NobelWomen discussion

GroupReads > December 2018: Reeds in the Wind

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Britta (new)

Britta Böhler | 50 comments Our December read: Reeds in the Wind by Grazia Deledda (1871-1936), winner of the Nobel Prize in 1926.

Looking forward to discussing the book with you all!

message 2: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid | 2 comments Yep! It’s coming in the mail soon 🤗 looking forward!

message 3: by Kim Becker (new)

Kim Becker (MIDDLE of the Book MARCH) | 0 comments Mine should be here Saturday! Looks like a good one.

message 4: by Beatrizmallow (new)

Beatrizmallow | 3 comments Picking mine from the library this afternoon after work.

message 5: by Kay (new)

Kay | 27 comments Looks like a very different type of read from Gosta Berling, judging from the description.

message 6: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie (bonnie_poole) | 2 comments I got my book and look forward to reading this story.

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen | 2 comments Will begin reading today

message 8: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid | 2 comments Got my book too!!
Gonna read tonight 📚

message 9: by Beatrizmallow (new)

Beatrizmallow | 3 comments I finished the book a couple of days ago and sadly I didn't particularly like it. I read the Spanish translation and at the beginning something reminded me of Emilia Pardon Bazan's books, maybe the religious expressions, and I was enjoying it, but eventually I found it very repetitive and a little boring. Hopefully I will have better luck next month.

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jenn8fer) | 2 comments I have also recently finished reading Reeds In The Wind and enjoyed it. The book was published in 1913 by a woman who had no formal education but enjoyed reading. She wrote what she knew of Sardinia's customs, religious festivals, and folklore while interspersing within that background an intelligent story of man's character and fate in life.

message 11: by Nadia (new)

Nadia Zeemeeuw | 18 comments Not my kind of book. I can understand an importance of topics it touches. Nevertheless I hadn’t any joy reading about this unbearable meekness of its characters, their obedience to fate. The most important thing I felt absolutely indifferent to writing style.

message 12: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (modica03) Wow! It’s very early on, but what beautiful, lyrical writing! I’m quite taken by the story so far as well, I hope the magic continues.

message 13: by Kay (new)

Kay | 27 comments I have been reading this book for what seems like ages now - I am into the story when I pick it up but once I put it down I don't reach for it for a while. Not sure why...

message 14: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (modica03) I finished the book this morning and have several impressions. I liked this quiet short book. In the beginning I was impressed by her beautiful descriptive language. As I wrote in my review, I'm not sure if this changed as the story progressed or if the story took over. In my opinion there was nothing spectacular about the book. I'm not sure I would judge it a Nobel Prize winning novel. However, I don't think I'll forget the story, the environment or the characters. I gave it a rating of 4.

message 15: by Britta (new)

Britta Böhler | 50 comments I finished the book last week. I really enjoyed the atmosphere and the language. But the story wasn't quite my cup of tea.

Here's my review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54DWL...