J K Reads [Book Club] discussion

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jane (new)

Jane Kelsey (jane_kelsey) | 49 comments Mod
November Illumicrate book readalong

message 2: by Charvi (new)

Charvi (notjustfiction) hi! have you all started?

Daniela - The Bookish Living (thebookishliving) | 15 comments I have! And I'm loving it

message 4: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria In Wonderland (alexandriainwonderland) | 11 comments I'm almost finished Chapter 5. This book definitely has my attention.

"Sometimes words are so much more difficult to form than fists."

Happy reading everyone.

message 5: by Claire (new)

Claire Just finished reading chapter 7 and I'm really enjoying it so far!

Chapter five is a really heartbreaking scene. I can't understand the mind-set of women who would do something like that to one of their own. It's impossibly sad.

I really like Mari! At first she came across as cruel and emotionless, but the further in we get the more we see that she's actually really nice and caring. I feel sorry for Prince Taro, too. He's obviously really trapped in the palace and escape seems such an impossibility. I hope everything turns out good for him.
Akita is possibly my favourite character so far, though. How cool is he? I love his back story!

Is everyone else enjoying the book, too? What's been your favourite scene or quote? I really like this one:

Sometimes words are so much more difficult to form than fists.

message 6: by Jane (new)

I am loving the book so far. I can see a lot of tragedy in all of these character's future, but oh my god I love it!

Mari is not only a badass, so far I see a complex character that can surprise us all.

I love all of the different POV's as well. I wanna learn a bit more about Akira as well, so far only one chapter with him in.

My fave quote is on page 5: I'm very sorry, but from this moment you're dead." I squealed!

message 7: by Jane (new)

Charvi wrote: "hi! have you all started?"

Yes, have you? Are you enjoying it? x

message 8: by Jane (new)

Alex wrote: "I'm almost finished Chapter 5. This book definitely has my attention.

"Sometimes words are so much more difficult to form than fists."

Happy reading everyone."

OMG I soooooooo agree with you on that one! I absolutely love it so far.

message 9: by Alexandria (last edited Dec 10, 2018 11:08AM) (new)

Alexandria In Wonderland (alexandriainwonderland) | 11 comments I loved that quote too! What a way to introduce a character! *nod of approval*

Jane wrote: "I am loving the book so far. I can see a lot of tragedy in all of these character's future, but oh my god I love it!

Mari is not only a badass, so far I see a complex character that can surprise u..."

message 10: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria In Wonderland (alexandriainwonderland) | 11 comments Who's loving all the Japanese?!

"Have you forgotten how to use hashi?"

It makes me happy! :)

message 11: by Jane (new)

Exactly! And I felt from the start that she will be fierce and able to deliver as well, not just brag about it without getting dirty.

Alex wrote: "I loved that quote too! What a way to introduce a character! *nod of approval*

Jane wrote: "I am loving the book so far. I can see a lot of tragedy in all of these character's future, but oh my go..."

message 12: by Jane (new)

Alex wrote: "Who's loving all the Japanese?!

"Have you forgotten how to use hashi?"

It makes me happy! :)"

Same, makes it feel so authentic! Love seeying all thse Yoshi as well, reminds of that time when I used to play Heroes of Might and Magic and these creatures were superb in it. Makes me want to play that again...

Daniela - The Bookish Living (thebookishliving) | 15 comments I am so in love with this book! I like Maris personality, so strong and determined. Hate the Emperor, and I am 100% team Taro.

I became Maris fan since the beginning, my first favourite quote was also "I'm very sorry but from this moment you are dead". The thing that captivate me the most is the use of the different type of swords, I used to practice kendo and I just love way the fighting scenes make me feel.

message 14: by Jane (new)

Daniela wrote: "I am so in love with this book! I like Maris personality, so strong and determined. Hate the Emperor, and I am 100% team Taro.

I became Maris fan since the beginning, my first favourite quote was ..."

I loved that as well! Never fought anything, but loved the idea of her being master of that cool weapon. I kept on imagining her like Sailor Saturn from the Sailor Moon manga/anime brandishing her Glaive around slicing skin. She is so amazing, but also full of heart; I would've loved her anyway, regardless, but oh man.... Can't wait for tomorrow to read some more hahhaaha

message 15: by Véronique (new)

Véronique | 6 comments So far I am loving this book! Although it does have very strong Girls of Paper and Fire vibes, with the humans and the yōkai and the Asian setting. I’m already in love with Akira and I’m interested to see what part he’s going to play in this book. Taro reminds me of Prince Benat from These Rebel Waves, because he’s king of in the same situation, being forced into being someone he doesn’t want to be by his father.
I can’t wait for the moment Taro and Mari meet! I’m just hoping it won’t turn out to be a classic happy ending with Mari becoming Empress and her and Taro all happy, but it most likely is going to have some plot twist in the end and I’m already super anxious to see how this is going to end! ☺️

message 16: by Jane (new)

I know what you mean about the happy ending, although somehow I have a feeling it might not be without any sacrifices if the foreshadowing is anything to go by.

I love this Asian setting so much, I feel like I'm transported for real into another world.

At least the Prince has a good balance in his character development so far and I am excited to see what will happen next. I haven't waited to excitedly for the next day so I could read again in a very long time.

message 17: by Claire (new)

Claire The research that has gone into the yōkai is impeccable! I'm very impressed with the level of Japanese folklore that have been included.
This book is a true pleasure to read.

message 18: by Jane (new)

Claire wrote: "The research that has gone into the yōkai is impeccable! I'm very impressed with the level of Japanese folklore that have been included.
This book is a true pleasure to read."

I agree. I also love the fact that it's not all been dumped, but rather creatures revealed via stories or events. I feel like I have a quick grasp of the characters as I sometimes struggle with fantasy worlds so different from ours to get immersed, but absolutely no problem. I am surprised by how much I am loving it so far and I hope it continues on that note!

message 19: by Casandra (new)

Casandra Sandu (readyourhappiness) | 1 comments I’m a bit late, but I’m going to start reading this now! I’m so excited to have people to discuss it with!

message 20: by Jane (new)

Casandra wrote: "I’m a bit late, but I’m going to start reading this now! I’m so excited to have people to discuss it with!"

No such thing as late! I hope you will enjoy it as much as we've had so far! :D

Daniela - The Bookish Living (thebookishliving) | 15 comments I felt my heart breaking when I read the part where they pushed the yokai into the winter room :(

message 22: by Jane (new)

Daniela wrote: "I felt my heart breaking when I read the part where they pushed the yokai into the winter room :("

Me too. I almost cried myself, and that scene when he took the hammer in there... oh, man!

Also, their rules as Animal wives are so savage, aren't they?!

message 23: by thebookishrose (new)

thebookishrose (thebookishrose_) | 4 comments I just finished reading today’s chapters and oh my god! I’m already obsessed with this book! I’m super intrigued by Akira and I already like Taro - he’s really interesting and seems pretty unique for a future emperor. I want to know more about his childhood. Mari is such a sweet character, I really really like her, she seems super badass but I feel bad that she has to go and try to become the Empress :(

message 24: by Freebird (new)

Freebird Writer | 2 comments Just finished chapter 8 and I don’t know how I feel. On one hand, the characters are developing nicely, I learn more with each chapter but on the other, I feel like I can’t quite get into this novel. I don’t know if it’s just because I’m not used to the names of detrimental things and the way they are pronounce or if it’s the POVs we get.

POV,
Every time I just get into the chapter, into their mindset I had to change again. The chapters are every short, so I don’t get a whole lot from a single chapter.

But with that being said, I do like seeing multiple views. I like getting into the heads and seeing what’s happening. But as I said I find it harder to connect with one character this way. We are 50 pages or so into the novel and I can’t say I really know any of the characters.

Strengths;
The world building. I like the world and the way the novel has been wrote. It all fits perfectly together. The novel leaves me wanting to read more and I do.

Weakness;
Too many people. By this I mean there are way to many different types of yōkai and it makes me too confused. Because I find it hard to pronounce their names (which makes it hard for me to remember them) I feel like there is just too many.

Overall;
I like it so far... I think. Reading more will let me know So roll on tomorrow so I can dive even more into the novel.

message 25: by Cat (new)

Cat Spearey (catspearey) | 3 comments I am loving all the Japanese! I'm currently learning it so it's nice to read it in another capacity!

These characters are all going to be heartbreakers ... I'm so glad j won't experience them alone!

Daniela - The Bookish Living (thebookishliving) | 15 comments Yes! The Animal Wives are so strict about their rules, I guess it's understandable but still... I was speechless when I read about the Letting Go ceremony

message 27: by Claire (new)

Claire Daniela wrote: "Yes! The Animal Wives are so strict about their rules, I guess it's understandable but still... I was speechless when I read about the Letting Go ceremony"

Oh, I know! That was such a heartbreaking scene. Poor Hissa! It was a really emotional thing to read about. How can Tami make herself be so cruel?

message 28: by Charvi (new)

Charvi (notjustfiction) just finished the first 7 chapters! Really love the characters. I can't wait for the competition to start. Also I absolutely adore Akira and wonder what part he is going to play. I wish he was clearly defined though. I want more on his parents and abilities. Also can humans become yokai? Because that's what it seemed happened to his mother unless I understood wrongly. That was rather confusing...

message 29: by Charvi (new)

Charvi (notjustfiction) I just realised why I love Akira so much... is it just me or he seems a lot like Nico di Angelo?

message 30: by Jane (new)

I love Akira as well so far and would like to find out more about his abilities

message 31: by Kimberlee (new)

Kimberlee Lamendola (kimberleelamendola) | 3 comments Also am enjoying this book so far. Although the last two weeks before winter break (I teach 2nd grade) has me all 😴😴😴 and reading slower than normal haha.

I love Akira so far and can’t wait to see how his character changes. I’m reading it on my Kindle so I only have percentages, but so far there are two quotes of his that just kill me.

“Akira wished Mari could see herself as he did - beautiful, wanted, beloved.”

“You cannot fathom all the ways I adore you, he wanted to whisper.”

That word beloved goes straight to my heart. I think it is just one of those words that shows how much someone cares for someone else. It’s not primal, it’s not possessive, it’s not a word that just shows someone is having some fun. It’s like a souls deep word.

I also like Mari so far. To be such a disappointment to her entire community, but not give up.

message 32: by Jane (new)

keep your eyes out for the chapters, that's more helpful that page numbers. I am glad you are enjoying it so far. we are midway and omg. so many feels for it. I love akira as well.

message 33: by Kimberlee (new)

Kimberlee Lamendola (kimberleelamendola) | 3 comments Yeah, that's a good question. It does seem like somehow Akira's mom was able to become a yokai. I don't think you misunderstood. If you did, I did too haha.

Charvi wrote: "just finished the first 7 chapters! Really love the characters. I can't wait for the competition to start. Also I absolutely adore Akira and wonder what part he is going to play. I wish he was clea..."

message 34: by Claire (new)

Claire Charvi wrote: "just finished the first 7 chapters! Really love the characters. I can't wait for the competition to start. Also I absolutely adore Akira and wonder what part he is going to play. I wish he was clea..."

In Japanese mythology a person that was wronged in life can become, what they call, a 'vengeful spirit'. Basically, they can transform into something unnatural to seek their revenge on those who wronged them, or someone that's committing a similar sort of crime.

My understanding is that Akito's mothers became one of these spirits when she died. The Kuchisake-onna, or split-mouth girl, is a common urban legend in Japan.

Hope that helps a little!

message 35: by Charvi (new)

Charvi (notjustfiction) ooh that makes a lot of sense! Thanks Kimberlee :)

message 36: by Jane (new)

Wow that's so cool