just...we just recently gloated on Celtic bilge...and I bet we will read more.......

EDIT Because I do also like chemistry...

« previous 1