Retro Reads discussion

The Greatest Gift: A Christmas Tale
This topic is about The Greatest Gift
Group Reads > Dec. 22-28, 2018: "The Greatest Gift"

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽, Moderator (last edited Dec 21, 2018 11:38AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 1179 comments Mod
Dec. 22-28: "The Greatest Gift" by Philip Van Doren Stern

Free online at: https://www.tor.com/2008/12/25/the-gr...

Please tag spoilers!

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 1512 comments Mod
I'll mention that the Tor version is full of typos! But even so what a sweet heartwarming story.

How close is it to "It's a Wonderful Life?

Peggy (dandelion_cottage) | 263 comments I’ve seen the James Stewart version of IAWL many times (I like it, but don’t love it as much as most people do). Today on TV I ran across the Marlo Thomas version. After comparing the two movies (the original is obviously better), it was fun to to read this story.

Carol, this is sort of the “bare bones” of the movie. More characters and situations were added to the script. But it definitely has the spirit of the film.

Peggy wrote: "I’ve seen the James Stewart version of IAWL many times (I like it, but don’t love it as much as most people do). Today on TV I ran across the Marlo Thomas version. After comparing the two movies (t..."

Hi Peggy!

I found the trailer for the movie on You Tube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewe4l...

Gave me a nice taste!

Peggy (dandelion_cottage) | 263 comments It looks as though the entire movie is available on YouTube (at least in the U.S.). It used to be in the public domain, but I don't think it is any more (Tadiana would know more about that than I would. :) )

Christmas Carol ꧁꧂ wrote: "Peggy wrote: "I’ve seen the James Stewart version of IAWL many times (I like it, but don’t love it as much as most people do). Today on TV I ran across the Marlo Thomas version. After comparing the..."

Peggy wrote: "It looks as though the entire movie is available on YouTube (at least in the U.S.). It used to be in the public domain, but I don't think it is any more (Tadiana would know more about that than I w..."

I can see it here as well (on You Tube) I may watch it tonight.

It's a wonderful movie. :)

message 8: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 1233 comments What a lovely Christmas story! I love the movie, but I’d never read this story.

Peggy wrote: "It looks as though the entire movie is available on YouTube (at least in the U.S.). It used to be in the public domain, but I don't think it is any more (Tadiana would know more about that than I w..."

The movie’s copyright wasn’t renewed in the 70s (under the old copyright laws that was required) so it was considered to be in the public domain for many years ... which led to it being shown on TV so often that this all-but-forgotten movie became very popular. When that happened, the movie’s studio owner started enforcing the copyright of the movie’s music and the underlying story. So basically they back-doored the copyright protection.

Here’s a well-written article on it that’s not too long: https://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2013/...

message 10: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 1233 comments Interesting- I didn’t know that about the movie not being a hit at first, and why it got so much air time for years!

message 11: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 190 comments How clever of Frank Capra to recognize the film potential of this wonderful story. I'm surprised it took so many years to gain the popularity that it enjoys today. Although it's a heartwarming family movie, it packs a very powerful anti-suicide message.