Aussie Readers discussion

The Nowhere Child
This topic is about The Nowhere Child
Archives > December 2018-Final Thoughts-**spoilers allowed**-The Nowhere Child

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Phrynne | 11313 comments Mod
Final thoughts (and reviews if you like) on The Nowhere Child by Christian White The Nowhere Child by Christian White

Brooke - One Woman's Brief Book Reviews (onewomansbbr) | 376 comments I read this book back in July and thought it was excellent. I even went and purchased a copy after returning the library one.
5 stars for me!

Can see my full review here - https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 3: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brenda | 69296 comments Mod
Great review Brooke!

Marianne (cloggiedownunder) | 8139 comments https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

An impressive debut. I really thought that Kim was a bit hasty flying off to USA without talking to Dean, but I guess if she had, there wouldn’t have been a story. But I did need a bit more anger from her at that point to believe she’d rush off without talking to him. And I didn’t appreciate the impulsive visit ALONE to Dale Creech, why do authors always have women doing this, stepping into danger and needing to be rescued. I guess I forgave that because I never even considered Dean as Patrick until a long way in, so yes I liked the twists and red herrings. Speaking of red herrings, p257 talking about the ex-vet at the grist mill, he seems to have 2 names in my copy (which is not an ARC) John Regler and Welt. Anyone else find this? I notice when I search that on Google books preview, it’s been fixed. I also loved the image of the memory with the string around it.

Carolyn | 7941 comments I enjoyed this very much - it was very atmospheric. (I will probably have nightmares about snakes for months.) I also felt Kim rushed off to Kentucky a bit prematurely when she knew that Dean knew something he wasn't telling her. Maybe he wouldn''t have told her much of the truth - but she didn't give him a chance. I'm puzzled as to why he risked following Kim to to Kentucky where he ran the risk of being recognised and arrested. Maybe he thought the truth would out eventually?

Marianne (cloggiedownunder) | 8139 comments He had promised he would look after her and he may have thought she would be in danger poking around waking up sleeping dogs?

Andrea | 1605 comments I was really impressed with this one, although I found it difficult to read the confrontation scene - had to keep putting it down.

I suppose in terms of the resolution, I'd been so surprised by the possibility of Carol being Becky, that when the clues about Dean started surfacing, it didn't really surprise me that much.

I felt uncomfortable about the Molly character. I guess what she went through when Sammy was little was a combination of postnatal depression and religious fervour, and I don't know much about either, but her ambivalence when Kim went to visit didn't sit well with me.

Kerri_M | 389 comments Just finished The Nowhere Child and its 3.5 stars from me. I spent most of the book being annoyed with Sammy/Kim being so passive about everything. Her brother pinches her DNA then dumps everything over her without really caring about how she is feeling, her sister sells her out to the media, her mother denies who she is, and no reaction. Made it difficult for me to care about her, felt more sorry for Dean.

But I really liked the imagery of the lost Sammy with the red string, that was the best part of the book for me and got the extra half star

message 9: by Sharpay (new) - added it

Sharpay | 10 comments Well I finished this yesterday and I was totally surprised that Dean was Patrick. Although it made total sense and I had never really thought Kim's mother Carol would be in any way involved. It frustrated me a bit that it was so quickly assumed Carol must have stolen Sammy all those years ago when so much was unknown and there could have been so many other possibilities for what happened.

It was hard to feel much empathy or warmth for some of the characters. Like at first I felt greatly for Jack Went, but then his treatment of Travis made me so angry and I couldn't reconcile what he did. Although apparently Travis could.

I otherwise enjoyed this as the suspense definitely kept me turning the pages. I thought the story telling, alternating between the past and present was an interesting way to allow the story to unfold. I echo others thoughts that Kim was all to passive in how she accepted things, rather than screaming and demanding answers. But I guess that wouldn't have made for a good story.

message 10: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

What did you rate it Carmen?

message 11: by Sharpay (new) - added it

Sharpay | 10 comments Brenda wrote: "What did you rate it Carmen?"
I think I'd give it a high 3 1/2 stars? I didn't like all the characters, and some were confusing to me. But the elements of the fundamentalist church and the crimes committed in the name of religion certainly gave the book an interesting if perverse depth. It was a page turner for me.

message 12: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Good to hear :)

Kylie D | 740 comments I really enjoyed this book and rated it 4 stars. It didn't get a 5 as I found it hard to swallow that Patrick and Becky both disappear so soon after Sammy is taken and nobody bothered to investigate them? Nobody missed them? Other than that the look into small minded American religious zealots was interesting, and no, I had no idea what had happened to Sammy!

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 14: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Phrynne | 11313 comments Mod
Here I am sneaking it in on the last day!!!! I enjoyed it very much although I agree with all the points everyone has raised. I was especially bothered by Dean arriving in the town where he grew up and apparently not being aware that people would recognise him! I felt it was a shame because he had turned out to be a good guy after his poor start in life! Still a very good read!

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 15: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Glad you enjoyed it Phrynne :)