J.D. Robb discussion

The Kept Woman (Will Trent, #8)
This topic is about The Kept Woman
Archive -2017/18 Series GR > The Kept Woman by Karin Slaughter (Will Trent #8) - December 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jonetta (last edited Dec 26, 2018 05:12AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 12955 comments Mod
With the discovery of a murder at an abandoned construction site, Will Trent of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation is brought in on a case that becomes much more dangerous when the dead man is identified as an ex-cop.

Studying the body, Sara Linton—the GBI’s newest medical examiner and Will’s lover—realizes that the extensive blood loss didn't belong to the corpse. Sure enough, bloody footprints leading away from the scene indicate there is another victim—a woman—who has vanished . . . and who will die soon if she isn’t found.

Will is already compromised, because the site belongs to the city’s most popular citizen: a wealthy, powerful, and politically connected athlete protected by the world’s most expensive lawyers—a man who’s already gotten away with rape, despite Will’s exhaustive efforts to put him away.

But the worst is yet to come. Evidence soon links Will’s troubled past to the case . . . and the consequences will tear through his life with the force of a tornado, wreaking havoc for Will and everyone around him, including his colleagues, family, friends—and even the suspects he pursues.

Relentlessly suspenseful and furiously paced, peopled with conflicted, fallible characters who leap from the page, The Kept Woman is a seamless blend of twisty police procedural and ingenious psychological thriller -- a searing, unforgettable novel of love, loss, and redemption.

This will become a spoiler zone on December 8th!

Prologue
14 Chapters
Epilogue

Character List
(view spoiler)

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10198 comments Mod
I was blown away by this book - one of the most intense & emotional of the series, imo. Slaughter's writing talent is truly amazing.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 556 comments Oh my goodness Sandra. Can't wait to read it.

Robin (robinmy) | 771 comments I rated this one my number one book last year. Loved it. Hope everyone else does too.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2229 comments I can't wait to discuss this one. There is a lot going on.

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan (cruelshoes) | 500 comments picking up from Library this weekend

Belles | 156 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "I was blown away by this book - one of the most intense & emotional of the series, imo. Slaughter's writing talent is truly amazing."

I agree. Her writing is truly amazing. I'm so glad I read this series with all of you. I never would have picked it up otherwise. Thank you. ♥ ♥ ♥

I was very happy when it was selected. This is the book I haven’t read!

Jonetta wrote: "I was very happy when it was selected. This is the book I haven’t read!"

omg Jonetta. So excited for you and everyone else to read this one.

Great news, everyone! Slaughter has a new Will Trent book scheduled for release in August 2019, The Last Widow. No cover yet.

I’ve updated the series list.

This is now a spoiler zone! Feel free to discuss the book openly.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 556 comments I'll be starting this next week.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 556 comments I finally got to start this reading the prologue and first chapter.

Wow, immediately my mind is going in all sorts of directions from that prologue. That woman has got to be (view spoiler)

I'd love to just sit down and read today but alas Christmas shopping and preparation awaits.. sigh.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2229 comments I don't know what to say about this book.

It is well done but Will is not the character that I thought I knew and love. I felt sorry for him but I couldn't wrap my head around many of the things he said and did especially to Sara.

For me, I have to think about one of the comments during an "In Death" discussion that the book didn't work because of Eve's attitude toward Roarke. (I think it was SB but not sure) Anyway, at the time I couldn't understand the comment...now I do.

I am not a fan of writers that end with "the lady or the tiger" ending which is what KS did here. I remember someone posted a link to the next book; for the life of me I can't find it. I do remember Sara in the blurb so she will return. I guess that answers part of the lady or tiger question.

I need to think about this for a couple days and decide if I even care about Will anymore. This book crushed me more than Jeffrey dying.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 556 comments Wow, Sharon. I'm only about a quarter of the way through and I'm trying to understand Will's attitude to Angie even at the expense of his own mental health and happiness. He just can't seem to let her go the damage that was done by his childhood is immeasurable. I'm not medically trained but I'm sure their relationship must have some kind of mental health diagnosis.

I'll read on..

message 16: by Sharon (last edited Dec 12, 2018 05:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2229 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Wow, Sharon. I'm only about a quarter of the way through and I'm trying to understand Will's attitude to Angie even at the expense of his own mental health and happiness. He just can't seem to let ..."

You're right Lisa I'm sure it is a mental health issue. I get that. I know Will promised in the past that he would talk to Sara but he hasn't. He only wants Angie to know him that seems clear to me.

What bothers me most is Will is always so kind and loving in the past. Through most of this book I want to slap him. I want to slap Sara too. Now I know why KS took two years to write the next book in the series I don't know where she is going to take Will.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 556 comments Wow, I spent the day reading this book when I really should have been doing other things.. but I couldn't put it down. It was intense.

I didn't have your reaction Sharon, I really felt that Will had turned the corner with his "obsession" or whatever it was that kept him coming back to Angie. He still has his issues from his childhood but I think he has finally realised how poisonous she is and that he deserves to be happy. Yes, both Will and Sara should be more honest with their feelings but given their history and what has happened to each of them before they met it figures that this will be a process in which sometimes both of them will stuff up.

I can't wait for the next book next September.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Wow, I spent the day reading this book when I really should have been doing other things.. but I couldn't put it down. It was intense.

I didn't have your reaction Sharon, I really felt that Will ..."

That was my reaction, Lisa. I thought Will took a step forward in this one. And I thought Angie finally shows herself to be the toxic, manipulative, destructive woman that she really is. I kept reminding myself that she's had her hooks in Will for 30 years - 30 bad years and she kept reminding him that he didn't deserve anything more. Will struggled with it, but I think he finally sees that he deserves more. I love Will and Sara and can't wait for the next one.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2229 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Wow, I spent the day reading this book when I really should have been doing other things.. but I couldn't put it down. It was intense.

I didn't have your reaction Sharon, I really felt that Will ..."

Don't I feel stupid. I didn't expect to turn on Will. It looks like my ebook is missing several (4 that I see) chapters or it isn't working on my Kindle. I thought sections were jumpy. I figured KS was tired of the series. Fortunately Amazon sent me a new book. Now I have to go back and read again.

Sharon wrote: "Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Wow, I spent the day reading this book when I really should have been doing other things.. but I couldn't put it down. It was intense.

I didn't have your reaction Sha..."

Oh my goodness! It certainly helps to have all the chapters! lol

message 21: by Lisa - (Aussie Girl) (last edited Dec 13, 2018 02:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 556 comments Ohh, Sharon. I'll be interested to see what you think after you read all the book.

So how to you compare Lena to Angie? And how much can you excuse/understand/have compassion for people's actions in the present in light of their past? Lots to think about there.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Ohh, Sharon. I'll be interested to see what you think after you read all the book.

So how to you compare Lena to Angie? And how much can you excuse/understand/have compassion for people's actions ..."

In my opinion, Lena can't hold a candle to Angie. I think Angie is much worse and deliberate. Just my opinion.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 556 comments Oh I agree Sandra. I'm thinking that Lena is a product of her childhood environment and she seems to blunder through things, she may be spiteful and unfeeling at times but not intrinsically "bad". At the end of Unseen I got the feeling that she had really reached the stage of "enough" and she was ready to move forward. I so did not get that feeling with Angie. That's why I ask the question about how much we can put down to an absolutely awful childhood and how much is just her personality.

Jo Ann (jojog) | 337 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Ohh, Sharon. I'll be interested to see what you think after you read all the book.

So how to you compare Lena to Angie? And how much can you excuse/understand/have com..."

Oh, I am right there with you, Sandra. Angie is willfully destructive to herself and those around her while Lena is the queen of bad decision making.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2229 comments What a difference it makes to the story to have the entire book!

Some missing sections were important to the procedural and made the story flow so much better but Chapter 13 or 14 ended when Will was telling Angie how sorry he was that he didn't protect her with Sara standing there listening. My book ended right before the Virginia Sousa reveal and that Will was playing Angie. That is what made me so angry with Will.

Also, the epilogue was missing. OMG I can't believe Angie is still tapped into Sara's laptop. I'm surprised they didn't figure that out since she knew so many things in her emails like Bambi. It will be interesting to see if KS comes back to that in the next book.

The scene after the suicide with Amanda was missing. That's how I found out my book was damaged. My daughter asked me she cried when Amanda told Will that she stopped going to see him on visiting days because it hurt her to see him so sad. (My daughter is adopting an older boy and it touched her.) Will would have so many better memories if Amanda had been a part of his young life. (My daughter reads whatever we are reading in the group. I've asked her to join but she claims she doesn't have time. I'll keep working on her.)

Anyway, I went back to see what she was talking about and realized that the Kindle copy was skipping through chapters. That hasn't happened to me with published books since the early days of Kindle. I feel so much better and love Will again. I still don't like the way the Will/Sara chapter ended. I wanted Sara to open the door and Will be there. I so hate those "you decide" endings.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2229 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Ohh, Sharon. I'll be interested to see what you think after you read all the book.

So how to you compare Lena to Angie? And how much can you excuse/understand/have com..."

I agree with you Sandra. I'm not a Lena fan at all. However, I don't think she intentionally sets out to hurt people. She is emotionally immature but I get the sense that she is learning. In many ways, she acknowledges her shortcomings and she has the desire to be a better person. She loves Jared even if his family and Sara wish he wouldn't.

Angie on the other hand is pure evil. She doesn't love anyone. She had a bad childhood and uses it as an excuse to hurt others, especially Will. Like he said part of the reason he keeps things to himself is because Angie would use any piece of information to hurt him. Add to that, Angie is a murderer. I don't get why they allow her to get away with it and hope that she will pay at some point.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Oh I agree Sandra. I'm thinking that Lena is a product of her childhood environment and she seems to blunder through things, she may be spiteful and unfeeling at times but not intrinsically "bad". ..."

Exactly! Lena has made horrible decisions & they've cost others dearly. But, I don't think she made them with malice intent. Angie is just evil - I do feel bad for her childhood … & Will's. But Angie seems to be determined to take Will and others down with her. It's like - if she can't be happy, she will make dang sure he isn't either. I think she acts out of malice, jealousy, and a desire to destroy everything and everybody.

Yes, it begs a question that Robb often explores in the In Death series - nature vs nurture??? They're arguments for both sides. In Angie's case, her childhood may have set the stage, but I think for whatever reason/s, she is evil & destructive and acts with premeditated malice. Her intent is to hurt & destroy lives.

Sharon wrote: "What a difference it makes to the story to have the entire book!

Some missing sections were important to the procedural and made the story flow so much better but Chapter 13 or 14 ended when Will ..."

So glad you realized you were missing chapters, Sharon! It certainly changes some things.

Jo Ann (jojog) | 337 comments Just saw KS's announcement that the next Will and Sara will be out this summer. It's titled The Last Widow. Can't wait!!!

Jo Ann wrote: "Just saw KS's announcement that the next Will and Sara will be out this summer. It's titled The Last Widow. Can't wait!!!"

It's one of my most anticipated books of 2019!

Patty | 451 comments Loved this book and totally agree with the difference between Lena and Angie. Hate Angie! Feel sorry and disappointed in Lena. I had read 2 or 3 of the Grant county books and then I read this book. Did not realize it was part of a series and for some reason did not connect that Sara was the same person in the books. So I went into reading the book the second time thinking Sara is not really a main character in this book. I liked the book the 1st time but I really loved the book after reading the complete series. What difference it makes when you read the entire series.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 556 comments Yes, it certainly would Patty. The follow on with Sara after the Grant County series and her past relationships adds another dimension to the Will Trent series.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2229 comments Now that finished reading the book from beginning to end to make sure I didn't miss something important both implicit and explicit. I have questions...

1. Amanda she said she chose Will. Does this explain why she is so hard on him? I can't decide. In some ways it has made him stronger especially in his career but she bullies him so much calling him a sissy, etc. I could buy it if she made him work harder than the other people who report to her because she doesn't want to appear to show favoritism but then I would expect her to treat Faith the same way and she doesn't. Thought?

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2229 comments 2. What do you think of Sara's observation that Will said he would open up but would he really because under it all he feels they already have everything they needed -- loving one another?

Will has promised to open up to Sara in previous books and he still doesn't. There isn't a relationship around that can survive not communicating in my opinion. Do you think Will is going to try or is this another promise he won't keep? I can't decide.

3. What about Sara's concern that Angie will know Will's codes the same as Will knows Angie? Is he at the point that he really is putting her in the past? Will he use a code that will stump Angie or do you expect her to worm her way back into his life?

Honestly I want her dead but I don't think Will and Sara will survive another Angie death. What does that say about Will and Sara's long term relationship?

I hope some of these questions are addressed in the book due out next year.

See message #10 above for the link to the next book.

Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "I thought Will took a step forward in this one. And I thought Angie finally shows herself to be the toxic, manipulative, destructive woman that she really is. I kept reminding myself that she's had her hooks in Will for 30 years - 30 bad years and she kept reminding him that he didn't deserve anything more. Will struggled with it, but I think he finally sees that he deserves more. I love Will and Sara and can't wait for the next one...."

It felt like for the first time, the veil was lifted from Will’s eyes. I can’t recall him ever reacting so violently towards Angie as he did in that hospital. She did more than cross a line, she completely severed a bond. That she would so cavalierly put him through the anguish of her supposed death, deliberately doing so, killed something in him.

Slaughter did a really good job of defining Will & Angie’s relationship from both of their perspectives. I've understood Will’s odd tie to Angie intellectually but in my heart it’s been difficult to truly get. This time, I feel I know in head and heart what kept Will tied to Angie and why she is so cruel to him. It’s twisted but then they had twisted upbringings.

What makes me believe Will has moved on aside from what I noted above? He reached out to Amanda for help in finding a judge that will grant him a divorce. Will NEVER asks for help. He personally wrote a note to Angie in a way she got that he meant what he was saying. Will played her (pretty coldly) in getting information about Jo’s son, Anthony. And, he’s changed locks, codes, etc. to block her continued access to his life.

In that last scene, Will also opened up to Sara in ways we’ve not seen in the past. He looked her directly in her eyes and told her how he feels and what he’s done to carve Angie out of his life. He didn’t look away and was unwavering. I DO believe he was still outside that door.

I’m not sure if I’m reading more into this than not but in the last scenes, Angie makes reference to still having access to Sara’s computer and noted some sappy comments about her and Will’s love life that we know aren’t happening. Could it be that they’re onto her and the comments are fake?

Sharon wrote: "What a difference it makes to the story to have the entire book!

Some missing sections were important to the procedural and made the story flow so much better but Chapter 13 or 14 ended when Will ..."

The book must have read chaotically without those chapters!

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "So how to you compare Lena to Angie? And how much can you excuse/understand/have compassion for people's actions in the present in light of their past? Lots to think about there. ..."

I’m in agreement with most that’s been said about these two. Both are damaged women and much of their behavior is shaped by what’s been done to them. Angie’s was more insidious, creating a cold, calculating, sadistic person who has no ability to feel empathy and is the proverbial narcissist. Even her feelings for her daughter are not maternal, more a fascination with her mini me.

Lena wants to be better and when she loves someone, those feelings are true. She has setbacks when she’s pressured but it’s rarely malicious (unless the target is Sara), just a lashing out to protect herself.

I have continued hope for Lena. Angie is a lost cause.

Jonetta wrote: "Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "I thought Will took a step forward in this one. And I thought Angie finally shows herself to be the toxic, manipulative, destructive woman that she really is. I ..."

Great insight & voicing of my take on these characters & situations, Jonetta. I agree. While this was a hard book to read, I felt for the first time that Will truly closed the door on Angie...and fully opened the door to his heart to Sarah. I have high hopes for this couple moving forward.

Very interesting question you raised about the last scenes & Angie's reference to Sarah's computer...hmmm...you may be right. One thing's for sure - there's a reason Slaughter wrote that in. I can't wait for the next book to find out where she goes with it all.

Jonetta wrote: "Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "So how to you compare Lena to Angie? And how much can you excuse/understand/have compassion for people's actions in the present in light of their past? Lots to think ab..."

Exactly...Lena is salvageable - there is hope for her. Angie is a lost cause - malicious, sadistic, psychotic. I can't help but think ahead to future books & wonder how Slaughter "sees" this ending. As we learned in earlier books, she stays true to her vision.

Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "I have high hopes for this couple moving forward.

Very interesting question you raised about the last scenes & Angie's reference to Sarah's computer...hmmm...you may be right. One thing's for sure - there's a reason Slaughter wrote that in. I can't wait for the next book to find out where she goes with it all...."

Oh, I have high hopes for Will & Sara, too! She really stuck with him better and longer than I could have.

Slaughter is always intentional with her words, every one of them. The next book is going to be a doozy.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 680 comments I read this long enough ago that I cannot comment on the story, but I surely agree with all your assessments of Lena vs Angie the Horrid.

Jo Ann (jojog) | 337 comments Jonetta wrote: "Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "I have high hopes for this couple moving forward.

Very interesting question you raised about the last scenes & Angie's reference to Sarah's computer...hmmm...yo..."

You mention KS being intentional with her words and there is a passage from this book that came to mind when I saw the title for the next book (The Last Widow):

Loc 5309 - "Pull the slide. Load the bullet into the chamber. Press the trigger, Make the problem disappear. Make Sara a widow again."

Personally, I see a showdown happening between Sara and Angie. One where Sara may need to make a choice between her life or Angie's.

Jo Ann wrote: "Jonetta wrote: "Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "I have high hopes for this couple moving forward.

Very interesting question you raised about the last scenes & Angie's reference to Sarah's comp..."

Oh Jo Ann...that's chilling! I had forgotten that. Yikes!

message 45: by Susan (new)

Susan (cruelshoes) | 500 comments I don't know what Sara has done in her past life to have two (Lena and Angie) horrible people do bad things to her and those she loves. Angie is so like Lena in that she gets away with everything. I agree with everyone here whom just want to bang Will's head against the wall for his behavior. I like how Amanda revealed to Will that she has kept tabs on him his whole life but she could not adopt him but did think about it.

Jo Ann wrote: "Personally, I see a showdown happening between Sara and Angie. One where Sara may need to make a choice between her life or Angie's...."

I didn’t want to go there but that’s where my head was at the end of this book. Angie is irrationally fixated on Sara and has no impulse control any longer. In this story, her only way of controlling herself from shooting someone is to unload her gun? Losing Will flipped something. He was her anchor to any sense of moral code and with him gone....

Susan wrote: "I don't know what Sara has done in her past life to have two (Lena and Angie) horrible people do bad things to her and those she loves. Angie is so like Lena in that she gets away with everything. ..."

Having just one of these women in your life would be traumatic enough!

message 48: by Susan (new)

Susan (cruelshoes) | 500 comments Jonetta wrote: "Susan wrote: "I don't know what Sara has done in her past life to have two (Lena and Angie) horrible people do bad things to her and those she loves. Angie is so like Lena in that she gets away wit..."

it also seems that none of her men either Jeffrey or Will stick up for Sara against these evil bitches.

Not like we think they should😏

Jo Ann (jojog) | 337 comments Susan wrote: "Jonetta wrote: "Susan wrote: "I don't know what Sara has done in her past life to have two (Lena and Angie) horrible people do bad things to her and those she loves. Angie is so like Lena in that s..."

So true!! They both see the "good" (!?!) in them or feel responsible for them in some way.

« previous 1