Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Age of Legend (The Legends of the First Empire, #4)
This topic is about Age of Legend
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Sullivan - Age of Legend [July 16, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3580 comments Mod
Buddy read 16th July.

message 2: by Virginie (new) - added it

Virginie | 5795 comments In in in!

message 3: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1613 comments Spot!

Timelord Iain | 17056 comments In in in!... Virginie stole my thunder :)

message 5: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
I'll finish Age of War before this so I'm in!

message 6: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Bumping this up since it's getting closer. I'm going to start on the release day.

message 7: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm so excited :) I already pre-ordered it on Audible.

message 8: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenna wrote: "I'm so excited :) I already pre-ordered it on Audible."

Same.

Timelord Iain | 17056 comments That book cover certainly feels unfortunate... I love the image... but the words blend in too much... green on green and white on light green...

The Audible cover is slightly better, except for the title again...

message 10: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Timelord Iain wrote: "That book cover certainly feels unfortunate... I love the image... but the words blend in too much... green on green and white on light green...

The Audible cover is slightly better, except for th..."

I like the feel of the cover, but you're right, the title doesn't really stand out from the background.

message 11: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Started yesterday. It has the slow roll feel of all MJS books.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments I'd like to join for this one. Been waiting forever for it.

Elena | 40 comments I’ve started a little early too and I’m at chapter 23 right now, so I’ll probably finish today. I’m enjoying it so far though it feels a bit slower.
I still don’t like Persephone although I’ve tried and it was a pleasant surprise for me that (view spoiler)

Also about chapter 12
(view spoiler)

message 14: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elena wrote: "I’ve started a little early too and I’m at chapter 23 right now, so I’ll probably finish today. I’m enjoying it so far though it feels a bit slower.
I still don’t like Persephone although I’ve trie..."

You're way ahead of me even though I started first. My reading time has been limited and where I own this one some library rentals with expiring loans have taken precedent.

Sarah | 494 comments Somehow I missed seeing this, but I'm in!
I'm only a little ways in.

Timelord Iain | 17056 comments I'll be starting this soon... tomorrowish...

message 17: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Timelord Iain wrote: "I'll be starting this soon... tomorrowish..."

Me as well. :)

Elena | 40 comments Scott wrote: "You're way ahead of me even though I started first. My reading time has been limited and where I own this one some library..."

That’s alright, I was just in a hurry because I want to finish re-reading the Red Rising series before Dark Age comes out.

message 19: by Elena (last edited Jul 17, 2019 11:34PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elena | 40 comments I finished and I have mixed feelings about this one. I didn’t enjoy it as much as I wanted to unfortunately.
(view spoiler)

Tammie | 4207 comments I'll be starting this soon. I'm behind on reading because we just put our house on the market.

Frank | 703 comments I have finished myself, it had a slow start.
But there were revelations, on several characters.
(view spoiler)

Frank | 703 comments Please ignore my last post, I was testing the spoiler, didn't want to create an issue.
(view spoiler)

Sarah | 494 comments I like Imaly. She's about the only one of the Fhrey that I like. They are just so arrogant. (But I do believe they are supposed to be.)

Her comment to Makareta was highly amusing (view spoiler)

message 24: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Three-quarters of the way in and nothing has happened. This better be one hell of a finish to bail it out.

message 25: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tammie wrote: "I'll be starting this soon. I'm behind on reading because we just put our house on the market."

Good luck. Always stressful.

message 26: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Finished. I definitely agree with what you said, Elena: (view spoiler)

message 27: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

I done. I gave this a VERY kind 3*'s.

message 28: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elena wrote: "I finished.."

Couldn't agree more and I'd take it a step further. The only good thing is this sets us up well for book 5.

message 29: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenna wrote: "Finished. I definitely agree with what you said, Elena: [spoilers removed]"

Your 4*'s was very kind IMO. I think if this was any other writer, or at least in a select few, the ratings would be lower. It's the same with some of Sanderson's books. His latest YA I give it a very kind 3*'s.

message 30: by Elena (last edited Jul 22, 2019 02:29PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elena | 40 comments Scott wrote: "I done. I gave this a VERY kind 3*'s."

I’m with you on that one! If it were another author I may have rated it lower. It also helped that I listened to the audiobook while I was reading and TGR is one of my favorites.

message 31: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Jul 22, 2019 04:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Scott wrote: "Jenna wrote: "Finished. I definitely agree with what you said, Elena: [spoilers removed]"

Your 4*'s was very kind IMO. I think if this was any other writer, or at least in a select few, the rating..."

It was a very very kind 4 that was heavily influenced by TGR (and also MJS being such a great and friendly author) rather than the story. I was debating back and forth between 3 and 4 and decided on 4 because despite nothing happening, I still enjoyed listening to it.

Tammie | 4207 comments I'm finally starting this tonight. Yikes, from reading your comments it looks like it's not as good as the others in the series.

Sarah | 494 comments Yeah, I'm about a quarter of way through and so far this is my least favorite book of his.

Its slow moving and just feels like nothing is happening.

But also yeah, TGR does a great job with the audio, as always!

message 34: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

I agree with others that TGR was a saving grace.

message 35: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenna wrote: "It was a very very kind 4 that was heavily influenced by TGR (and also MJS being such a great and friendly author) rather than the story. I was debating back and forth between 3 and 4 and decided on 4 because despite nothing happening, I still enjoyed listening to it..."

True he is a great guy.

Timelord Iain | 17056 comments Sad to hear, and I thought the first chapter was full of portentous discussion, but I assume nothing comes of it until the next book, maybe...

All this 3 star talk has me worried, now, but considering how everyone still seems to be reeling from the end of book 3, I can kinda see how this might play out... maybe MJS shouldn't have stretched the series from 4 books to 5 to now 6...

Timelord Iain | 17056 comments Chapter 2, and it seems like a lot of this book is going to be setup for the next books / conclusion...

Timelord Iain | 17056 comments Chapter 9 already... I'm kinda starting to dread this book... mostly because of what you guys hinted at, and the spoiler-free reviews I've seen in the past hour or 2... sounds like this book is more like the beginning of a two or three part story instead of relatively standalone like the first 3 were... if it wasn't going so easily, listening to TGR, I'd be tempted to put the book down and wait for the rest of the series to release...

Sad that MJS's hopes of releasing a book every 9 months never really happened... but maybe he was saving that for the ending, because right now it says book 5 is due out in February, and book 6 is due out next May...

message 39: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Damn. I didn't even know he had expanded it to 6 books. I figured the conclusion was coming in book 5 and then he would start the fall of the first empire series.

Timelord Iain | 17056 comments I'm on chapter 23 already... how is this possible?... I thought you guys were oversimplifying, but seriously... nearly 5hrs of audio at 2x speed, and all that's happened is that (view spoiler)... and I'm not even that mad...

And when did 5-7 YEARS pass?!?... I feel like the main events of the series spanned 1 year per book, because there were serious war deadlines, and now all of a sudden all this time has passed and everyone keeps talking about it...

message 41: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Timelord Iain wrote: "I'm on chapter 23 already... how is this possible?... I thought you guys were oversimplifying, but seriously... nearly 5hrs of audio at 2x speed, and all that's happened is that [spoilers removed]...."

I really wonder if his test readers are so enamored with him that they're not giving him good feedback any longer. This has a 4.38 rating and I have to imagine that's going to drop since all the hardcore fans have already read it.

Timelord Iain | 17056 comments Sarah wrote: "I like Imaly. She's about the only one of the Fhrey that I like. They are just so arrogant. (But I do believe they are supposed to be.)

Her comment to Makareta was highly amusing [spoilers removed]"

Mondulay is the worst... I don't understand how he can believe his own bullshit all the time... but I shouldn't be too surprised, given the ending of Riyria Revelations... (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 17056 comments I think I know where my confusion about the 5-7 years came from now... my audiobook chapters were jumbled... I only noticed when I reached the end of the story 6 chapters early... doubly frustrating, considering HOW MUCH of a cliffhanger it was...

After going back and paying closer attention to the chapter announcements, I found out that I read the book in this order:

1-2
11-20
21-30,
31-32 (end)
5-10 (about to listen)

Chapter 3 confused me a little (view spoiler)

Chapter 4 was even more jarring, tho (view spoiler)

I assumed the book was employing a weird dual timeline storytelling... also explains the jarring rush of the Suri storyline jumping from chapter 2 to 11... I just thought I'd forgotten some things from book 3 maybe... guess I'll see when I finish the missed chapters...

Timelord Iain | 17056 comments Having my chapters jumbled (cause I was in a hurry to add thru iTunes before work last week) really shifted my feelings about the book I think... missing chapters 3-10 until later in the book really exacerbated the nothing happening, since I jumped right from the 2 Malcolm chapters to the long drawn out journeys, and missed the battle, the 5-7 year time jump, and some of the character interactions... the very last chapter I read was the one with Brin and the river and the dress... probably wouldn't have been so sympathetic if I'd read that sooner...

message 45: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Scott wrote: "I really wonder if his test readers are so enamored with him that they're not giving him good feedback any longer. This has a 4.38 rating and I have to imagine that's going to drop since all the hardcore fans have already read it. "

This was the thought that also came to my mind after reading some of the reviews by people who got advance copies.

Sarah | 494 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Sarah wrote: "I like Imaly. She's about the only one of the Fhrey that I like. They are just so arrogant. (But I do believe they are supposed to be.)

Her comment to Makareta was highly amusing [sp..."

Right? When I realized who he was....I literally groaned because it meant I couldn't hope to see him "get it" during this series.

Elena | 40 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Mondulay is the worst... I don't understand how he can believe his own bullshit all the time... but I shouldn't be too surprised, given the ending of Riyria Revelations... [sp..."

Oh, no! I hadn’t made that connection!

message 48: by Tammie (last edited Jul 29, 2019 08:33AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tammie | 4207 comments I've reached part 3 now. I don't even remember how many chapters in that is, but so far the book is just ok. I'm not crazy about the time jumps, but they aren't bothering me as much as I thought they would.

On a funny side note- I can always tell who the audio book listeners are in this group by the way they spell the names. Mondulay threw me for a minute. 😂 That is a much simpler way to spell it for sure!

Sarah | 494 comments Tammie wrote: "I've reached part 3 now. I don't even remember how many chapters in that is, but so far the book is just ok. I'm not crazy about the time jumps, but they aren't bothering me as much as I thought th..."

Tammie wrote: "I've reached part 3 now. I don't even remember how many chapters in that is, but so far the book is just ok. I'm not crazy about the time jumps, but they aren't bothering me as much as I thought th..."

I go back and forth between audio and print, but I still couldn't spell his name if my life depended on it 😂😂 😂

Tammie | 4207 comments Chapter 12 (view spoiler)

« previous 1