AMERICAN HISTORICAL NOVELS discussion

Historical Fiction: Research

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Martha (new)

Martha Conway | 255 comments Mod
Beverly writes:

In writing historical fiction, the first project is always research. I love it, I could stay with the past forever. It's there to be figured out, to be understood in a comprehensive way. The present is too muddy, too blurry with situations that have not become clear as yet. And the future, too scary.

But the big question is always, when is enough research too much, so seductive you don't get back to writing. The creation of your story, your characters and their world is the most important. Once you have investigated a foundation of the times and places for your book, get back to writing. You can continue to research, even one detail at a time if necessary.

When I decided that my protagonist in WHERE DO I GO, could be a healer with natural herbs, I had to go back and study which herbs grew in her area and what their healing effects were. Then I needed to know if they had ice cream in those times, research. How about cooking methods, research. Anything to enhance the times, but also what would enhance the story and the characters.

Many times, doing the research gave me a break during my writing day and still didn't detract from the project.

Where Do I Go by Beverly Magid

message 2: by Beverly (new)

Beverly Magid | 15 comments You still have today and tomorrow to post to my discussions and be entered into my giveaway of my novel WHERE DO I GO.