Prize Readers discussion

Awards Roundup--Archive > 2018 NYTimes Notable Books

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bob (new)

Bob Lopez | 196 comments Mod
The NY Times released it's hundred notable books of the year. The Times article can be found here: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2....
The Goodreads list can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1....

November 29th, the NYTimes announced the 10 Best Books of the Year.

Fiction:
Asymmetry by Lisa Halliday
The Great Believers by Rebecca Makkai
The Perfect Nanny by Leila Slimani
There There by Tommy Orange
Washington Black by Esi Edugyan

Non-Fiction
American Prison: A Reporter's Undercover Journey into the Business of Punishment by Shane Bauer
Educated by Tara Westover
Frederick Douglass: Prophet of Freedom by David W. Blight
How to Change Your Mind: What the New Science of Psychedelics Teaches Us About Consciousness, Dying, Addiction, Depression, and Transcendence by Michael Pollan
Small Fry by Lisa Brennan-Jobs

message 2: by Karin (new)

Karin (8littlepaws) | 77 comments I have not read The Perfect Nanny, but I am seeing a LOT of backlash to its conclusion on this list.

I'm very excited to read Washington Black now, and the only book on the Non-fic side I've read is Educated, which I also loved.

I am asking for the Frederick Douglass for Christmas (And also These Truths: A History of the United States, hopefully Santa has a soft spot for history nerds) and I've been eyeing American Prison and the Pollan book.

Initially I had no interest in Small Fry, seeing as I could not care less about Apple or i-whatevers. But I am giving this a closer look now--has anyone here read it?

message 3: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 142 comments From this list I have read all of the fiction books except Asymmetry, which i do have and which I expect will be on a TOB shortlist, and will read it then.

I did like The Perfect Nanny once I got my reading rhythm with the book. I read it when it first came out and thought is looked at the relationship between the nanny, the parents, and the children.

I have not read any of the NF books but have or are interested in reading all except Small Fry.

Like Karin - just no interest in that book.

message 4: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 142 comments Karin wrote: "I have not read The Perfect Nanny, but I am seeing a LOT of backlash to its conclusion on this list.

I'm very excited to read Washington Black now, and the only book on the Non-fic side I've read..."

I hope Santa Claus brings all the books you desire!

message 5: by Sam (new)

Sam | 85 comments I just finished The Perfect Nanny. The novel is a surprise on the Times list but worth the read. I think the novel gets a little more criticism because people associate it with a thriller or crime genre.