Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

King of the Road (Brotherhood of the Wheel, #2)
This topic is about King of the Road
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > King of the Road [Dec 4, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3517 comments Mod
Buddy Read starts 4th Dec.

message 2: by Soo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3553 comments Can't wait! =D
Woo!

Timelord Iain | 14712 comments I remember when we read the first one and hoped it would be a series... not sure antone else has read it, but hopefully our discussion in the notification feed makes them think about it...

message 4: by Soo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3553 comments LoL - That would be amazing if but I doubt it. I think it's more of a matter of seeing how sales go.

I am SUPER excited for this book! WOO! Maybe I should just read authors I know and love for December. =D

Timelord Iain | 14712 comments I just meant more people around here... as many BRs as this group does, just seeing books being buddy read puts it into people's minds in the future... some series seem to get BR'd by a different group of people every 6 months...

message 6: by Soo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3553 comments I'm gonna go hog wild with this one. =)
Planning on reading & listening to it. Notes everywhere!

Timelord Iain | 14712 comments I remember last time... you read and re-read like a half dozen times... if it's anything like the first book, it's chock full of small random details...

I can't tell from the blurb if this is going to bring all the characters together again, or if there are just 2 storylines this time...

message 8: by Soo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3553 comments At the end of Brotherhood of the Wheel, the "learning/information" faction was talking about killing off the whole Brotherhood side. So, there's big stuff on the move and I'll be super upset if some of our regulars don't show up.

Timelord Iain | 14712 comments Yea... it's been too long since I read the first book, but don't really have time for a re-read... so if you want to give a bit of a recap of things you think might be important, feel free...

All 3 main characters from the first book are in the 2nd book... the biker is squiring to the trucker, and the cop is dealing with another incident in another state... but the first book was pretty spread out, and all the threads came together in that hidden town, so.....

message 10: by Soo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3553 comments I'll recap as we read the second book. That way it makes more sense. Like ya said, lots of little & relevant details are in the book. I totally forgot about Helvis until he showed up in the book. =)

Helvis. Heh

message 11: by Soo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3553 comments The audio was already available. I started! No worries if you don't remember a ton from book one because there's a nice, action packed intro and brief summaries. Also, all of the gang is here! =D

message 12: by Soo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3553 comments I went and bought the book! Woo! Almost done with the audio. I'll start reading the book and rambling off thoughts then. =D

message 13: by Soo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3553 comments Read an article & Brotherhood of the Wheel may turn into a movie/show. That'll be cool. Hopefully it will be done right. =D

Downside: I think it'll be a while before the next book in this series comes out because it sounds like Belcher already has several projects lined up for a year or more.

Timelord Iain | 14712 comments It took 3ish years for this book, so I'm not surprised... Belcher doesn't seem like the fastest writer.... more series == more time between books, but probably means no slumps... Authors that only write one series seem to struggle after awhile...

I'll be starting later today, I think... just need to finish Riyria Chronicles #4...

Timelord Iain | 14712 comments Finally starting... got sidetracked playing with the group spreadsheet yesterday, with Rob, Anni, and Virginie...

Timelord Iain | 14712 comments Starting chapter 6/7: A lot of action out the gate, like the first book, then a bunch of random oddness that doesn't make much sense, yet, but I'm sure it will... (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14712 comments All this "creepy clown sh!t" seems inspired by the clown sightings nationwide a summer or 2 ago... the ones people couldn't figure out if they were something to worry about, or a weird ad campaign for the new It remake...

Google search found a wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_cl...

message 18: by Timelord Iain (last edited Dec 06, 2018 04:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Timelord Iain | 14712 comments Chapter 9: (view spoiler)

End of chapter 9: (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14712 comments Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nfah Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Can't believe this was incorporated into the story, lol... must not have been paying attention in the first book, that it was the real thing, and not a knockoff...

message 20: by Soo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3553 comments hehehehe =)

Timelord Iain | 14712 comments I'm on chapter 16 now... this is kinda reminding me of Women of the Otherworld...

Not the plot... the way the first book was largely standalone, and focused on a main story... and the second did a lot of worldbuilding for future stories, now that the series is a success... I'm sure, by the end, I'll be chomping at the bit for the 3rd book, like you are...

message 22: by Soo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3553 comments YUP!!! There's SO MUCH GOING ON!!!

Ahhhhhhhhhh

By now, you should be introduced to what I call the Stranger Things crew. =)

Ryan being the new kid.

Timelord Iain | 14712 comments Soo wrote: "YUP!!! There's SO MUCH GOING ON!!!

Ahhhhhhhhhh

By now, you should be introduced to what I call the Stranger Things crew. =)

Ryan being the new kid."

Yea... he's headed back into Clown Forest for the Harmonica...

message 24: by Soo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3553 comments That's a good part. =)

message 25: by Timelord Iain (last edited Dec 07, 2018 05:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Timelord Iain | 14712 comments Agreed...

Chapter 23-24: Seems like a safe assumption (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14712 comments Chapter 25: So... if Levina is a Roadwitch... does that make this new guy a Railwizard? :D

Also... I just realized that werewolf Biker Bitch is named Anna-Mae, and not Anime... lol...

Timelord Iain | 14712 comments Chapter 26: The Big Secret (view spoiler)

message 28: by Timelord Iain (last edited Dec 07, 2018 09:38AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Timelord Iain | 14712 comments Chapter 34-35: (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14712 comments Finished: (view spoiler)

message 30: by Soo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3553 comments I KNOW RIGHT?!?!?!? Now you understand how I felt when I finished the book.

It looks like the author has had a lot of personal life stuff going on that's affected his work and he already has other projects lined up. It's too bad that he didn't have a contract for a full series for Brotherhood of the Wheel at hand years ago but I am happy to see that he's going to be releasing new work in general.

BUT BUT BUT - MORE on this world -- RIGHT?!?!?

message 31: by Soo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3553 comments Did you see that there's talk about Brotherhood of the Wheel being made into a show?