Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Tyrant's Throne (Greatcoats, #4)
This topic is about Tyrant's Throne
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Tyrant's Throne [Feb 28, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3517 comments Mod
Buddy read starts 28th February.

Shae | 372 comments In :-)

Andrew | 652 comments In like Flynn.

Brian | 891 comments In

Shae | 372 comments Oh yay you guys, glad we're all doing this one too :-)

Brian | 891 comments I am dying to start this one early.

Andrew | 652 comments Yeah...so I stealthily started this a week or so ago and just finished yesterday...don't be mad!

Brian | 891 comments Haha! How was it!

Narilka | 2489 comments I'm mad. You didn't post thoughts for us to open later!

message 11: by Shae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae | 372 comments Lol :-) Yes, spill your thoughts about this one!

Andrew | 652 comments Ha! Well, much like last time, I'll keep my thoughts very general. Nothing here is an actual spoiler, but I'm still going to mark it that way in case someone doesn't want to know my impressions of the book until after they're done, too.

(view spoiler)

message 13: by Shae (last edited Mar 02, 2019 11:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae | 372 comments I'm so ready to start this :-)

message 14: by Shae (last edited Mar 02, 2019 11:53PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae | 372 comments Up to chapter 20 - it's fun to be back with the Holy Trinity of Preposterous Heroics :-)

So far: (view spoiler)

message 15: by Shae (last edited Mar 11, 2019 02:30AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae | 372 comments Up to chapter 43 - gosh, the reveals are flying thick and fast!

To recap: (view spoiler)

Some good twists! Looking forward to finding out where it's all going :-)

message 16: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Haha, I only finished Chapter 4, I was a little confused by the beginning and what's going on there :D

Hailee | 2428 comments I'm going to have to kick myself into gear to get started on this!!

message 18: by Hailee (last edited Mar 10, 2019 09:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hailee | 2428 comments It's looking more and more likely that I'm going to have to miss this buddy read. I have a readathon starting at the beginning of April and I don't want too many books half finished come April 1st. I'm sad because it'll mean missing out on the buddy read points but needs must.

If anyone else is behind and wants to buddy read this at the beginning of April or even in May let me know :-)

message 19: by Shae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae | 372 comments Hailee wrote: "It's looking more and more likely that I'm going to have to miss this buddy read. I have a readathon starting at the beginning of April and I don't want too many books half finished come April 1st...."

No worries at all, completely understand - enjoy this book when you get there :-)

message 20: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Oh no Hailee :/ Even without it being a BR, you should still come and tell us what you think in April :)

I'm taking a break right now... (The “e“ Thing :D) But I'll continue on Thursday and hope to make good progress!

message 21: by Shae (last edited Mar 11, 2019 02:38AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae | 372 comments Finished :-) Oh the plotting and political machinations in the last part of the book!

Final summary: (view spoiler)

I enjoyed this installment - not quite as much as book 1 and 3, but almost!

@Andrew - my rating agrees with yours; 3.5 stars rounded up to 4 stars :-)

Andrew | 652 comments Glad you enjoyed it too, Shae! It was a very fun series. I will probably read the author's other series once he finishes it.

Andrew | 652 comments Oh forgot to mention, according to his website his other series is set in the same world, but on a different continent with other magical styles. Either series can be read alone, but it sounds like eventually there may be some tie-ins for fans that read all of his stuff. So kind of the Brandon Sanderson Cosmere approach, where technically everything is related but still able to stand on its own merits.

message 24: by Shae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae | 372 comments @Andrew - that does sound interesting, I would definitely be keen to check his other series out at some stage :-)

message 25: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5020 comments You two can join our Buddy read, should be in the same folder as this one, we start with Spellslinger this month :)

Andrew | 652 comments Anni, do you know when he plans on finishing the Spellslinger series? I don't want to start it until the final installment is about to be released. I already have too many open series to keep them all straight :)

message 27: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Yes, there are 6 books in the series and the last one will be out in October 2019, the Buddy Read Schedule is one book a month, so we only need to wait 2-3 month for the last one to be published :)

Andrew | 652 comments Intriguing! We'll see. I may give it a go.

Brian | 891 comments I’m going to start that series this weekend. Going to miss ole Brasti so hopefully the series will join up at some point

Narilka | 2489 comments I should be finishing up my current read tonight which means I'll start Tyrant's Throne tomorrow.

message 31: by Shae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae | 372 comments @Anni - thanks for the info re Spellslinger :-) I'm very tempted! Just need to see if I can get through a couple of half finished books first :-)

message 32: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Shae wrote: "Up to chapter 20 - it's fun to be back with the Holy Trinity of Preposterous Heroics :-)

So far: de Castell's trademark banter continues to amuse me :-)"

Wow, you nearly wrote a whole summary 😅 It's really nice to be back with Falcio, Krest and Brasti :)

Chapter 21 (view spoiler)

message 33: by Shae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae | 372 comments Haha yes, sorry about the essay's :-) I've got a few books on the go and was having trouble keeping all the story lines straight, hence the copious note taking, lol :-)

Narilka | 2489 comments I'm 5 chapters in and loved that whole reintroduction.

message 35: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Chapter 27 (view spoiler)

Andrew | 652 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Chapter 27 [spoilers removed]"

I totally agree. This is one of many examples of why I said "Most of the big reveals were extremely predictable" up in comment 12. I still really enjoyed the book, but a lot of the big reveals were spoiled by making the clues super obvious.

message 37: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Andrew wrote: "Sir Anni wrote: "Chapter 27 [spoilers removed]"

I totally agree. This is one of many examples of why I said "Most of the big reveals were extremely predictable" up in comment 12. I still really en..."

That's true, some of the "twists" were incredible obvious
Up to Chapter 66 (view spoiler)

Narilka | 2489 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Ch 21 [spoilers removed]..."

(view spoiler)

Narilka | 2489 comments Ch 36 (view spoiler)

Narilka | 2489 comments Ch 60 (view spoiler)

message 41: by Shae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae | 372 comments @Narilka - ah yes, that surprised me too, it was indeed well done :-)

Narilka | 2489 comments I finished. That was fun. I agree with Andrew on most of his points above. (view spoiler)

Right now I've rated it 4 stars. We'll see if that changes when I write up my review.

I will probably pick up his second series after he's finished writing it.

Narilka | 2489 comments Review posted: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I've kept the 4 stars.

message 44: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5020 comments I finished it as well :) I agree with what everyone else wrote, not as good as book 3, but a nice ending for this series.

In the last scene, I was a little scared (view spoiler)

Narilka | 2489 comments Sir Anni wrote: "I finished it as well :) I agree with what everyone else wrote, not as good as book 3, but a nice ending for this series.

In the last scene, I was a little scared [spoilers removed]"

Yeah that would've sucked! Glad it didn't happen :)