The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle discussion

Spoiler - questions about the end....

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Spoliers!!!!!

I think I finally got the hang of this host switching, but what lost me in his host loops was when he becomes Gold.... Please help!

At the end, he needed to stay Gold, right? He tried to stay awake/water poured on him, etc. Eventually, he sleeps/or is unconscious and that's when he returns to the butler, which we thought had been killed but was actually still alive. And here's where I am lost... The footman is searching for Donald Davis.

So, that whole meeting in the graveyard hadn't happened yet. But why did other things presumably still happen, like saving Evelyn/Felicity and Michael's death? If Gold starts the beginning of the day, how do we know what happens with everyone else while he's Gold? This makes my head hurt...

message 2: by V (new) - rated it 5 stars

V Amy wrote: "Spoliers!!!!!

I think I finally got the hang of this host switching, but what lost me in his host loops was when he becomes Gold.... Please help!

At the end, he needed to stay Gold, right? He tr..."

The version of Aiden that we're following has already experienced a full day in each of his hosts, except the butler, who turns out to have died later in the 2nd day than we thought. Think of this narrating Aiden as Our-Aiden, and think of all the Aidens who are inhabiting his other hosts at the same time as Time-loop Aidens. The Time-loop Aidens will keep going through the day as if they are experiencing it for the first time in their POV.

Even if our-Aiden changes things and that leaves a previous time-loop Aiden alive instead of dead, our-Aiden has already experienced a full day in that past host, so he cannot go back to them. The only reason he can go back to the butler is because the butler had never died back then in the first place.

Hope that makes sense!

message 3: by KM (new) - rated it 5 stars

KM I also have a question about the time he passes out/falls asleep whilst being Gold - the Plague Doctor said that Aiden will be freed as soon as he falls asleep, which has happened but instead he woke up as a Butler and didn't "go back to reality". Can someone please explain why?

message 4: by Mary Claire (last edited Aug 22, 2019 01:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Claire KM wrote: "I also have a question about the time he passes out/falls asleep whilst being Gold - the Plague Doctor said that Aiden will be freed as soon as he falls asleep, which has happened but instead he wo..."

I think the reason he wasn't freed as soon as he fell asleep and woke up as the Butler again is because the day hadn't finished yet, but also because he had asked the Plague Doctor as Gold to give him the chance to save Anna. This is where Aiden tells the Plague Doctor about his theory of there being a second murderer, so because of this the Plague Doctor lets him test his theory. I think that, hypothetically, if Aiden hadn't been able to prove what happens at the end of the book, the Plague Doctor would have still let him go at the end of the day without Anna. And the reason he woke up as the Butler again is because he wasn't actually dead yet, the Footman wanted to question him.

message 5: by KM (new) - rated it 5 stars

KM Mary Claire wrote: "KM wrote: "I also have a question about the time he passes out/falls asleep whilst being Gold - the Plague Doctor said that Aiden will be freed as soon as he falls asleep, which has happened but in..."
Thanks for your detailed response, Mary Claire! That does make sense now.

Mary Claire KM wrote: "Mary Claire wrote: "KM wrote: "I also have a question about the time he passes out/falls asleep whilst being Gold - the Plague Doctor said that Aiden will be freed as soon as he falls asleep, which..."

You're welcome!

Rebecca What is the significance of the "all of them" note?

message 8: by Laura (last edited Feb 19, 2020 02:28PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura Rebecca wrote: "What is the significance of the "all of them" note?"

That was the question one of the "hosts" asked Cunningham to ask Mrs. Drudge/someone else (legit just finished the book 2 days ago and already getting the characters mixed up) "how many of the Hardcastle kids were Carver's", and she responded "all of them."