Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

King of Scars (King of Scars, #1)
This topic is about King of Scars
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Bardugo - King of Scars [February 5, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 97 (97 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3523 comments Mod
Buddy read starts 5th February.

Timelord Iain | 15498 comments Yup... in for this, too...

Anni | 5020 comments Me too :)

message 4: by Kathrine (new) - added it

Kathrine | 1246 comments So excited!

message 6: by Soo (new) - added it

Soo (silverlyn) | 4401 comments Em and I have a question! =D

Em: Question - Does Kings of Scars has a new plot? I haven't read the original trilogy. Will it effect my enjoyment of reading this latest Bardugo?

I would like to know too. I don't think I finished the other series either.

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2321 comments I have read Six of Crows. While I enjoyed it, I never felt like I want to read the sequel. The age group that the characters falls and the things they achieved bugged me a lot.

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2321 comments Soo wrote: "Em and I have a question! =D

Em: Question - Does Kings of Scars has a new plot? I haven't read the original trilogy. Will it effect my enjoyment of reading this latest Bardugo?

I would like to k..."

Glad am not alone. ;) I see only raving reviews for Ms Bardugo… whereas I didn't find her that impressive.

message 9: by Emily (last edited Jan 18, 2019 05:23AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Emily (emilyismyusername) | 10 comments Em Lost In Books wrote: "I have read Six of Crows. While I enjoyed it, I never felt like I want to read the sequel. The age group that the characters falls and the things they achieved bugged me a lot."

I enjoyed the second book more Crooked Kingdom than the first. But, if you really didn't like the first one then I don't suppose you'd like the sequal lol.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7650 comments Soo wrote: "Em and I have a question! =D

I would like to k..."

Someone else might know better, but I think this new duology is about a character in the Grisha trilogy. So there's probably stuff you need to know about him. Might affect your enjoyment.

Emily (emilyismyusername) | 10 comments It's about Nikolai, who was not the main character in the Grishaverse but a pretty important one and one of my personal favourites. ;)
Certain events took place in the trilogy and we will see the aftermath of this in the KOS.
As far as I'm aware, the main characters apart from Nikolai are new to us. There will be other characters from the other books making an appearance too but I don't think it will take away from it if you haven't read the others.
I would say that she has written it with the understanding that not everyone will have read the trilogy so it will probably be explained.

message 12: by Kathrine (new) - added it

Kathrine | 1246 comments I think the author, Leigh Bardugo, confirmed on twitter that Nina Zenik from SoC/CK will be a POV character in King of Scars (which I'm really excited about, I love Nina!)

message 13: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Kathrine wrote: "I think the author, Leigh Bardugo, confirmed on twitter that Nina Zenik from SoC/CK will be a POV character in King of Scars (which I'm really excited about, I love Nina!)"

Yes! That said, I think reading King of Scars first will spoil both series for you 🤔

message 14: by Kathrine (new) - added it

Kathrine | 1246 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Yes! That said, I think reading King of Scars first will spoil both series for you 🤔"

Yeah, I think it'd be best to have read both the Grisha-trilogy and SoC/CK to get the most out of King of Scars

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7650 comments Yes I heard that! I still need to read Crooked Kingdom! :s

message 16: by Em Lost In Books (new)

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2321 comments Thanks!! I will be sitting out this one then.

Narilka | 2615 comments I couldn't help myself - I started :)

Through Ch 3 (view spoiler)

message 18: by Kathrine (new) - added it

Kathrine | 1246 comments Book Depository hasn't shipped my copy yet, so I'll probably have to sit this one out :(

message 19: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Kathrine wrote: "Book Depository hasn't shipped my copy yet, so I'll probably have to sit this one out :("

I also have to wait for my copy a little longer, we can be late together ;)

message 20: by Kathrine (new) - added it

Kathrine | 1246 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Kathrine wrote: "Book Depository hasn't shipped my copy yet, so I'll probably have to sit this one out :("

I also have to wait for my copy a little longer, we can be late together ;)"

Yay :D

Narilka | 2615 comments Kathrine wrote: "Book Depository hasn't shipped my copy yet, so I'll probably have to sit this one out :("

That stinks. I hope both of your copies arrive soon.

Narilka | 2615 comments I'm in Ch 6. Not a lot of comments yet, this is a slow build kind of book. I seem to be picking a lot of these lately.

Lindsay | 2 comments You definitely don’t need to read any of the previous series to start KoS- Bardugo writes her books intentionally so that new readers can start wherever they find the story most interests them and still have some idea of how her world works. This one does a lot of recapping of the original trilogy so don’t feel obligated to skip out for that reason :)

message 24: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Lindsay wrote: "You definitely don’t need to read any of the previous series to start KoS- Bardugo writes her books intentionally so that new readers can start wherever they find the story most interests them and ..."

But you would still spoil both of the other series for you... If you don't want to read them, that's fine, but if you do, I would start "at the beginning" :)

Cherrie Hello, I'm joining in now! I didn't read Ruin and Rising, so I'm relieved that she recaps the events of the previous series!

Pallavi (bookfetisher) | 109 comments I just started... 2 chapters down.
I am totally hooked!!!

message 27: by Kathrine (new) - added it

Kathrine | 1246 comments I've decided to cancel my pre-order from Book Depository. It's been a week since publication, but it still says "Awaiting publication" on my order status.

I might buy it as an e-book, but I only have an iPhone to read on. Does anyone have experience with the iBooks app?

message 28: by Charlie (new) - added it

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4463 comments I haven't started this yet, i popped onto the Waterstones website to order it and found this:

"Published just as Netflix announces an 8-part adaptation of Six of Crows and Shadow and Bone, the eagerly-awaited next chapter in the ‘Grishaverse’ explores new corners of Bardugo’s stunningly imagined world. An exploration of conflicted loyalty and inner demons, it explores one of Bardugo’s most intriguing protagonists, the conflicted, charming and deadly Ravkan king, Nikolai Lantsov."

Grisha on Netflix!!!! What!!

Narilka | 2615 comments Grisha on Netflix has potential :)

Through Ch 9. Nikolai speculation (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 15498 comments I'll start this over the weekend... hopefully it's better than my last couple audiobooks... been a bit of a disappointing month so far...

Timelord Iain | 15498 comments Charlie wrote: "I haven't started this yet, i popped onto the Waterstones website to order it and found this:

"Published just as Netflix announces an 8-part adaptation of Six of Crows and Shadow and Bone, the eag..."

Yea... I heard about that a couple weeks/months ago... someone linked the announcement somewhere (vague, I know, but I think I found out on the site somewhere... in a TV/movies thread or a review)

Elena Granger | 83 comments Is it late to start in 2 days or is it still ok?

message 33: by Charlie (new) - added it

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4463 comments That's fine Jess! You can start whenever you're ready. The date is just a guideline for people so we're reading together.

Elena Granger | 83 comments Yay! So great! I've just bought the e-book, gonna finish The Way of Kings today and take a little break (after reading this book it's hard to keep on reading without taking a break) and then start reading King of Scars :)

message 35: by Sha (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sha | 1522 comments In~

Narilka | 2615 comments I finished. (view spoiler)

message 37: by Charlie (new) - added it

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4463 comments I'm going to have to withdraw from this one unfortunately since I can't get a physical copy. Hopefully there will be another BR later in the year for it.

Reece | 4 comments Kathrine wrote: "I've decided to cancel my pre-order from Book Depository. It's been a week since publication, but it still says "Awaiting publication" on my order status.

I might buy it as an e-book, but I only ..."

I'm quite fond of iBooks. I use it all the time.

Timelord Iain | 15498 comments I've just started, and I think I'll make a couple predictions for the story (predictions I feel stupid for not coming up with months ago, now that I've read the prologue and chapter 1, I think): (view spoiler)

message 40: by Sha (last edited Feb 11, 2019 06:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sha | 1522 comments 1. This book feels more like Six of Crows than grishaverse, despite the characters. Which is a good thing, because I loved six of crows and was bored by grishaverse.

2. That said, my loyalties are showing, because despite the relative magnitudes of the plotlines, I'm way more interested in whatever Nina does than I am in the politics and survival of the entire Ravkan nation.

3. I remember how SoC started so I was very relieved that the random 8-year old kid did not end up getting gruesomely murdered so yay.

4. The only Grishaverse character I remember is Genya so I may be a little lost in Ravka. This probably contributes to my preferences.

5. "I don't like that word. Call me Grisha. Call me zowa. Call me death, if you like."
Sometimes I just sign with happiness because I love Nina so much. T_T

Timelord Iain | 15498 comments Main characters I remember, so far, are the main characters... Nina, Zoya, Nikolai... not too far in yet, tho...

Reece | 4 comments Just finished chapter nine. I'm excited to see where this goes. There have been some interesting plot points, and I really like that I have no solid idea of what might happen. It sucks when you can see everything coming a mile away.

Timelord Iain | 15498 comments Reece wrote: "Just finished chapter nine. I'm excited to see where this goes. There have been some interesting plot points, and I really like that I have no solid idea of what might happen. It sucks when you can..."

Definitely agree... early on, I was unhappy that they seemed to be just rehashing old plot points from Grisha trilogy and Six of Crows... but some new surprising developments have cropped up, around the 50-66% mark, that are pretty exciting...

All my predictions were pretty wrong... (view spoiler)

The scene in the factory: (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 15498 comments Narilka wrote: "Grisha on Netflix has potential :)

Through Ch 9. Nikolai speculation [spoilers removed]"

That's kinda what I'm hoping...

Timelord Iain | 15498 comments Marta wrote: "spoliers
I know that I'm probably the only one who thinks so, but I will not come to terms with thinking if Nina finds a new love. And I am afraid that this will happen I loved Nina and Matthias. I..."

in the future, you should use < spoiler > tags < /spoiler > to hide spoilers (just remove the spaces I used between <>)

In this case, it was more a spoiler for the other series, so not a big deal...

message 46: by Timelord Iain (last edited Feb 12, 2019 05:48AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Timelord Iain | 15498 comments Sha wrote: "1. This book feels more like Six of Crows than grishaverse, despite the characters. Which is a good thing, because I loved six of crows and was bored by grishaverse.

2. That said, my loyalties are..."

@Sha: One of my favorite things about Ruin & Rising (that's the 3rd one, right?) was that it started to feel more like the ensemble of Six of Crows, than the earlier Grisha books...

@Narilka: I shouldn't have clicked that ending spoiler, but you included so little in your previous comments... don't think I'll be happy with thet, either (view spoiler)

@Lindsey: while you COULD read this book, if you didn't care too much about spoilers, it definitely spoils who dies in the other books... and certain other things... most books/series are designed to welcome new reads as well as old, doesn't make it the best idea for full enjoyment... the hard part is when the earliest works turn you away before the author "gets good"... authors definitely improve over time, usually (assuming they don't get stuck in a rut writing the same basic book over and over... common in the romance genres)

Narilka | 2615 comments @Iain Yeah, I tend to post less when I’m talking to myself 😉 I also didn’t have too many comments. Where are you at?

Timelord Iain | 15498 comments Narilka wrote: "@Iain Yeah, I tend to post less when I’m talking to myself 😉 I also didn’t have too many comments. Where are you at?"

(view spoiler)

Narilka | 2615 comments (view spoiler)

Lindsay | 2 comments @Ian: yes, I usually agree with you that it’s better to start with the first books and work your way into the world in chronological order. In this particular case, I didn’t and when I binged through the whole Grisha trilogy after King of Scars I really didn’t find myself spoiled for the series. To say that the good guys win and the villain dies isn’t much of a spoiler. Granted, there were a few twists that were ruined (like the revelation of the villain) but overall there was so much more to these books that isn’t even alluded to in KoS. I even think some of the deaths mentioned in KoS didn’t actually happen the way it’s alluded that they did. Probably the biggest detriment to reading this particular series in the order I did just pointed out the difference in writing style between Bardugo’s earlier works and the newer ones like you mentioned. Definitely a challenge to not judge the quality of the Grisha trilogy based on the author’s growth as a writer!

« previous 1