Never too Late to Read Classics discussion

Archive YA/Children Group Read > 2018 December - Letters from Father Christmas

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Rosemarie | 8756 comments Mod
This book was written by J.R.R. Tolkien, who wrote The Lord of the Rings and many other wonderful books.

I am on hold for this book at the library and I do hope I get it before Christmas.

message 2: by Samantha, Cajun Literary Belle (new)

Samantha (cajunliterarybelle) | 2487 comments Mod
I bought an ebook copy of this for my kindle already a couple weeks ago. I just haven’t started it yet. I also bought a paperback copy of it to send to a friend for Christmas. The book is coming from the UK and taking a while to get here. Almost 3 weeks have passed since I purchased it. Come on, snail mail!

message 3: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

I just checked my status at the library and I know I will not get it before Christmas. There is only one copy and I am hold # 7.

I hope all of you enjoy the book and share your comments with us.
Our other book is available as a free ebook.

message 4: by Samantha, Cajun Literary Belle (new)

Oh, no! Rosemarie, I’m sorry to hear that. I purchased the physical copy for the gift off www.abebooks.com for just over $10. If you’re interested in owning the book, you could check there. Last I saw, the bookseller Book Depository in the UK still had almost a dozen copies through AbeBooks. The ebook version I got for my kindle was I think $4 on Amazon. If you decide to check into AbeBooks, I’d like to think you’d get a delivery faster from the UK in Canada than it’s taking me to get one in Louisiana. For those curious, I checked B&N. I think the lowest price I saw there was ~$25, and Amazon physical copy was not much better.

message 5: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Thanks for info, Samantha. I will have to live without reading this book, but then I do have so many other books to read(already on my shelf) I am sure I will survive. 😉
I am going to read one of my favourite Christmas stories, The Story of the Other Wise Man by Henry Van Dyke instead. I already have a copy of the book.

message 6: by Rafael, Brazilian Master of the Bookshelf! (new)

Rafael da Silva (morfindel) | 539 comments Mod
I read it many years ago, I don't remember very well the stories but I enjoyed when I read it. It is Tolkien, anyway.

message 7: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 828 comments Rosemarie wrote: "Thanks for info, Samantha. I will have to live without reading this book, but then I do have so many other books to read(already on my shelf) I am sure I will survive. 😉
I am going to read one of m..."

Thank you for the recommendation, Rosemarie - I haven’t read this book, so have just got a copy.

message 8: by Samantha, Cajun Literary Belle (new)

3.5 weeks later and this book finally arrived in the mailbox today! It’s so beautiful I almost don’t want to send it away. I could always purchase my own sooner or later.

message 9: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

That is good news, Samantha.
I hope you enjoy it, Trisha.

message 10: by Gem (new)

Gem  | 159 comments I have a copy of this book in an epub format that I am more than willing to share if anyone would like. I'm going to start reading this one within a day or two.