Retro Reads discussion

The Tailor of Gloucester (The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit)
This topic is about The Tailor of Gloucester
Group Reads > Dec. 1-7, 2018: "The Tailor of Gloucester"

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 1184 comments Mod
Discussion thread for Dec. 1-7 short story group read: "The Tailor of Gloucester" by Beatrix Potter.

Free online or to download at Project Gutenberg: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/14868
Beatrix Potter's illustrations are lovely!

There will only be this one thread, so please tag your spoilers.

Barb in Maryland | 470 comments I got a head start--so charming! And the illustrations are wonderful, of course.
And Simpkin! What a cat--just love him!

message 3: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 1233 comments Yes, as soon as I opened it in kindle and saw the illustrations (thanks for the heads-up, Tadiana, so I knew to choose “with illustrations” on Gutenberg site), I sighed with pleasure...Beatrix Potter’s illustrations just make you smile!

Bobbie | 88 comments A beautiful little tale and the illustrations are priceless. Thanks for picking this for us, Tadiana.

I've read almost all of Beatrix Potter's stories over the years, and this one has always been one of my very favorites.

NO MORE TWIST!

Peggy (dandelion_cottage) | 264 comments I love that the epigraph is from Richard III (even though of course I don’t believe in Shakespeare’s version of Richard. 😊)

message 7: by Hana (new)

Hana | 1104 comments Mod
I'm a Beatrix Potter fan and this is my all-time favorite. I think it was one of her favorites as well. So glad we're re-reading this!

message 8: by Hana (new)

Hana | 1104 comments Mod
The picture of Simpkin checking under all the teacups always cracks me up!

I want to know where all of the mouse songs came from. Traditional? Did Beatrix make them up?

I may have to go on a Google dive.

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 332 comments I have this book on kindle. I’ll join in. I’ll start later today. :)

I read it this morning. So delightful how Beatrix Potter weaves together legends (animals speaking on Christmas Eve, mice acting like little elves) and the spirit of Christmas!

This story of the tailor also has some basis in fact, per Wikipedia: in Potter's day some apprentices surprised a tailor by finishing a major project overnight. The tailor liked to say it was the fairies who did it. :)

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 332 comments Awwwwweeee! I’ll love it. I have a little time to read right now before dinner. I’m gonna start it. What a perfect little holiday read.

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 332 comments What are lappets, paduasoy?

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 332 comments So cute. Oh and periwigs?

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 332 comments Little mouse staircases! Awwwwee!

message 16: by Barb in Maryland (last edited Dec 01, 2018 02:05PM) (new)

Barb in Maryland | 470 comments Enchantress debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister wrote: "What are lappets, paduasoy?"

Paduasoy=peau de soie= satin (which is a twill weave) fabric made from silk yarn; especially a fabric that is heavy in weight and almost grosgrain in appearance/texture.

Lappets--decorative flaps. In this case, I'm thinking a flap to give the impression there was a pocket when no such pocket existed.

Gotta love Google!

message 17: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 1233 comments Sweet story, and I love the illustrations- it seems familiar, when my son was born we received a Beatrix Potter nursery storybook, it may have been in that collection. We so enjoyed that book, and the illustrations!

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 332 comments Well, how cute was that!?

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 332 comments I am so glad we read this. I enjoyed it quite a lot. those sweet little mice. :-)

Thanks for the info, Barb!

I looked up most of the rhymes that the mice sing and they really are traditional British nursery rhymes, obscure ones now. Beatrix Potter softened a couple of them. :) I’ll try to post examples tomorrow.

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 350 comments OK, so I just went to Project Gutenberg for this, and they have audio items on the site! There is an audio version of "Great Big Treasury of Beatrix Potter by Beatrix Potter" - how did I not know they have audio?

Have not listened, so cannot comment on audio or narration quality, but wow!

Link: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/20049

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 350 comments "In the time of swords and periwigs and full-skirted coats with flowered lappets—when gentlemen wore ruffles, and gold-laced waistcoats of paduasoy and taffeta—there lived a tailor in Gloucester."

Love it already - how beautiful an opening line!

message 23: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 1233 comments Critterbee❇ wrote: "OK, so I just went to Project Gutenberg for this, and they have audio items on the site! There is an audio version of "Great Big Treasury of Beatrix Potter by Beatrix Potter" - how did I not know t..."

Thank you!

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 350 comments That was a nice, sweet read. I don't think I have read any of Beatrix Potter's books before this one. There is something in the rhythm of the sentences (lyrics, really) that is very pleasing and cheering.

message 25: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 1233 comments Critterbee❇ wrote: "That was a nice, sweet read. I don't think I have read any of Beatrix Potter's books before this one. There is something in the rhythm of the sentences (lyrics, really) that is very pleasing and ch..."

Yes, and the illustrations are delightful- a treat for kids and adults!

message 26: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 190 comments I haven't read Beatrix Potter for many years. This was just a delight. Her language is musical, and the idea of mice sewing tiny perfect stitches to help out the tailor was an inspired idea for a Christmas story. I agree, the opening line is just beautiful. And the illustrations! I want to frame them and hang them in my office!

Critterbee❇ wrote: "That was a nice, sweet read. I don't think I have read any of Beatrix Potter's books before this one. There is something in the rhythm of the sentences (lyrics, really) that is very pleasing and ch..."

If you've never read Beatrix Potter before you need to check out a few of her others. I'm sure they're all on Gutenberg and elsewhere for free. The Tale of Peter Rabbit, of course, which started it all. And I remember being particularly fond of the Tale of Benjamin Bunny. Any others you'd especially recommend, ladies?

Her paintings are so delightful! And the stories just have an old-fashioned charm.

We used to have a little box with small books of, IIRC, twenty-four of her stories. Maybe 4x6 inches in size? My kids and I loved them, even though they were rather small for little hands, and you couldn't appreciate the illustrations as much because they were tiny.

LeahBethany | 3 comments Thank you for recommending this sweet story! I read it this morning and it was like stepping back into my childhood (even though this was my first Beatrix Potter story!). A touch of fantasy, a bit of Christmas - it was the perfect holiday mix!

LeahBethany wrote: "Thank you for recommending this sweet story! I read it this morning and it was like stepping back into my childhood (even though this was my first Beatrix Potter story!). A touch of fantasy, a bit ..."

That makes me happy to read! :)

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 332 comments It was sweet. I’m glad we read it. :)

message 31: by Hana (new)

Hana | 1104 comments Mod
Just charming! All the little mice in their finery set free from the teacups! I also liked it that Simpkin-cat got a redemptive moment and gave the tailor the twist he had hidden in the teapot--just in time to finish the last buttonhole. :)

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 332 comments Agreed, Hana. ;)