Year-long NaNo discussion

Nicki Chapelway > Here is There

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Here is the folder for the story I decided that I will be working on next. It's titled Here is There . It's another portal fantasy. I know it seems like I write a lot of portal fantasies, but I really don't! The majority of my ideas are actually high fantasies. For some reason the portal fantasies are just the ones that end up getting written?

So anyway, I'm super excited to be starting this story because I'm trying really hard to write something different from anything I've ever written before with this story (even if I have already written three portal fantasies...).

message 2: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Here's a rough synopsis that I cooked up. It'll probably get changed at some point while I'm writing it, but this is what I have so far ;P

Survive the school. Keep the rules. Break the rules. Get home.

Mary Rose is a revolutionary. Growing up in a dystopian country ruled by a tyrant, she has had to fight for everything she’s ever wanted. Survival, freedom, and love. But at long last it seems that her fighting is over, the rebellion has won and she is finally free to be with Zeke, the man she loves. Or at least that’s what she thinks until she’s attacked in the middle of the celebration by her doppelganger.

She wakes up to find herself trapped in an elite magic school in completely different world, one oppressed by the otherworldly Veln. This school has three simple rules, follow them and you survive. Don’t fail your tests, you leave either when you graduate or you die. Don’t anger the Veln teachers. And- whatever you do- don’t enter the labyrinth that surrounds the ancient school. If you enter the labyrinth you will never return.

Except Mary Rose has no magic and no way to pass the tests on her own, and she has no intention of allowing herself to be enslaved again. Instead she joins forces with Nikolai, a supposedly crazy human prince and student of the school. He will help her pass as a student until she can find a way to get back home and in return she will teach him how to lead a successful rebellion. Except, the labyrinth appears to be the only key to her returning home— if it doesn’t kill her first. As she grows closer to Nikolai and the world hinges on the brink of rebellion, the choice becomes harder and harder to make. If she enters the labyrinth she could return home, or she could die. But one thing is certain. She will never be able to return.

message 3: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments I LOVE THIS SO MUUUUUCH

message 4: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments R.F. Gammon wrote: "I LOVE THIS SO MUUUUUCH"

Eeep! I'm so glad that you do! I can't wait to work on it, it might just be crazier than A Certain Sort of Madness. I'M SO EXCITED!!!

message 5: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments SHINE wrote: "AWESOME! I LOVE IT ALREADY!"

YAY! I'M SO GLAD!!! :D

message 6: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Also, since I forgot to add it, here is the Pinterest Board: https://www.pinterest.com/nickichapel...

message 7: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 457 comments *Ears perk up* A LABYRINTH!!! I'm there!

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Wow.... Nicki.... sounds like another one of your amazing writings!! ;) 😊

message 9: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Grace wrote: "*Ears perk up* A LABYRINTH!!! I'm there!"

:D I was trying to figure out what was a setting that I'd never done before and I really wanted to write something with a labyrinth and somehow I fit it into this story XD

message 10: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: "Wow.... Nicki.... sounds like another one of your amazing writings!! ;) 😊"

Thanks! Hopefully it will be, I don't have high expectations to write this quickly *is way too busy* but a hundred words here and there (see what I did there?) XD

message 11: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments 12/10/18- 277 words.

Here's the first paragraph...

Today is a day that will go down in history. Considering what a momentous occasion this is, I’m beginning to think that I should have worn something nicer. Unfortunately, I don’t actually have anything nicer than my tank top and jacket and cargo pants to wear. That’s one of the problem with having given everything when you fight in a war. You don’t have nice clothes when the war ends.

message 12: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Ha... well your still gonna get it done one way or another... and yes I did... that's hilarious. 😂 xD

Yeah... you know I don't think I would be considering my clothes all that important after a war... xD

message 13: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 457 comments Nicki wrote: "Grace wrote: "*Ears perk up* A LABYRINTH!!! I'm there!"

:D I was trying to figure out what was a setting that I'd never done before and I really wanted to write something with a labyrinth and some..."

Well, it sounds pretty awesome! And trying new things are always fun. I can only think of maybe two or three books which have labyrinths or mazes in them. So, I'm kinda excited about this. There's just so much that could happen in a labyrinth, so many dangerous things to put characters through. XD

Nicki wrote: "12/10/18- 277 words.

Here's the first paragraph...

Today is a day that will go down in history. Considering what a momentous occasion this is, I’m beginning to think that I should have worn somet..."

Hmmm, I don't know, her current clothing sounds like it would be pretty comfortable and practical after a war. But then, that's just me. Love it. XD

message 14: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: "Ha... well your still gonna get it done one way or another... and yes I did... that's hilarious. 😂 xD

Yeah... you know I don't think I would be considering my clothes all that important after a wa..."

Probably am, I'm stubborn like that XD

Not even during the celebration afterward?

message 15: by Nicki (last edited Dec 13, 2018 03:19PM) (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Grace wrote: "Nicki wrote: "Grace wrote: "*Ears perk up* A LABYRINTH!!! I'm there!"

:D I was trying to figure out what was a setting that I'd never done before and I really wanted to write something with a laby..."

Oh yeah sure, practical and comfortable was what she was going for, but this is the celebration, people are dancing in the streets, she's hanging out with her boyfriend, and she's dressed like she's still a guerrilla soldier. These are things one must consider *nods* Thanks!

message 16: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments SHINE wrote: "This sounds very INTENSE!"

Thanks! It probably will be...

message 17: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Ha.... xD I just mean ( you know ) that she's worried about her clothes right now . . . After losing everything!!? There'd be more important things on my mind....

message 18: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: "Ha.... xD I just mean ( you know ) that she's worried about her clothes right now . . . After losing everything!!? There'd be more important things on my mind...."

Oh no, Mary Rose hasn't lost everything, in her eyes, she's just won everything. Which is probably why her mind has turned to celebration :P

message 19: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 457 comments Nicki wrote: "Grace wrote: "Nicki wrote: "Grace wrote: "*Ears perk up* A LABYRINTH!!! I'm there!"

:D I was trying to figure out what was a setting that I'd never done before and I really wanted to write somethi..."

Well, putting it that way, then yes, she needs to have something to nice to wear.... GO FIND A DRESS MARY ROSE!!! XD

message 20: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Oh. . . Was is it like a revolution? xD.... guess she would have thought she gained something. Okay... find something nicer to wear.

message 21: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments Love the excerpt. XD

Skirts can be practical; shorter skirts (or long ones can be tied up so they're not in the way), with pockets or special folds to hold special sharp/explody things. Plus bandoliers, steel-toed boots (also with special pockets/straps for sharp/explody things), maybe a trench coat or jacket lined with more special things... :P

message 22: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments 12/16/18- 175 words.

message 23: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments *cheers*

message 24: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 457 comments You can do it Nicki! <3

message 25: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Grace wrote: "Nicki wrote: "Grace wrote: "Nicki wrote: "Grace wrote: "*Ears perk up* A LABYRINTH!!! I'm there!"

:D I was trying to figure out what was a setting that I'd never done before and I really wanted to..."

YEAH, MARY ROSE, GO FIND A DRESS!!!

P.s. she totally doesn't find a dress except

message 26: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: "Oh. . . Was is it like a revolution? xD.... guess she would have thought she gained something. Okay... find something nicer to wear."

Yeah, it was a revolution ;P

message 27: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Merenwen wrote: "Love the excerpt. XD

Skirts can be practical; shorter skirts (or long ones can be tied up so they're not in the way), with pockets or special folds to hold special sharp/explody things. Plus bando..."

Thank you ;P

Well, then. I think Mary Rose needs to get you as her outfit coordinator XD

message 28: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Grace wrote: "You can do it Nicki! <3"

Hannah Schuck wrote: "*cheers*"

Thanks guys! <3

message 29: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Ha... well that's a heads up. Okay .. revolution then. xD.... np Nicki! ;)

message 30: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: "Ha... well that's a heads up. Okay .. revolution then. xD.... np Nicki! ;)"

And it won so yay for them *smirks evilly*

message 31: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments 12/19/18- 405 words.

Here's an excerpt...

“Do you think I’m dressed all right?” I ask tilting my head and trying my darned best not to sound self conscious. Zeke has seen me broken and bloody. Compared to that, these clean cargo shorts probably seem like an evening gown.

message 32: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Nicki wrote: "12/19/18- 405 words.

Here's an excerpt...

“Do you think I’m dressed all right?” I ask tilting my head and trying my darned best not to sound self conscious. Zeke has seen me broken and bloody. Co..."

Ahahaha this is great

message 33: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 457 comments Nicki wrote: "12/19/18- 405 words.

Here's an excerpt...

“Do you think I’m dressed all right?” I ask tilting my head and trying my darned best not to sound self conscious. Zeke has seen me broken and bloody. Co..."

Love it. <3

message 34: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Oh.... why the evil smirk?

message 35: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments R.F. Gammon wrote: "Nicki wrote: "12/19/18- 405 words.

Here's an excerpt...

“Do you think I’m dressed all right?” I ask tilting my head and trying my darned best not to sound self conscious. Zeke has seen me broken ..."

XD

message 36: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Grace wrote: "Nicki wrote: "12/19/18- 405 words.

Here's an excerpt...

“Do you think I’m dressed all right?” I ask tilting my head and trying my darned best not to sound self conscious. Zeke has seen me broken ..."

I'm glad that you do! :D

message 37: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: "Oh.... why the evil smirk?"

Um... *coughs* no reason...

P.s. There's totally a reason because this is the beginning of a book and my characters are celebrating *laughs maniacally* They really should know better...

message 38: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments So, um... I may or may not have figured out what the second book is going to be about plus its title and haven't even finished chapter one *help*

message 39: by Grace (last edited Dec 23, 2018 12:46AM) (new)

Grace Morris | 457 comments Nicki wrote: "So, um... I may or may not have figured out what the second book is going to be about plus its title and haven't even finished chapter one *help*"

Well, Nicki, congrats! I think you are doing just fine girl. Soon you might even have a third book for this series figured out as well. *grins*

message 40: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Wow. *says dryly* Goes along with your smirk.

message 41: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments SHINE wrote: "The “Get Help” Crew-Squad at your service!"

Oh, thank goodness XD

message 42: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Grace wrote: "Nicki wrote: "So, um... I may or may not have figured out what the second book is going to be about plus its title and haven't even finished chapter one *help*"

Well, Nicki, congrats! I think you ..."

Thank you. Haha, maybe I will. Most stories I don't figure out the plot for the second book/series so early. I don't even have the sequel to League of Thieves yet and I've finished the first draft of the first book! So I'm very surprised to have figured this all.

message 43: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: "Wow. *says dryly* Goes along with your smirk."

*smirk widens* ;P

message 44: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments 12/26/18- 106 words.

message 45: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments ;) .... 😂

message 46: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 457 comments Nicki wrote: "Grace wrote: "Nicki wrote: "So, um... I may or may not have figured out what the second book is going to be about plus its title and haven't even finished chapter one *help*"

Well, Nicki, congrats..."

Just a sign that your mind is telling you to "Write it, write it!" lol

I'm sure you'll figure out the sequel to "League of Thieves" soon. *grins* I still need to finish reading its thread, haven't been online too much lately because of Christmas, but I should have it read soon.

message 47: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: ";) .... 😂"

;P ;P ;P

message 48: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Grace wrote: "Nicki wrote: "Grace wrote: "Nicki wrote: "So, um... I may or may not have figured out what the second book is going to be about plus its title and haven't even finished chapter one *help*"

Well, N..."

Yup, I suppose so ;P

I'm sure I will too. I did figure something out a while ago but then I forgot it so back to square one *grins* Haha, that thread is a trip down memory lane. It was the first thread I did in this group ;P

message 49: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Wonderful.... ( xD ) Don't you love when you lose your ideas!?

message 50: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 457 comments Nicki wrote: "Grace wrote: "Nicki wrote: "Grace wrote: "Nicki wrote: "So, um... I may or may not have figured out what the second book is going to be about plus its title and haven't even finished chapter one *h..."

Losing ideas is horrible!!! But once you get a new idea; it might even be better than the first.

That's so cool! I'm sure you have some fine memories of all the characters you tortured in that thread and umm, book. Lol. What little I got read of it so far, I was loving the Aladdin-like retelling I was seeing. :)

« previous 1