Reading with Style discussion

RwS Winter 18-19 > 10.1 Square Peg

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 5912 comments Read a book which does not qualify for any other 10- or 20-point task. This task may only be completed once during the Winter Challenge.

Please post any questions/comments about task 10.1 in this thread.

message 2: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (walker) | 1364 comments Anyone see a spot for Varina by Charles Frazier or have I found my square peg?

message 3: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2315 comments Joanna wrote: "Anyone see a spot for Varina by Charles Frazier or have I found my square peg?"

Well, for what it's worth - I don't! :)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11728 comments Thanks, Valerie. I didn't think I saw anything either, but for various reasons, none of which have to do with RwS, I wasn't trusting myself this afternoon.

message 5: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2387 comments Confirming my square peg too: The Washerwoman's Dream: The Extraordinary Life of Winifred Steger 1882-1981 by Hilarie Lindsay

10.2 Not GR author
10.3 pub 2002
10.4 - not applicable as not a novel
10.5 not on the list
10.6 not on the list
10.7 None
10.8 not on the list
10.9 I can't see any HL / LH...
20.1 - wikipedia noted April birthday
20.2 not on the list
20.3 author published 1 novel, a number of short stories, poetries, anthologies, and picture books so it won't fit this task?
20.4 not on the list
20.5 n/a
20.6 definitely not super wealthy, leisure class
20.7 it's not truly a grand adventure?
20.8 definitely not set in Appalachia
20.9 328 pages
20.10 3.63 / 107

message 6: by Penny (new)

Penny (Literary Hoarders) (pennyliteraryhoarders) | 123 comments Oh, I thought I might be able to do Kingdom of the Blind by Louise Penny here, but she fits into one and maybe more of the challenges on the list. Bummer!

message 7: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Dec 05, 2018 07:16AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11728 comments Tien wrote: "Confirming my square peg too: The Washerwoman's Dream: The Extraordinary Life of Winifred Steger 1882-1981 by Hilarie Lindsay

10.2 Not GR author
10.3 pub 2002
10.4 ..."

Looks good, Tien. We usually try to not to put the Square Peg in seasons where it's not so hard to achieve!

10.8: If not on the list, then it fits that task.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11728 comments Penny wrote: "Oh, I thought I might be able to do Kingdom of the Blind by Louise Penny here, but she fits into one and maybe more of the challenges on the list. Bummer!"

Which task do you see that book fits?

message 9: by Penny (new)

Penny (Literary Hoarders) (pennyliteraryhoarders) | 123 comments I was checking them off nicely (for not fitting) but this is an author that the group has read. Wah wah. Sad trombone.

message 10: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Dec 05, 2018 08:51AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11728 comments Penny wrote: "I was checking them off nicely (for not fitting) but this is an author that the group has read. Wah wah. Sad trombone."

Yes, which is why I'm not sure there is a task where this book fits. 10.8 is for authors the group has *not* read.

message 11: by Penny (new)

Penny (Literary Hoarders) (pennyliteraryhoarders) | 123 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Penny wrote: "I was checking them off nicely (for not fitting) but this is an author that the group has read. Wah wah. Sad trombone."

Yes, which is why I'm not sure there is a task where this book..."

No, I know - I got all excited and then the balloon fizzled out around the room. hahaha That's okay! I'll keep looking!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11728 comments Penny wrote: "No, I know - I got all excited and then the balloon fizzled out around the room."

I don't understand why you think so.

message 13: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2387 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "10.8: If not on the list, then it fits that task."

Argh, yes, of course! That task always caught me out. It's like a double negative, if you know what I mean; totally mind bending lol

message 14: by Tien (last edited Dec 05, 2018 01:09PM) (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2387 comments Right-o, this one then: Vengeance is Mine, All Others Pay Cash by Eka Kurniawan

10.2 Not GR author
10.3 pub 2014
10.4 his 3rd novel
10.5 not on the list
10.6 not on the list
10.7 None
10.8 is ON the list ;D
10.9 I can't see any EK/KE
20.1 - wikipedia noted November birthday
20.2 not on the list
20.3 n/a - this is a novel
20.4 not on the list
20.5 not historical fiction
20.6 MC described as "Ajo Kawir, a lower-class Javanese teenage boy..."
20.7 not an adventure
20.8 definitely not set in Appalachia
20.9 234 pages
20.10 3.91 / 2,140

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11728 comments Tien wrote: "Right-o, this one then: Vengeance is Mine, All Others Pay Cash by Eka Kurniawan

10.2 Not GR author
10.3 pub 2014
10.4 his 3rd novel
10.5 not on the list
10.6 not on..."

From what I see, yes.

message 16: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2387 comments Great, thanks very much, Elizabeth.

message 17: by Penny (new)

Penny (Literary Hoarders) (pennyliteraryhoarders) | 123 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Penny wrote: "No, I know - I got all excited and then the balloon fizzled out around the room."

I don't understand why you think so."

Oh! Hang on. I CAN read this one for this challenge. Right? I think I was thinking backwards. Kingdom of the Blind fits as a Square Peg? Right?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11728 comments Penny wrote: "Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Penny wrote: "No, I know - I got all excited and then the balloon fizzled out around the room."

I don't understand why you think so."

Oh! Hang on. I CAN read this one f..."

I don't see where it fits any task, so yes, it appears to be a Square Peg.

message 19: by Anika (last edited Dec 13, 2018 12:10AM) (new)

Anika | 1803 comments Can anyone see a place where A Reunion of Ghosts by Judith Claire Mitchell would fit? This is my carryover book from last season and if it’s also my square peg I’ll be ecstatic!
10.2 not a GR author
10.3 pub 2015
10.4 2nd novel
10.5 not on the list
10.6 not on the list
10.7 no conjunctions in title
10.8 author on the list already
10.9 no combination of JCM works
10.10 not an option
20.1 **I can’t find her birth month anywhere—this is the only possible downfall I can see...
20.2 while she is a graduate of the Iowa Writer’s Workshop, she’s not listed on the Wiki page
20.3 this is a novel
20.4 not on the list
20.5. insufficient number of “historical fiction” shelvings
20.6 not about wealthy class
20.7 not an adventure
20.8 set in NYC
20.9 400 pages
20.10 3.45/3,118

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11728 comments Anika wrote: "Can anyone see a place where A Reunion of Ghosts by Judith Claire Mitchell would fit? This is my carryover book from last season and if it’s also my square peg I’ll ..."

I think you're good with that - and, just for the record, she was born July 3, 1952

message 21: by Anika (new)

Anika | 1803 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Anika wrote: "Can anyone see a place where A Reunion of Ghosts by Judith Claire Mitchell would fit? This is my carryover book from last season and if it’s also my sq..."

Perfect! Thank you, Elizabeth--you are the birthday magician!

message 22: by Rebekah (last edited Feb 02, 2019 11:49AM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4192 comments Joanna wrote: "Anyone see a spot for Varina by Charles Frazier or have I found my square peg?"

When I first saw this, I thought I’d check because Charles Frazier has all his other novels set in Appalachia. The Goodreads book description is misleading in its first line, that “Charles Frazier returns us to the time and place of Cold Mountain”. The era might be the same but Cold Mountain was set in the Appalachian Mountains of North Carolina. It looks like this book is set in the Mississippi Delta. The distance between them is over 700 miles/ 1100 km! Different regions, different economics, different states, different geology, different terrain, different climates, different culture, different accent.

message 23: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4192 comments A Full Life: Reflections at Ninety by Jimmy Carter

Not a Goodreads author,
Book pub in 2015
Non fiction
Does not qualify for MLK list,
Another book by him was a former group reads book
Birthday is Oct 1
Not a writers workshop alumnus
Has only written one novel that I could find
No crimes here
Grew up poor, lived in subsidized housing after Navy. Still lives plainly
No big special adventure trip except what he has done as President or in Navy and this is not about one single event
Not in Appalachia
Over 3000 ratings and less than 700 pages

Am I missing anything?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11728 comments Go for it!