Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Storm Cursed (Mercy Thompson, #11)
This topic is about Storm Cursed
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Briggs - Storm Cursed [May 14, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited Dec 06, 2018 05:31PM) (new)

Angela | 3517 comments Mod
Buddy read 14th May.

message 3: by Soo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3692 comments Yay

Timelord Iain | 14902 comments In... I'm the weird one that liked Alpha & Omega more, and now just want her to hurry up and write the Moira book (blind with from A&O2), so I can see how that turns out...

message 5: by Soo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3692 comments Iain, sometimes you really like books to be predictable. =P
Ya like the story so you're totally cool with it doing that more or less for the whole series. I need mooooooore! I know. I'm demanding. Bwahahah

Timelord Iain | 14902 comments Soo wrote: "Iain, sometimes you really like books to be predictable. =P
Ya like the story so you're totally cool with it doing that more or less for the whole series. I need mooooooore! I know. I'm demanding...."

Sometimes predictable is nice... other times being surprised is nice...

message 7: by Tammie (last edited Nov 30, 2018 10:26AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tammie | 3890 comments I just saw on Patricia Briggs FB page that they moved the publication date for this to May 7.

Timelord Iain | 14902 comments Thanks... I'll push the BR to May 14th...

Elyse Cady | 1 comments I’m in. This is my first GR buddy read, so I will have to hope I can figure out how this works

message 10: by Ezgi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ezgi Sezer (ezgisezer) | 3 comments In!! Can't wait

message 11: by Veronica (new) - added it

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments Maybe I can squeeze in this BR. It's been so long since I read the last one, I'm not sure I remember what happened.

Loriidae | 248 comments Enjoying this one a lot more than last. The European one felt like a history lesson.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4432 comments I'm going to start this today, my copy has arrived in the post!

Timelord Iain | 14902 comments Started this morning... great to be back in the Tri-Cities, after the last 2 Alpha & Omega books and the previous Mercy Thompson book...

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4432 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Started this morning... great to be back in the Tri-Cities, after the last 2 Alpha & Omega books and the previous Mercy Thompson book..."

Ive been rereading the series (on audio) in preparation for this book, finishes yesterday so I'm all up to date. I really hope it meets my expectations.

Timelord Iain | 14902 comments Charlie wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "Started this morning... great to be back in the Tri-Cities, after the last 2 Alpha & Omega books and the previous Mercy Thompson book..."

Ive been rereading the series (on au..."

Reactions seem mixed... some people love this book, some think it's one of the worst in the series... best thing I heard is that this book clears up (retcons?) the scene from Burn Bright that implied Bran loved Mercy as MORE than a daughter when she was a child...

Tammie | 3890 comments I just started this morning. Still in chapter one. So far so good except I do wonder...(view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14902 comments Tammie wrote: "I just started this morning. Still in chapter one. So far so good except I do wonder...[spoilers removed]"

Stubbornness... basically...

message 19: by Tammie (last edited May 17, 2019 10:34AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tammie | 3890 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Tammie wrote: "I just started this morning. Still in chapter one. So far so good except I do wonder...[spoilers removed]"

Stubbornness... basically..."

You're probably right. (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4432 comments @Tammie I think Mercy likes to assert her independence in little ways, she probably likes that it'll annoy Adam.

@Iain I just finished Burn Bright so that is great in my mind. It was kind of icky to think that Bran was anything more than a father figure to Mercy.

I've just finished the first three chapters. What a start!

(view spoiler)

Snarktastic Sonja (snownsew) | 15 comments Tammie wrote: "I just started this morning. Still in chapter one. So far so good except I do wonder...[spoilers removed]"

Na, it isn't stubbornness . . . it is choice. I think she LIKES driving fixer uppers. And, the pride that comes with fixing.

Snarktastic Sonja (snownsew) | 15 comments PS - you can count me amongst the people that loved this one. It is definitely one of my favorites.

Tammie | 3890 comments Charlie wrote: "@Tammie I think Mercy likes to assert her independence in little ways, she probably likes that it'll annoy Adam.

@Iain I just finished Burn Bright so that is great in my mind. It was kind of icky ..."

I think that's it exactly.

Tammie | 3890 comments Snarktastic Sonja wrote: "Tammie wrote: "I just started this morning. Still in chapter one. So far so good except I do wonder...[spoilers removed]"

Na, it isn't stubbornness . . . it is choice. I think she LIKES driving fi..."

Yes that makes sense. I like fixing certain things up myself, just not cars. I like shiny new ones so it's hard to relate haha.

Timelord Iain | 14902 comments I was oversimplifying... I'm glad this one has so much Zee

Loriidae | 248 comments Finished (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4432 comments I'm up to chapter 9, freaking loving this!

(view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4432 comments Chapter 9 and 10 (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4432 comments Up to chapter 13 (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4432 comments I'm finished and I loved it, which it appears puts me in the minority. I really enjoyed the witches, I hope we have more dealings with them in future books.

@Loriidae I agree that (view spoiler)

Tammie | 3890 comments Finished. I really enjoyed this one.

(view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4432 comments @Tammie

RE Wulf (view spoiler)

Tammie | 3890 comments Charlie, I think you are right! it will be interesting to see what happens with that talent of Mercy's.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4432 comments I can't wait for the next book, I wonder how many there will be?

message 35: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7033 comments Mod
I read in a newsletter that she’s taking a break from Mercy and Anna and Charles for a while and working on expanding side characters’ stories in the same world to mix it up a little (rumor she may start with Christy). As i didn’t enjoy this one as much has her previous books, I’m looking forward to seeing her excited about what she’s working on again.

Timelord Iain | 14902 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "I read in a newsletter that she’s taking a break from Mercy and Anna and Charles for a while and working on expanding side characters’ stories in the same world to mix it up a little (rumor she may..."

I heard you guys saying this... then I saw Smoke Bitten listed for next year, and got confused...

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4432 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Niki Hawkes wrote: "I read in a newsletter that she’s taking a break from Mercy and Anna and Charles for a while and working on expanding side characters’ stories in the same world to mix it up a l..."

Do we know anything about this book apart from it's name? I can't seem to find anything here on GR.

message 38: by Timelord Iain (last edited May 22, 2019 08:15AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Timelord Iain | 14902 comments Charlie wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "Niki Hawkes wrote: "I read in a newsletter that she’s taking a break from Mercy and Anna and Charles for a while and working on expanding side characters’ stories in the same ..."

It's name and info was taken from http://www.patriciabriggs.com/books/ which lists it for 2020 and as part of the Mercy Thompson series... maybe it will be moved to a Mercy Thompson World subseries in the future... but the fact it follows the Mercy Thompson naming conventions makes that unlikely...

[Usually Elemental Word][Past Tense Action]

Moon Called
Blood Bound
Iron Kissed
Bone Crossed
Silver Borne
River Marked
Frost Burned
Night Broken
Silence Fallen
Storm Cursed
Smoke Bitten

By comparison, Alpha & Omega tends to use 2 word phrases that lean wolfy...

Cry Wolf
Hunting Ground
Fair Game
Dead Heat
Burn Bright (least fitting)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4432 comments That's great thanks Iain! I really hope it's another Mercy book but I'd be happy with anything in that world honestly.

message 40: by Tammie (last edited May 22, 2019 08:57AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tammie | 3890 comments I haven't heard anything about her taking a break other than an April Fools joke she made. I know the Christy thing was an April Fools joke.

Timelord Iain | 14902 comments Tammie wrote: "I haven't heard anything about her taking a break other than an April Fools joke she made. I know the Christy thing was an April Fools joke."

That makes more sense... I've never been much of a Christy fan... but she IS contracted to do a book about Moira the blind white witch in Seattle... and it seemed apropos, given how the witch situation played out here...

Timelord Iain | 14902 comments Now that I read it, it's hilarious:

Happy April Fools' Day

Announcement
By: Patty April 1, 2019

Dear People,

As you know, authors can burn out if they work on a series too long without a break, so I have decided to take a mental health break and put Mercy and Anna on the back burner. There are so many other people and places to explore in their world, and I'd like to try something a little more challenging.

Christy is a character to whom I've always felt drawn. She is complex and has deep down layers of vulnerability that I find very touching and compelling. And I feel that she has been underappreciated by readers -- and other characters alike. She has so many fine qualities that we haven't yet seen, and I'd love to help her change the world and grow as a person. I'm really looking forward to exploring her point of view.

Sincerely,

Patricia Briggs

Timelord Iain | 14902 comments While skimming the blog, which finally seems to be active again, after a long moratorium, following the loss of Mike Briggs, I found this:

A few readers have asked if Storm Cursed is the end of the series. Definitely not! Patty has plenty more stories planned in the Mercyverse...

Mercy #12 in 2020
Alpha and Omega #6 in 2021
Tom and Moira #1

Tammie | 3890 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Now that I read it, it's hilarious:

Happy April Fools' Day

Announcement
By: Patty April 1, 2019

Dear People,

As you know, authors can burn out if they work on a series too long without a brea..."

I thought she was serious at first when I read it on her FB page, and I was like WHAT? We don't want more of Christy. Then I remembered it was April Fools.

message 45: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

Haha I fell for it! I was actually thinking it might be a good idea for her to work on other things because this one felt a little stale to me. Oh well! That’s funny! I even had a dialogue with my bestie about it and we thought Christy was a weird choice.

message 46: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

I never remember it’s April Fools. I don’t have the patience for it, so I must block it out lol.

message 47: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aaaahhh - I saw the update on April 7th in this post recap email. No wonder it looked legit.

Timelord Iain | 14902 comments The whole elaborate online April Fools thing was cool for awhile, but I think it's been overdone at this point... worked best when it wasn't expected...

Tammie | 3890 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "Haha I fell for it! I was actually thinking it might be a good idea for her to work on other things because this one felt a little stale to me. Oh well! That’s funny! I even had a dialogue with my ..."

The idea of taking a break and focusing on other characters would be ok with me too. I wouldn't mind more story on some of them.

message 50: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

I think so too! I ate up every detail in that Shifting Shadows compilation and oddly love the side characters as much as the main ones. Briggs is so good at adding depth to her world, I’d pick up anything she writes. Even Christy haha.

« previous 1