The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Winter Challenge 2018 > 25.3 - Andy P's Task: Christmas in Japan

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Dec 01, 2018 11:53AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4997 comments Mod
25.3 Andy P.’s task: Christmas in Japan

Overall rules for this task:
1. No Book with a main page genre of Children’s or Kid’s may be used for this task
2. This is a two book task, You must read one book that satisfies the criteria for Book 1 and another that satisfies the criteria for Book 2
3. The total pages count for Book 1 plus Book 2 must exceed 500 pages (i.e 501 or higher)

We moved to Tokyo, Japan in the early 1980’s with our son and daughter. Our son was 8 at the time and had several concerns about the move. First, he had heard that the Japanese did not celebrate Christmas and the thought of no Christmas or presents was not in his game plan. Assured that we would celebrate Christmas as we had always done with a tree, presents etc. relieved him more than somewhat. His second concern was the availability of toy stores in Tokyo. Rumor had it that Toys R Us did not have an outlet in Tokyo, but, after a trip to Kiddieland,which was a four story structure that had only toys, AND sample ones you could play with, he got much happier.
Christmas comes but once a year and his only source of “income” were the dollar bills that came with the holiday cards sent by grandparents. Since he could only spend yen in Japan,
The Parental Exchange Bank was born. He could get his dollars exchanged for Yen provided he knew the correct exchange rate for dollars to yen for that day.
With this background you will, hopefully, understand this task.

Book 1. Read a book written by a single author whose initials (First, Middle if applicable, and Last) can be found in KIDDIELAND.

Book 2. Read a book that has a word in its TITLE (not subtitle) of at least 4 letters that can be made from the letters in EXCHANGERATE. The word CANNOT be found intact in EXCHANGERATE..

Examples of words that work: Chant, Gate, Cane, Exact.
Examples of words that don't work: Change, Anger, Hang, Rate.

message 2: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3588 comments Reserved

message 3: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3588 comments Reserved again

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4997 comments Mod
This thread is now open.

message 5: by Deborah (last edited Dec 01, 2018 12:22PM) (new)

Deborah | 1410 comments Can you please lock-in So You Want to Be a Wizard for no Children's genre on the main page please. Hoping to use it for option 1.

Hunter's Green option 2 (GREEN)

Thanks

message 6: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16415 comments Mod
Deborah wrote: "Can you please lock-in So You Want to Be a Wizard for no Children's genre on the main page please. Hoping to use it for option 1.
Thanks"

We don't lock in lack of childrens genres, either here or in the genre verification thread.

message 7: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1410 comments No problem, found a different book.

message 8: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 995 comments I love the background stories you tell with your tasks, Andy!

message 9: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3588 comments Brooke wrote: "I love the background stories you tell with your tasks, Andy!"

Thanks, Brooke,
I need to explain relevance to my crazy way of thinking.
Plus I enjoy making people laugh.
Andy

message 10: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3860 comments Want to be sure I understand ...

Option 2

A title word "RANGE" would work? exchANGERate ....
the letters are contiguous in the target phrase, but not in the same order.

message 11: by SandyL (new)

SandyL | 947 comments I have a similar question to Book Concierge - could I use the word "chance" in a title?

message 12: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3588 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Want to be sure I understand ...

Option 2

A title word "RANGE" would work? exchANGERate ....
the letters are contiguous in the target phrase, but not in the same order."

Yes range would work

message 13: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3588 comments SandyL wrote: "I have a similar question to Book Concierge - could I use the word "chance" in a title?"

Chance has 2 "C's" in it EXCHANGERATE has only one so no chance does not work

message 14: by SandyL (new)

SandyL | 947 comments Andy wrote: "SandyL wrote: "I have a similar question to Book Concierge - could I use the word "chance" in a title?"

Chance has 2 "C's" in it EXCHANGERATE has only one so no chance does not work"

Doh!! Thanks!