Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Holy Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #3)
This topic is about Holy Sister
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Lawrence - Holy Sister [April 11, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3534 comments Mod
Buddy read starts 11th April.

Shae | 372 comments In :-)

Timelord Iain | 15623 comments May as well finish the trilogy... I've liked 50% of each book so far...

Solseit | 1460 comments If I will have access to the book, I am in too!!

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1030 comments I'm in

message 11: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments In

Narilka | 2629 comments I started last night 😁 I’m only through chapter 3 (view spoiler)

Jessica (raivynwolf) | 681 comments In! Just bought a copy yesterday!

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1030 comments I won't be starting until Friday, but I'm super excited about this

Tammie | 3993 comments I'll be starting tonight.

message 16: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments I'll start tomorrow or friday :)

Solseit | 1460 comments I am starting today! So excited to see the end of the trilogy!

Solseit | 1460 comments Narilka wrote: "I started last night 😁 I’m only through chapter 3 [spoilers removed]"

I am enjoying that aspect as well!
Another welcomed change in Mark Lawrence's style is much shorter chapters that make the book easy to digest in smaller bites!

So far, I am enjoying it - I am through chapter 3 right now and I am inhaling every single word with pleasure. I did not realize I wanted to read this book so badly until I started reading it!

Olivia (vinjii) | 1071 comments I’m starting this on Sunday or Monday.

Andorion (ruineleint) Starting today hopefully.

message 21: by Tammie (last edited Apr 13, 2019 01:50AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tammie | 3993 comments I'm in chapter 14 and I'm enjoying it a lot. It does seem like it's going by pretty fast and that probably does have something to do with the shorter chapters. We got future glimpses in the other two books so I guess it's not too surprising to me that he is jumping back and forth in the timeline, but it is way more of that this time around. (view spoiler)

message 22: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments I have started just now. I really like that he included a short summary at the beginning of the book. I think more authors should do that!

Tammie | 3993 comments Bea wrote: "I have started just now. I really like that he included a short summary at the beginning of the book. I think more authors should do that!"

I liked that too. I've searched for recaps for several books before reading their sequels. It would be great if all books had recaps.

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1030 comments I'm on chapter 12, loving it so far. Totally agree more authors should do recaps.

Jessica (raivynwolf) | 681 comments Just started this one today and I love the recap also. I also really liked that he makes it clear what it is so people can skip it if they want. I really love Nona, so excited to see how this ends!

Tammie | 3993 comments Chapter 22 (view spoiler)

message 27: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Up to chapter 18

(view spoiler)

Narilka | 2629 comments Ch 13 (view spoiler)

Narilka | 2629 comments Also agree with everyone above. More authors need to do recaps between books.

Tammie | 3993 comments Bea wrote: "Up to chapter 18."

(view spoiler)

Tammie | 3993 comments Finished! (view spoiler)

message 32: by Shae (last edited Apr 13, 2019 09:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shae | 372 comments Just started and like everyone here, thoroughly appreciate the way ML includes a precis (re-cap) at the beginning. Also wish more authors would do this :-)

Excited, yet sad to be reading the final book in this trilogy.

Narilka | 2629 comments Ch 14 (view spoiler)

Narilka | 2629 comments Bea wrote: "Up to chapter 18

[spoilers removed] ..."

(view spoiler)

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1030 comments Tammie wrote: "Finished! [spoilers removed]"

I finished last night (view spoiler)

Narilka | 2629 comments Tammie wrote: "Chapter 22 [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 37: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Narilka wrote: "Bea wrote: "Up to chapter 18

[spoilers removed] ..."
"

(view spoiler)

message 38: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Finished. The ending was pretty good! The second half of the book was definitely way stronger than the first.
I'll need to think about wether I'll rate it 3 or 4 stars. Maybe 4 stars because of the last part. If that sounds too negative, it's not meant to be, I overall did really enjoy the series but it's not an all-time favorite.
It seems I'm always that person who only likes but not loves series everybody loves to death 😖

(view spoiler)

message 39: by Tammie (last edited Apr 14, 2019 01:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tammie | 3993 comments Bea wrote: "Finished. The ending was pretty good! The second half of the book was definitely way stronger than the first.
I'll need to think about wether I'll rate it 3 or 4 stars. Maybe 4 stars because of the..."

I agree I'm having a hard time with my rating for this one. I liked this book especially the second half, but not as much as the other two.

(view spoiler)

Narilka | 2629 comments I finished. I went with 4 stars. Loved the second half of the book a lot.

@Bea (view spoiler)

In general (view spoiler)

Mark Lawrence has stated there's going to be a second trilogy set in this world. The first book is due out next year. Maybe it will fill in some of the world building gaps.

Andorion (ruineleint) Chapter 6

I am not sure if I like this dual timeline, I feel like it diffused narrative tension.

message 42: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Arkadeb wrote: "Chapter 6

I am not sure if I like this dual timeline, I feel like it diffused narrative tension."

Yeah, I kind of agree. Especially given that the book is relatively short (for a fantasy book) I'm not really sure if it was the best idea to split the narrative...

Chris  (haughtc) | 1684 comments I have my copy from Audible. As per usual I'm behind on stuff. I still have a few hours left on the reread of Grey Sister.

Solseit | 1460 comments I actually like the fact that the story is told with two different story lines. It makes it different from his usual style and I am genuinely fascinated by this process.
I am also sure this serves a purpose at the end - for example, something that happened in the earlier time line must be so relevant that cannot be shared until we get to the end. Purely my guess but Mark Lawrence has always been beyond detail oriented!

Jessica (raivynwolf) | 681 comments Narilka wrote: "Ch 14 [spoilers removed]"

Totally agree with you about that part!(view spoiler)

I'm up to CH 17 and really enjoying it so far. The dual timelines were a bit confusing in the beginning, but I don't mind it at all now.
(view spoiler)

message 46: by Solseit (last edited Apr 16, 2019 04:09AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Solseit | 1460 comments I just finished chapter 14 and I agree with all the comments before.

@Tammie, yes (view spoiler)

@ Narilka and Jessica, yes. Absolutely yes and it was long time due. Although chapter 14 was a mixed bag for me (view spoiler)

message 47: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Solseit wrote: "I just finished chapter 14 and I agree with all the comments before.

@Tammie, yes the romance is completely missing the point; I did not read the novella so I did not put too much weight on the ..."

You should maybe put part two of your comment into a spoiler :)

Solseit | 1460 comments Bea wrote: "Solseit wrote: "I just finished chapter 14 and I agree with all the comments before.

@Tammie, yes the romance is completely missing the point; I did not read the novella so I did not put too much..."

You are absolutely right - I meant to do so and it did not work... APOLOGIES!

message 49: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Solseit wrote: "Bea wrote: "Solseit wrote: "I just finished chapter 14 and I agree with all the comments before.

@Tammie, yes the romance is completely missing the point; I did not read the novella so I did not ..."

No worries, it has happened to me, too :)

Tammie | 3993 comments For those of you that have finished (view spoiler)

« previous 1