Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Wild Country (The World of the Others, #2; The Others, #7)
This topic is about Wild Country
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Bishop - Wild Country [March 25, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new) - added it

Angela | 3555 comments Mod
Buddy read starts 25th March.

message 2: by Soo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments I'm in. =)

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments I love Anne Bishop... I've pretty much run out of things to read, other than the new releases...

message 4: by Soo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments You read all of the witch series?

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments Soo wrote: "You read all of the witch series?"

I haven't read Ephemera or Tir Alainn, or any of her contributions to anthologies... but I've read all 9 Black Jewels books, and the 6 Others books before this one... that's 2/3 of everything she's written, considering 6 books from those 2 series, and all the short stories are equal to less that 2 books, probably...

message 6: by Soo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments I need to finish up Ephemera. Black Jewels was better overall. I don't know which way I would go if I have to pick between Black Jewels & the Others. Heh

message 7: by Timelord Iain (last edited Nov 30, 2018 06:12AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments Soo wrote: "I need to finish up Ephemera. Black Jewels was better overall. I don't know which way I would go if I have to pick between Black Jewels & the Others. Heh"

Biggest complaint I've seen when comparing the two, is how similar they are... mostly because Bishop tends to write childlike women and big strong men to protect them...

Others is basically Black Jewels, without all the warped religious trappings that would turn some readers off of reading Black Jewels...

message 8: by Soo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments People can always make base comparisons but I the narrative & tone of the series are different. I think it also depends on which series you read first. I read Black Jewels when it first came out and followed the series as it developed. To me, the overall story for the Others is much more simple and not as complex as BJ. As for religious aspect, it's a series about witches. It's a bit weird to go into that one without being ok with that. lol

message 9: by Timelord Iain (last edited Nov 30, 2018 06:52AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments Soo wrote: "People can always make base comparisons but I the narrative & tone of the series are different. I think it also depends on which series you read first. I read Black Jewels when it first came out an..."

I meant more that the characters are named Daemon and Lucifer and Satan...

I read Other first, and followed it for a little while before jumping into Black Jewels to get a more immediate dose of Anne Bishop... and had already been inundated with comparisons... so it colored my perceptions a bit while reading... reading Black Jewels also prepared me for when Anne Bishop ended the story of Meg and moved on to side stories... it's what she did after the initial Black Jewels trilogy, after all... and me and Laura prefer the duology about the low-magic Shadow Queen of Shalador, anyway... we re-read those 2 when the mood struck, last March...

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments Listening to this on audio, about 10% - 15% in I think. (view spoiler)

message 11: by Loriidae (last edited Mar 25, 2019 04:32AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Loriidae | 297 comments Charlie wrote: "Listening to this on audio, about 10% - 15% in I think. So far I'm not loving it. I think it's because the story keeps flipping perspectives but I'm not sure what's going on.

There's too many ch..."

I and numerous others friends have felt exactly the same.

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments I just realized Soo read this 2 weeks ago, on or after her cruise... from what I remember, her and the cruise were why we scheduled this 3 weeks after release... oh well... I'll be starting in a minute...

Everyone over at GG&G seemed to rate this around 3 stars... the MC isn't as likeable as previous MCs, and other things... I didn't want to spoil myself too much...

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments @Loriidae I've felt that way during the last two Meg books too. All the jumping between intuit and simple life communities and back again was just too confusing. I ended up looking up a guide online of characters just so I could remember who was who. I also found it confusing in the last book that Monty and his brother go by like 3 names each.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments @Iain My issue with this so far is that there doesn't seem to be a main character. The perspective keeps flicking back and forth between lots of different characters, each getting a few minutes/ pages and then it changes again.

Tammie | 4107 comments I'll probably be starting this tonight.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments 16 chapters in - Still a bit confused as to what’s going on and who everyone is but it’s starting to come together.

(view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments Charlie wrote: "@Loriidae I've felt that way during the last two Meg books too. All the jumping between intuit and simple life communities and back again was just too confusing. I ended up looking up a guide onlin..."

Was it kaleigha's guide over at Wicked Scribes?... she writes crazy detailed character guides for her favorite UF/PNR series:

https://wickedscribes.wordpress.com/t...

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments Charlie wrote: "16 chapters in..."

(view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments I tried looking into what's next for the Otherverse, and Anne Bishop doesn't know if there'll be more books or not... next year she's publishing a new Black Jewels book, so we probably won't see more Others until at least 2021...

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments @Iain Yes, that's the guide I used, it's brilliant!

I really like (view spoiler)

That's a shame, I didn't really get a sense of completion from the last Meg/Simon book. I hope she doesn't give up on writing about lakeside before we get a decent ending to their story.

message 21: by Timelord Iain (last edited Mar 26, 2019 05:29AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments I'm around 80% after my work shift... I've actually enjoyed this alot... I think the audiobook helps, since each character has a distinct voice, and narrators get to use foreknowledge to tailor the voice to the POV shift before you might know as a reader...

Several moments have surprised laughs out of me: (view spoiler)

Pretty much the only thing I don't like about the book is Abigail... but there's plenty of other things to like...

My main complaint about Lake Silence was how childlike most female MC's in this series seem to be... and that's a similarity to most female MC's in Black Jewels as well...

It makes sense for the original MC of both series, but I felt the MC of Lake Silence being similar was a bit weird, as a divorcee if I remember correctly... at least here, the deputy and Barb read a bit more worldly (for the most part)...

@Charlie: I'm not sure Anne Bishop has any plans to go into further details about Meg & Simon's relationship... it seemed intentional that the series ended just as they were about to formalize their relationship...

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments I'll be so disappointed if there's no more Simon and Meg!

I agree about the female main characters being very childlike and naive. It worked with Meg because she was so sheltered but I'm hoping for more in this book.

Tammie | 4107 comments I'm in chapter 11. As usual with this series the Terra Indigene's observations of humans has me laughing out loud at times.. The multiple points of view aren't really bothering me. It seems like the book is focused on who is moving to Bennett, and kind of introducing them. Some of whom we've met before. I was actually hoping to read more about some of them back when they were introduced in other books.

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments To me, this book is about establishing and exploring the New Norm, where Terra Indigine and Elders take a more active role in human settlements...

I hope we get a couple more books, seeing more and more settlements adjust... keeping Terra Indigine separate just festered bigotry and stereotypes on both sides... altho the humans always spark a problem and then the Terra Indigine or Elders finish it with a quick curbstomp... I'm interested to see if the Terra Indigine can find the right equilibrium, to incorporate humans into their own packs without losing their other-ness (which is what Simon and others always worried about)

Tammie | 4107 comments Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "To me, this book is about establishing and exploring the New Norm, where Terra Indigine and Elders take a more active role in human settlements...

I hope we get a couple more books, seeing more an..."

I would like to see the same things.

Tammie | 4107 comments Charlie wrote: "16 chapters in - Still a bit confused as to what’s going on and who everyone is but it’s starting to come together."

I agree with you Charlie on all points.

Tammie | 4107 comments I finally finished this! Getting sick kind of derailed my reading a bit.

For the most part I enjoyed it, although it wasn't one of my favorites from the series. I liked all the characters except for Abigail and Dina, and of course the bad guys, but we knew how that would end.

My final thoughts:

(view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments I'm only about 60% through. I'm just not feeling the motivation to listen to this at the moment. I really wanted to love it but I'm just not. I still love the world, but I'm not connecting to this story. I really think it's all the POV changes. we don't get enough time with one character then it zips off to another perspective for a few minutes then it changes again.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments I'm still slogging through this, about 75% in I reckon. I am enjoying it, but nowhere near as much as the other books in the series, I still don't feel the connection. I think it's because there isn't a main character and none of the other characters have chapters long enough to really connect to them.

I usually really enjoy multiple perspectives in a book but in this book the perspective changes so quickly that I just get used to one character and after a few minutes we're off somewhere else. It's made the whole thing really hard to keep track of.

I'm so disappointed.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments Tammie wrote: "I finally finished this! Getting sick kind of derailed my reading a bit.

For the most part I enjoyed it, although it wasn't one of my favorites from the series. I liked all the characters except ..."

I'm finished! I agree that there was something missing. I did enjoy it, but it wasn't my favourite.