Around the World in 80 Books discussion

Personal Lists > Cheryl's Russian Literature Challenge

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheryl (last edited Dec 31, 2018 06:34PM) (new)

Cheryl | 856 comments I want to start reading more Russian literature and will log what I read here. Among other works, I will aim to read or reread the books on QwikLit's 20 Great Russian Novels You Should Read Right Now

message 2: by Cheryl (last edited Nov 23, 2020 05:40PM) (new)

Cheryl | 856 comments Summary of Russian Literature Read

Books listed in the following format:
Title by Author (First Publication Date), Year Read
*=read before I started this log.

Eugene Onegin by Alexander Pushkin (1837), 2018
A Hero of Our Time by Mikhail Lermontov (1840), 2018
Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol (1842), 2018
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky (1866), 2003*, 2008*, 2019
Heart of a Dog by Mikhail Bulgakov (1925), 2019
Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak (1957), 2019
One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn (1962) 2014*, 2019
The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (1967), 2020
Cancer Ward by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn (1968), 2019
Pushkin Hills by Sergei Dovlatov (1983), 2020
The Suitcase by Sergei Dovlatov (1986), 2020
Omon Ra by Victor Pelevin (1992), 2020
The Big Green Tent by Lyudmila Ulitskaya (2010), 2019.

message 3: by Cheryl (last edited Dec 14, 2018 03:45AM) (new)

Cheryl | 856 comments Eugene Onegin by Alexander Pushkin. Translated by James E. Falen - review

message 4: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 2 comments I have read most of the books listed under the 20 Great Russian Novels you should read right now. I have read many of them in Russian and some in both Russian and English. Enjoy. I have a BA in Russian and lived in Russia on and off in the 1990s and part of 2000.

message 5: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 856 comments Stephanie wrote: "I have read most of the books listed under the 20 Great Russian Novels you should read right now. I have read many of them in Russian and some in both Russian and English. Enjoy. I have a BA in Rus..."

Hi Stephanie. I have read quite a lot of non-fiction about Russia but only a handful of Russian novels. I am looking forward to putting that right! How did you find reading these novels in the original Russian as compared to reading them in English?

message 6: by Cheryl (last edited Dec 14, 2018 03:45AM) (new)

Cheryl | 856 comments A Hero of Our Time by Mikhail Lermontov. Translated by Nicolas Pasternak Slater - review

message 7: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 856 comments Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol. Translated by Robert A. Maguire - review

message 8: by Cheryl (last edited Jan 26, 2019 03:50PM) (new)

Cheryl | 856 comments Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. Translated by Constance Garnett

message 9: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 856 comments Heart of a Dog by Mikhail Bulgakov. Translated by Mirra Ginsburg

message 10: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 856 comments Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak. Translated from the Russian by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky

message 11: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 856 comments The Big Green Tent by Lyudmila Ulitskaya. Translated from the Russian by Bela Shayevich

message 12: by Jovan (new)

Jovan (iovan) | 161 comments I just came from local park, across the Danubewere I have finished "Fathers and Sons". Previously this summer, whilst walking the dog near the Danube, I read Captain‚s daughter and Ljermontov‚s Hero.
Next is probably Braća Karamazov in Serbian translation all.
Sneak preview:
"... in Heidelburg young Russian students at first amaze their naive German professors with unique look at things, but latter do the same by total disregard for work and apsolute laziness."
Happy reading

message 13: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 856 comments Jovan wrote: "I just came from local park, across the Danubewere I have finished "Fathers and Sons". Previously this summer, whilst walking the dog near the Danube, I read Captain‚s daughter and Ljermontov‚s Her..."

'Fathers and Sons' is on my 'to read' list. Did you enjoy it?

Happy reading to you too Jovan!

message 14: by Jovan (new)

Jovan (iovan) | 161 comments It is good insight in Russian society of that epoch, but from same writer slightly interested, in my opinion, is "Sketches of Hunter Diaries", or how it is translated to American.
Liitle joke

message 15: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 856 comments Jovan wrote: "It is good insight in Russian society of that epoch, but from same writer slightly interested, in my opinion, is "Sketches of Hunter Diaries", or how it is translated to American.
Liitle joke"

Thank you for your thoughts on this author's books!

message 16: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 856 comments Cancer Ward by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Translated from the Russian by Nicholas Bethell and David Burg

message 17: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 856 comments One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Translated from the Russian by H. T. Willetts

message 18: by Elena (new)

Elena Akgül | 4 comments One of my favorite classics in Russian literature - Woe from Wit by Griboyedov
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9...

An amazing poem by Lermontov - Demon
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

A collection of short stories by Pushkin called Tales of Belkin
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...

message 19: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 856 comments Elena wrote: "One of my favorite classics in Russian literature - Woe from Wit by Griboyedov
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9...

An amazing poem by Lermontov - Demon
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show..."

Thank you for your comment, Elena!

message 20: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 856 comments Omon Ra by Victor Pelevin
Translated from the Russian by Andrew Bromfield

message 21: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 856 comments The Suitcase by Sergei Dovlatov
Translated from the Russian by Antonina W. Bouis

message 22: by Agniesz_K (new)

Agniesz_K | 1 comments Hi, my favourite book of all time is actually a Russian novel 😊 The Master and Margarita

message 23: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 856 comments Agniesz_K wrote: "Hi, my favourite book of all time is actually a Russian novel 😊 The Master and Margarita"

Hi Agniesz. I really must read that soon!

message 24: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 856 comments Pushkin Hills by Sergei Dovlatov
Translated from the Russian by Katherine Dovlatov

message 25: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 856 comments The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov
Translated from the Russian by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky