Reading with Style discussion

32 views
RwS Winter 18-19 > 10.4 New Year's Day

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6146 comments Read an author's debut novel. An author may have previously published non-fiction and/or short fiction. To qualify for this task, the book in question must be the author's first long-form, published work of fiction.

Please post questions about task 10.4 in this thread.


message 2: by Rosemary (last edited Nov 29, 2018 06:14PM) (new)

Rosemary | 2949 comments What if the author has published novels under a different name before? For example The Crossing Places is the first novel by Elly Griffiths, but according to Fantastic Fiction, she is Domenica De Rosa, who published earlier novels.


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12313 comments Rosemary wrote: "What if the author has published novels under a different name before? For example The Crossing Places is the first novel by Elly Griffiths, but according to Fantast..."

The GR description states (and as a GR author, she is the only one who can fill in the narrative):

"Though not her first novel, The Crossing Places is her first crime novel. "

So that title won't work for this task.


message 4: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2522 comments What about a pseudonym for which the real name is not known?

Charles Brokaw: "Charles Brokaw is a pseudonym for an author, academic, and college educator living in the Midwest...The Atlantis Code. The book is the author’s first published adventure thriller."


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12313 comments Tien wrote: "What about a pseudonym for which the real name is not known?

Charles Brokaw: "Charles Brokaw is a pseudonym for an author, academic, and college educator living in the Midwest...T..."


We'll accept that for his debut.


message 6: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2522 comments Thanks, Elizabeth


message 7: by Megan (new)

Megan (gentlyread) | 358 comments Does My Sister, the Serial Killer qualify for this task? The copyright page in my edition says that it was previously published in a shorter version as an ebook in Nigeria. That version has an unlinked, separate listing here on GR as Thicker than Water. For the purposes of this task, does the later version count as a debut novel?


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12313 comments Megan wrote: "Does My Sister, the Serial Killer qualify for this task? The copyright page in my edition says that it was previously published in a shorter version as an ebook in Nigeria. That ver..."

No, I'm sorry. If the earlier one had been incorporated into the 2nd, we might stretch. But it seems to have been a sort of prequel, and it's length is just long enough to nose the second one out of a debut.


message 9: by Megan (new)

Megan (gentlyread) | 358 comments Okay, thanks!


message 10: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 1908 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Megan wrote: "Does My Sister, the Serial Killer qualify for this task? The copyright page in my edition says that it was previously published in a shorter version as an ebook in Nig..."

Oyinkan Braithwaite seems to count for 10.8 so there's still a place for My Sister, the Serial Killer (which I'm reading right now)


message 11: by Megan (new)

Megan (gentlyread) | 358 comments Hope you're enjoying the book! It looks like she's a GR author, too, so the book can also work for 10.2.


message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 539 comments Believe Me by J.P. Delaney ?

It came out this year but goodreads has it listed as originally published in 2001.


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12313 comments Rachelccameron wrote: "Believe Me by J.P. Delaney ?

It came out this year but goodreads has it listed as originally published in 2001."


No, sorry. This was originally published under his name of Tony Strong and he had others prior to that. (The GR records will reflect that other author name as soon as librarians can fix it.)


message 14: by Mary (last edited Jan 05, 2019 10:24AM) (new)

Mary | 861 comments The Sign of Evil by Anthony Wynne

Can I count this for 10.4 New Years Day?

Anthony Wynne is a pen name for Robert McNair Wilson who also wrote under the name Harry Colindale https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_...
In 1925, it looks like Wilson published two books The Sign of Evil asAnthony Wynne and They Want their Wages as Harry Colindale -- also a novel (not on Goodreads) see wikipedia and Amazon ASIN B001PBN46U.


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12313 comments Mary wrote: "The Sign of Evil by Anthony Wynne

Can I count this for 10.4 and

Anthony Wynne is a pen name for Robert McNair Wilson who also wrote under the name Harry Colindal..."


Yes. Please note "approved" in the Completed Tasks thread in case I forget!


message 16: by Mary (new)

Mary | 861 comments Murder in the Dark by Dan Turèll
was published in 1981 which was the same year that Turell published Mord i Rodby See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Tur...

Can I count Murder in the Dark as a debut novel? (10.4)


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12313 comments Mary wrote: "Murder in the Dark by Dan Turèll
was published in 1981 which was the same year that Turell published Mord i Rodby See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wi..."


Yes, his earlier works appear to be short stories, not novels. (Again, please remind me when you post.)


message 18: by Kätlin (new)

Kätlin | 173 comments I read The Lightkeeper's Daughters by Jean E. Pendziwol, which is her first novel as such. Her Goodreads author page also states that the book is her debut adult novel. She has written children's books before though. Does this work?

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...


message 19: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6146 comments Kätlin wrote: "I read The Lightkeeper's Daughters by Jean E. Pendziwol, which is her first novel as such. Her Goodreads author page also states that the book is her debut adult nove..."

This looks like it will work.


message 20: by Kätlin (new)

Kätlin | 173 comments Thanks Kate!


back to top