Retro Reads discussion

On Christmas Day in the Morning
This topic is about On Christmas Day in the Morning
Group Reads > Dec. 8-14, 2018: "On Christmas Day in the Morning"

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 1217 comments Mod
Dec. 8-14: "On Christmas Day in the Morning" by Grace S. Richmond.

Free online or download at Gutenberg: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/20187
Or download at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/140...

Please tag spoilers!

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 1574 comments Mod
This was so sweet & charming. & full of love.

The only thing I was wondering (view spoiler)

I’m with you, Carol. (view spoiler) I hate to say it, but that ruined the story for me, no matter how sweet it was in other ways. :/

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 351 comments I have to disagree with Carol and Tadiana, (view spoiler)

I thought this was a very sweet, family - based Christmas story of surprise. I liked it!

The one part that I did not like was (view spoiler)

And I always think of 'Grandmother' when I hear 'Nan'...

Good point about the romance, Critterbee! What struck me was how quickly Margaret (view spoiler). That part didn't really work for me either.

I've thought some more about the basic premise of this story based on your comment, but I still can't buy in. My mom is in her 80s and lonely too. But I would never dream (and she would never ask) for me to leave my husband and kids to spend Christmas with her. She'd be welcome to come visit us, though! (We wouldn't all fit in her house.) I did go up (without my family) to stay with her for her birthday, though. :)

message 6: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Moderator (last edited Dec 10, 2018 01:30PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

If I was married to one of the siblings I think I may not have bee thrilled about (view spoiler) But I just put my brain in neutral & enjoy the feels!

Edit: I just downloaded On Christmas Day in the Evening for next year!

How fun - I'll have to grab that one too, or at least read it online. :)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 351 comments Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ wrote: "Good point about the romance, Critterbee! What struck me was how quickly Margaret [spoilers removed]. That part didn't really work for me either.

I've thought some more about the basic premise of ..."

I agree with the strangeness of(view spoiler)

And I will die on my hill about (view spoiler)

The feels were on target with this one!

Barb in Maryland | 477 comments Just finished this and enjoyed it--all the feels!

I'm team Critterbee as regards Guy's plan and its execution. He said it was going to be only the one time ---so I did not find his idea objectionable or really unreasonable.

And, while I found Guy's romance worries sweet, I wasn't quite sure why they played a part in this story.

Samanta   (almacubana) | 61 comments I'm team Critterbee and Barb, too. One Christmas surely would not harm anyone, although I did think Guy might invite everybody. In the beginning it did feel odd, but the reaction of Oliver's wife made me favour Guy's idea. I just thought her a witch and Oliver a weakling. When he made his own decision, I really wanted to high-five him. :D :D

Nan's husband's reaction was also wonderful and seeing that I know how he feels I did feel sorry for him being left out, but, he was supportive so I'm sure he was ok with it.

LeahBethany | 3 comments I read the story this morning and really enjoyed it. It's amazing to me when an author can make you fall in love with the characters in such a short time. As y'all have all mentioned my only quibble would be (view spoiler)

Samanta   (almacubana) | 61 comments I think that putting Margaret into the story was done to make everybody happy at the end. The parents were thrilled with the surprise; the children loved that they made their parents happy but Guy, with all that he did, was still unhappy with that one, unresolved part of his life and thus could not enjoy himself thoroughly. His sister wanted to make him happy (or ease his suffering) and sped things up a bit. :)

Everyone has a happy ending. Plus, there's a sequel, so all the loose ends had to be resolved.

Okay, this discussion is making me feel like a cold-hearted daughter, lol. But I'll bet if I ever suggested ditching my husband and kids to spend Christmas Eve and Christmas day at my parents without them, my husband would have a conniption. Even if it were a one-off. :)

*reminds self to never send mom a link to this story* <---- I'd never hear the end of it!

Same here.

Back when our parents were alive we used to have alternate Christmases at each parents' house. Bit of a nightmare when the kids were young keeping track of all the toys they were given.

My parents preferred the alternate years & having our full attention to the distracted rushing around and overtired kids.

So I ran this story’s premise by my husband last night and he was even more appalled than I thought he’d be, lol. He also reminded me that his parents at least have always been more interested in visiting with the grandchildren than their own adult children. His late dad used to call our kids “the important people.”

I will say that I wouldn’t say the same thing about my own parents (I’m sure my mom would be thrilled to get all of her seven adult kids - yes, that’s right - to herself for Christmas), so it does depend on the grandparents. And I’m not saying those of you who disagree with me and love this story are wrong. It’s interesting to discuss our different viewpoints and opinions. 😊

message 16: by Barb in Maryland (new)

Barb in Maryland | 477 comments Oh, your husband's response is priceless!
It is always interesting to see different writers tackle the idea of a family Christmas. And then to see how different readers react to the same story!
This one was fun--especially on the differing reader opinions front.

message 17: by Critterbee❇ (last edited Dec 12, 2018 07:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 351 comments IT is always interesting to see how the same collection of words is felt differently by everyone!

I do have some guilt perhaps about being away for so many holidays when I was living away from the US, and that def skews my view of the situation.

message 18: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 194 comments I agree it is totally unrealistic to expect families to be split up at Christmas, BUT as a parent (and no matter how much I love my sons-in-law and my grandchildren) there is still something appealing about the concept of returning to your own nuclear family for just one day. And from the adult children's point of view, it must have made them all feel like kids again to be opening their stockings and spending time with their siblings and parents on Christmas Day, without worrying about their spouses and children.

I think you've nailed it, Elinor. Those are exactly the feelings this story was intended to evoke.