Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle, #1)
This topic is about Nevernight
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Nevernight [July 2019]

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3555 comments Mod
Buddy read starts 10th July.

Timelord Iain | 16630 comments Gettin' in on this just in time for the finale in September... wasn't this the book club book for Feb 2018?

Anni | 5020 comments I'm not sure it was February, but yeah it was a while ago, I might join this as a re-read before jumping into Book 2 and 3 :)

Laura Tenfingers | 1107 comments In. I've checked this out of the library more times than I can count but for some reason I've never gotten to it! More fun with you all. :)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Ohhh, I've been wanting to read this since it was released. Definitely in!

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) | 80 comments I have been waiting to read this book for awhile now

Vaelin | 51 comments Count me in

Solseit | 1460 comments I should be in for this - I actually liked Nevernight and I wanted to read the trilogy! So count me in for this!

Saar The Book owl | 2012 comments Getting my copy today. I've read the first 175 pages a while ago and it's an interesting book to read.

Kathrine | 1246 comments My copy hasn't arrived yet, but crossing my fingers it will before Friday because my family and I leave for Norway early Saturday morning and will be gone for three weeks xD

But I'm super excited to read this book, I've heard a lot of good stuff about it!

message 11: by Anni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Uh, sounds exciting! Fingers crossed it arrives in time :)

Kathrine | 1246 comments It arrived! :D And has been put with the other books I'm bringing. I've been picking out the books I wanna take on the trip, and so far I've chosen 9 – it's only a few weeks but better safe than sorry (and bored), right? xD

Solseit | 1460 comments I am starting now! I really liked it the first time I read it! Exciting!

Solseit | 1460 comments I forgot how interesting are the writing choices of the first chapter. Unique even. I am so glad I am back to this world!

message 15: by Anni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Solseit wrote: "I forgot how interesting are the writing choices of the first chapter. Unique even. I am so glad I am back to this world!"

Yes, same :) I remember being really confused reading the first chapter, but as I figured out what's going on, I thought it was really cool. It's even better the second time!

Solseit | 1460 comments I flew through the book. I just finished it. I forgot some details but the core was there.
Now I am going to patiently wait for the next book to see what Mia is going to do next.

Ultimately, I liked the book; I love how solid the world building is. So well defined. I also liked the characters (and some more than others; and I developed a particular interest in Cassius).

Yet, I still have my reservations about using the heritage of a place one did not live in. It is silly, don’t get me wrong but I do not feel like it is appropriate (nor the nuances were properly reflected) to take the 1600 Northern Italy as inspiration (The Betrothed by Manzoni being the strongest influence) and use it in this context. Half-way too. I wonder if this is how it feels when non-Chinese or non-Japanese take inspiration from their heritage and try to make it part of ones books.
Again, personal pet peeve.
Other than that, it was certainly way too graphic in certain points (which I thought were not necessary) and they did not add much (not to say anything) to the story itself.

Saar The Book owl | 2012 comments I've started yesterday. I've started a couple of months ago, but then stopped. I haven't forget mutch. I just love the interesting writing style with the footnotes. The shadowcat is interesting too! The worldbuilding is big and I liked Mia from the beginning.

Timelord Iain | 16630 comments I'm listening on audio, even tho I've heard that that can be a little rough... it was touch and go at the start, but I'm liking it... quite a lot of dung in this story...

I'm at the end of Part 1 right now, about 30% through the book... the narration is interesting (the book, not the audio)... the way whoever is telling the story will comment on things... altho sometimes it can be a bit much, when adding flourishes to things like the inn early on with similes...

Solseit | 1460 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "I'm listening on audio, even tho I've heard that that can be a little rough... it was touch and go at the start, but I'm liking it... quite a lot of dung in this story...

I'm at the end of Part 1 ..."

I think this is one of the books that is better read than listened to. There are so many details - mostly interesting - that add flavor to the story but they are mostly buried in the notes and it is fragmented if you listen to it without a book in front of you.

message 20: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jul 16, 2019 04:01AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Timelord Iain | 16630 comments Solseit wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "I'm listening on audio, even tho I've heard that that can be a little rough... it was touch and go at the start, but I'm liking it... quite a lot of dung in this story...

I'm..."

I pulled up the Google preview, and it looks like the footnotes are included in the audiobook, altho i dunno how it's decided when to include them... probably at the end of the paragraph or something... the one about the Brightest Light arson being heresy was included at some point, tho...

The narrator comments make a bit more sense, in the context of footnotes, tho, for sure...

message 21: by Anni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Solseit wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "I'm listening on audio, even tho I've heard that that can be a little rough... it was touch and go at the start, but I'm liking it... quite a lot of dung in th..."

I listened to parts of the book the first time around, but had my book at home and could compare it. The footnotes are included in the narration at the point at which the little star or number appears. It's like a insertion in brackets :) The thing is you often don't get that you're currently listening to a footnote, which make them a little less charming in my opinion...

Timelord Iain | 16630 comments I'm starting to wonder if Jay Kristoff writes normal books... Illuminae Files was a unique one, too...

Kathrine | 1246 comments I started yesterday and am a few chapters in. The book is an interesting read for sure, but I think I'll need a bit more time to be convinced that I'll enjoy it. Let's just say I'm not instantly blown away xD The title is amazing though, and I love the cover my edition has. Also, all the shadow-stuff is intriguing me!

I'm reading this along with The Blade Itself which might also be a bit unfair, because The Blade Itself is amazing and I can hardly stop listening to it to read Nevernight xD

Timelord Iain | 16630 comments Kathrine wrote: "I started yesterday and am a few chapters in. The book is an interesting read for sure, but I think I'll need a bit more time to be convinced that I'll enjoy it. Let's just say I'm not instantly bl..."

I was engaged early, but I'm flagging a bit in the middle... the shadowcat is a fear crutch, and seems like a dangerous Achilles heel for an assassin... (view spoiler)

message 25: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jul 16, 2019 02:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Timelord Iain | 16630 comments Chapter 26: With everything going on with the school mystery, it's kinda funny that the book has one set of theories, and I have a completely different set... (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 16630 comments Chapter 30: (view spoiler)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Sorry for my absence, guys, I'm finally home from holiday and have access to my computer again so I can comment again (because the GR app really sucks for commenting). I finished the book while away and here's some of my thoughts:

Overall: (view spoiler)

The writing: (view spoiler)

Darkins: (view spoiler)

4 stars

Kathrine | 1246 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Chapter 30: [spoilers removed]"

That's actually a great observation that I didn't think of, but that I'll definitely keep in mind if I ever have to win a thieving point contest! xD

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Started this a while ago, but then hit a slump... I'll try to catch up and start the second one soon as well!

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Made it to chapter 16!
(view spoiler)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Forgot to comment on the footnotes...
On the one hand, they're super interesting and show how much the author knows about his world that isn't even relevant to the main story. But, on the other hand, most of the time they take me out of the story and prevent me from being totally absorbed by it.

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Chapter 31
(view spoiler)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Finished yesterday!

(view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 2012 comments Totally forgot about this one! I've started it for the BR, but then put it aside. Will pick it up this evening and I'm curious to read the comments later.

message 35: by Zaara (last edited Sep 27, 2019 12:21PM) (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments This BR is dedicated to Mother Russia one of her favourite sons

Loved that dedication!! Immediately I am favourably disposed towards this writer. He seems like a Nice Guy...and then immediaetly 😂😂😂 (view spoiler)

I am thru Part 1.
PART ONE SPOILERS

The early switchbacks/repetition in Chapter 1
(view spoiler)

Story:
(view spoiler)
Apart from the writing style, I like the world and the magic very much so far. And I like the irritated banter between Mia and Tric.

Re the footnotes...I LOVE them, and actually they do remind me of Bartimaeus...but they're a bit more adult...
😂😂😂 @ (view spoiler)
Mainly bcuz...like I said, acadaemia + I enjoy the random nonsense asides and stories...I am a fervent supporter of #NonsenseStorytime...and also the filling in of the world mythos, the fleshing out of history...
But I can certainly see the point @Angela Jr was making...some of them footnotes are merely wit for wit's sake and if it becomes too much unnecessariness...it can irk...I feel ya, gal.

And also Eeeeeuurrkh @ the creepy bartender Mia met in Last Hope.
Random nonplot description of a creepy dude quote for Virginie:
"His eyes were a little too close together, and he reeked of rotten fish...He was propped behind the bar in a grubby apron (bloodstains?)...Mia noticed one of his eyes moved slightly before the other, like a child leading a slow cousin by the hand."

Ch 4
(view spoiler)

Pigfiddler 😂😂😂...wait...wait...I HAVE to call someone this...luckily I have an assortment of brothers who can be relied on to provide many opportunities for such excellent usage of refined language...

And Bast@rd...ahaaaa the humour of (view spoiler)

And then the library scenes at End of Part 1...always gotta give those some 😍😍😍

message 36: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments Andy? Anybody?
:/ I like the short chapters.

Just finishing PART 2
There seems to be some sort of (view spoiler) developing in the footnotes CH 12 (view spoiler)

CH 14 Aalea and (view spoiler) whereas Rowling's writing (that Tonks scene but also generally) is a big happy hug that catches everybody in its warmth.

Weird thought but what sort of mother would Aalea have made? What it will be like to have a mother like her. And aaaaww how sweet that (view spoiler)

CH 16-17 YECK...(view spoiler)

Only one small general gripe...(view spoiler)

message 37: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments Finished.

Whoa CH 24 (view spoiler)

CH 27 Mia in (view spoiler)

Ch 34 (view spoiler)

End/fullbook
(view spoiler)

@Andy...are you ok? You haven't logged in for ages now...dude...hope you aren't sick or something.........

message 38: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments I actually handwrote a Cassius/Aalea smut claarsy fan fiction scene in my journal because the idea wouldn't leave my head. (view spoiler)Rope was involved.
And before you see this, nope I'd much rather not...it's too embarrasing. But...I'm jezzt sayin'.......I ship these two hard, thank you Jay Kristoff.

idiffer | 765 comments Re the footnotes...I LOVE them, (с)

I don't. I tried reading a few, but the information didn't seem important or interesting enough for me to be taken out of the story.

(for me) nothing so far has topped Mark Lawrence's Justice scenes from Broken Empire...which made me angry cry. You remember? (c)

I read only books 1 and 2 + I skipped all the flashbacks. Remind me?

is irritating when the "not" cat is "not" doing something in sentences which basically mean that "the cat is doing something".(c)

Mmm, any paraphrased quotes? I don't remember this, and the way you describe it, it seems kinda dumb. Maybe I misundestood what you meant?

That's it for coments about your first two posts. If I didn't comment on it, that means I agree. Will comment on nyour other posts later today probably.

idiffer | 765 comments Agree with you about the shadow plothole, though I didn't notice it at the time of reading.
That's all I have to say. Except I wrote a review of Nevernight back in 2017 I think. If you want, you can read it.
I read this book long ago, so all the detaails are veeery fuzzy.

message 41: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments :D you came!

About Justice...o Andy...how to explain...when you skipped an entire timeline...😂😂😂 but its enough you and Satan came to read Broken Empire with us...gritting your teeth and cribbing and (now apparently I realise) skipping vast honking portions...but still....

Ok now let's move quietly to the GG thread because I finished this one...

message 42: by Carl (new) - rated it 4 stars

Carl (lazarusreads) | 4 comments I finished this book a month ago and went out and got the other two parts, have to say the writing style took a lot of getting used to but by the time I finished and had to see where it leads.

message 43: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments Carl wrote: "I finished this book a month ago and went out and got the other two parts, have to say the writing style took a lot of getting used to but by the time I finished and had to see where it leads."

Good on ya, Carl. Anni, Andy and I are gonna start Darkdawn in a couple days, I guess...so come on over if you've finished GG and join the conversation...

message 44: by Anni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Yes, please join us! :)