Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Bloodwitch (The Witchlands, #3)
This topic is about Bloodwitch
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Dennard - Bloodwitch [February 19, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3555 comments Mod
Buddy read starts 19th February.

Shae | 372 comments In :-)

Timelord Iain | 16626 comments In... if you guys want to discuss Sightwitch before we start, this is as good a place as any...

Narilka | 2891 comments In. I'll probably take you up on the Sightwitch thing and do that in January.

message 5: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
There was another request where the group is doing the entire series and is in the Dennard folder.

1st February [ book:Truthwitch|21414439]
8th february [ book:Windwitch|29939390]
15th February [ book:Sightwitch|35481848]

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Solseit | 1460 comments If I can be up to date for the book prior to this one, I will be in!

Narilka | 2891 comments I wrapped up Sightwitch faster than I expected so starting Bloodwitch tonight :D

Shae | 372 comments Narilka wrote: "I wrapped up Sightwitch faster than I expected so starting Bloodwitch tonight :D"

Oh hooray! I picked up a copy of this over the weekend, I might try and start tonight too :-)

Narilka | 2891 comments I think I made it through ch 4. My kindle is counting pages oddly. I’m around 40 pages in but it only displays 2% completed so I’ll make sure to pay better attention to chapter numbers. Anyway, it’s great she drops us straight back into the world. (view spoiler)

message 10: by Shae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae | 372 comments Grrrr, I've been staring longingly at this book on my bed side table all week and barely had a chance to crack open the 1st chapter :-(
Really hoping to slow down a bit this weekend and dive in!

Narilka | 2891 comments I'm enjoying it. My work is keeping me busy so reading time has been reduced. I hope to get more time this weekend.

Through Ch 22 (view spoiler)

Narilka | 2891 comments I just remembered. (view spoiler)

message 13: by Shae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae | 372 comments Up to chapter 22.

Wow, Dennard certainly drops us right back into the thick of things and keeps all the moving parts cracking along at a nice pace!

@Narilka - it's been awhile since I read the first two books and the novella in this series, I felt slightly disoriented at first with all the things I had forgotten. I had to go back and look a few things up too :-)

As always, I'm really loving the way Dennard writes all the different points of view - no one's story arc is boring, all characters are nicely fleshed out and their motivations are believable.

Really enjoying this read so far - my daughter is currently listening to the audio version, so this creates some fun dinner table conversation too :-)

Solseit | 1460 comments I am through chapter 20 and I am enjoying the story.

I feel like Susan Dennard is doing a great job in describing powerful women - without exaggerating (with Vivia and Vaness mostly) - and the stories are not boring at all.

So far though, I feel like little has occurred. While I am digging the insights in Aeduan's life, I am not sure there is much happening, besides the moving pieces. Which is fine, as long as all this prework will allow to see a quick escalation of events soon!

(view spoiler)

message 15: by Mayim (new) - rated it 1 star

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments I have been delayed but I am starting Sightwitch today (great review Narilka!) and hopefully will be able to read it within one day. And then join you, ladies.

Narilka | 2891 comments Through Ch 41 (view spoiler)

Narilka | 2891 comments Mayim wrote: "I have been delayed but I am starting Sightwitch today (great review Narilka!) and hopefully will be able to read it within one day. And then join you, ladies."

Thanks Mayim!

Solseit | 1460 comments Mayim wrote: "I have been delayed but I am starting Sightwitch today (great review Narilka!) and hopefully will be able to read it within one day. And then join you, ladies."

NICE! I am sorry I started reading before you did but I was trying to clean up my schedule! Yet, I am looking forward to your comments and thoughts!

Timelord Iain | 16626 comments Solseit wrote: "Mayim wrote: "I have been delayed but I am starting Sightwitch today (great review Narilka!) and hopefully will be able to read it within one day. And then join you, ladies."

NICE! I am sorry I st..."

Story of my life. I'm constantly signing up for things, backing out of things, delaying things because I need to take a break for my sanity, etc... so I'm always behind on BRs, it seems...

Right now, I'm a week behind on this, remembered I meant to read The Giver weeks ago, have Twenty-Sided Sorceress #4 & Tigana to read today (started Tigana), and rejoined the Farseer trilogy BR late... always something... and this ignores the UF I've been reading with another group, and cozy mysteries I've been squeezing in...

I loaded this on to my phone yesterday, so I hope to start soon...

Narilka | 2891 comments I finished last night. Those last 100 pages are quite a ride! I’m still gathering my thoughts and will post more later. Can’t wait for you all to catch up 😊

Solseit | 1460 comments Narilka wrote: "I finished last night. Those last 100 pages are quite a ride! I’m still gathering my thoughts and will post more later. Can’t wait for you all to catch up 😊"

Well done Narilka!
I think I am hitting those last 100 pages you are referring to! I am considering leaving work a little earlier and just focus on the read - I am eager to finish the story!

message 22: by Shae (last edited Mar 01, 2019 08:15AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae | 372 comments Solseit wrote: "I am through chapter 20 and I am enjoying the story.

I feel like Susan Dennard is doing a great job in describing powerful women - without exaggerating (with Vivia and Vaness mostly)"

Oh yes, I agree about the great descriptions of powerful women. I quite liked this quote from antagonist, Esme, at the end of chapter 25:

(view spoiler)

Also, I appreciate Dennard's ability to make me feel some sympathy towards Esme, even though this character does not seem to have a shred of kindness or decency left in her soul. (There's almost always a sad reason why people allow themselves to be ruled by rage).

message 23: by Shae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae | 372 comments Narilka wrote: "Through Ch 41"

Lol, I agree with your assessment of Aeduan: (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 16626 comments Finally started... thru chapter 10... anybody that read the entire series this month want to give me a recap... I read the first 2 books in 2017, so my memory is murky and only vaguely coming back as I read...

Solseit | 1460 comments Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "Finally started... thru chapter 10... anybody that read the entire series this month want to give me a recap... I read the first 2 books in 2017, so my memory is murky and only vaguely coming back ..."

so, quickly, as much as I recall before the blurring of the lines. Iseult and Aeduan are traveling together to find Safi; Safi and Vaness are still together; Merik is dealing with the cleaved; Vivian is a new point of view I believe in this story.

The lines between the first, second and third book are quite blurred for me right now! And I just finished Bloodwitch! Bad memory!
But I hope this will be sufficient - if not, let me know and I will try to hide the content with the spoiler tag!

Timelord Iain | 16626 comments Solseit wrote: "Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "Finally started... thru chapter 10... anybody that read the entire series this month want to give me a recap... I read the first 2 books in 2017, so my memory is murk..."

We'll see... I'd figured most of that out, except the Vivian part... I thought she might be the new girl POV from book 2...

message 27: by Shae (last edited Mar 01, 2019 08:36AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae | 372 comments Finished :-) Far out, those last few chapters were definitely super charged!

Some final thoughts: (view spoiler)

I'm rating this 4 stars :-) I can't wait to find out what happens in book 4!

Narilka | 2891 comments Review posted: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Shae, we had some similar thoughts.

message 29: by Shae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae | 372 comments @Narilka - just saw your fabulous review, loved your observation about the desire for freedom to make our own choices/decisions. This series is really fun, but has some great depth to it too :-)

Narilka | 2891 comments It is. These characters have really grown on me. I hope it's not too long a wait for book 4 :)

Timelord Iain | 16626 comments I'm on chapter 45, and I feel like I could summarize this entire series in 6 words: Things didn't go according to plan.

(view spoiler)

@Solseit: Vivia IS the girl from the 2nd book... unless you meant the insight into the Empress is new, cause I think that's true...

As much as I'm enjoying this book and the way it's building to a conclusion, I'm not sure if I want to continue with the next book on release, or wait for the series to end, so I can just binge it all... having been 2 years since the last book, with a novella to tide us over, I've felt mildly lost throughout the book, and think it would be better to read the book while the characters are fresh in my mind... we'll see...

Timelord Iain | 16626 comments Narilka wrote: "Chapter 22..."

I find it interesting how most characters seem to have a romantic pairing, but there's too much going on in the world for them to even really be together, never mind explore the relationship...

Timelord Iain | 16626 comments Narilka wrote: "I just remembered. [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Chapter 45: (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 16626 comments Narilka wrote: "Through Ch 41..."

(view spoiler)

Narilka | 2891 comments Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "I'm on chapter 45, and I feel like I could summarize this entire series in 6 words: Things didn't go according to plan."

Good summary!

message 36: by Shae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae | 372 comments Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "I'm on chapter 45, and I feel like I could summarize this entire series in 6 words: Things didn't go according to plan.

Haha yes - a concise, yet perfectly apt summary :-)