Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

Non Interracial Book Discussions > Tomi Adeyemi vs. Nora Roberts: What's the verdict?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C.L. (new)

C.L. Donley | 10 comments So, Nora just dropped a book called "Of Blood and Bone," and the author of "Children of Blood and Bone" was not...havin' it. She posted her sentiments on twitter, and her followers instantly jumped into action.

https://twitter.com/tomi_adeyemi

Nora sounded off in her blog:
http://fallintothestory.com/mob-rule-...

Some people are saying Tomi was way out of pocket, some are not.

Having been in Tomi's exact shoes at least twice in the last month, I have my own opinions. While book idea/title theft is a real phenomenon, it's damn near impossible to prove and even if you could, there's very little that can be done about it unless we're talking word for word plagiarism.

What do you guys think?

Paganalexandria  | 4059 comments C.L. wrote: "So, Nora just dropped a book called "Of Blood and Bone," and the author of "Children of Blood and Bone" was not...havin' it. She posted her sentiments on twitter, and her followers instantly jumped..."

Isn't this going into the "cocky-gate" space? You can't complain about one author owning titles, then condemn another more popular author for having a similar title. Booklandia needs to keep the same energy.

message 3: by Tina (new)

Tina | 8 comments Naw, Tomi is in the dead wrong here. I know she is a new author but she is not NEW. She's is also not self pubbed without a team behind her. She is agented and her book is published by a traditional publishing house. Where are her people who should have set her right before she popped off?

You can't be a reader, a bibliophile and not know that there are a lot of books that are similarly titled to each other. Also the term 'blood and bone' is an old term. It isn't something she made up by herself. I'e seen that exact phrase used in sff/fantasy, paranormal, horror even in previous Nora Roberts novels. There are other works that pre-date both her and Nora Roberts with that title.

Also, Nora's title was in place before her book dropped. Nora's book is the second in a trilogy and the first one was released in Dec 17 with this one planned to be released next week all along. A little bit of research would have done Tomi a world of good, imo.

message 4: by Roslyn (new)

Roslyn | 249 comments I assume she doesn’t know who Nora Roberts is. Why on earth would someone with a 40 year career be biting off her? Just a really odd comment and unprofessional AF.

Paganalexandria  | 4059 comments Roslyn wrote: "I assume she doesn’t know who Nora Roberts is. Why on earth would someone with a 40 year career be biting off her? Just a really odd comment and unprofessional AF."

I agree.

Paganalexandria  | 4059 comments Tina wrote: "Naw, Tomi is in the dead wrong here. I know she is a new author but she is not NEW. She's is also not self pubbed without a team behind her. She is agented and her book is published by a traditiona..."

You are right, the term isn't so one of a kind, that it's worth taking it here.

message 7: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 7314 comments Mod
I agree with what Tina said. I think she's out of line and Nora Roberts would have no reason to rip off her title.

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 124 comments Given the nature of books and writing, let alone the extreme success of Nora Roberts, Tomi is in the wrong. But I also think that that this situation, like many others now, is a product of how toxic social media can be.

Once upon a time, this just wouldn't have happened as an offhand (possibly passive aggressive?) comment made out of ignorance (and TBH I'm a bit confused about Tomi's lack of knowledge of Nora Roberts, the prevalence of similar or identical book titles and the fact that she is an very intelligent woman) because the instant nature of worldwide communication just wasn't available to us.

But, whilst I do think Tomi is wrong, and Nora has taken the high road in her response, some of the comments Nora's fans have made about Tomi on her blog post are really uncalled for. So yet again, it shows how SM can be toxic as well as a great way of people worldwide coming together to communicate. I don't have a twitter account (for these such reasons) so I can't comment on anything said by Tomi's fans.

message 9: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 7314 comments Mod
Social media, especially fandoms can be highly toxic, kittykat. You're not wrong.

message 10: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Golden | 243 comments It's too sad really. These books are in two totally separate genres. I can't imagine an author not knowing that you can't copyright a title. It's tiresome, too, the way social media is being used to attack first and find out the truth later.