Laurie R. King Virtual Book Club discussion

Archived General > Best Books in 2018

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erin (new)

Erin (tangential1) | 1638 comments Mod
We're suddenly almost to the end of the year! Which got me wondering: what was the best book you read this year? (doesn't have to be a recently published book)

message 2: by Lenore (last edited Nov 29, 2018 10:49AM) (new)

Lenore | 1079 comments A Gentleman in Moscow, by Amor Towles. A close second might be The Mathematician's Shiva, by Stuart Rojstaczer.

message 3: by Merrily (new)

Merrily | 1791 comments Mod
I read so many that it's hard for me to choose just one, but I'd say Susanna Kearsley's "Bellewether" and the Galbraith (J.K. Rowling) "Lethal White" were right up there.

message 4: by Erin (last edited Nov 29, 2018 12:44PM) (new)

My favorites this year were all fantasy. N.K. Jemisin's The Stone Sky, which finished off that trilogy was absolutely amazing. And I finally got around to reading Sabriel by Garth Nix after several friends had recommended it several years in a row, and immediately fell in love.

Oh, and actually one of our picks too: Silent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourn had been on my list for forever, and I ended up breezing through the entire series after we read the first one for discussion.

message 5: by Merrily (new)

Merrily | 1791 comments Mod
Erin wrote: "My favorites this year were all fantasy. N.K. Jemisin's The Stone Sky, which finished off that trilogy was absolutely amazing. And I finally got around to reading [book:Sabriel|5188..."

I love the Deanna Raybourn series - in fact our VBC discussion has gotten me listening to them all as audiobooks. Now you have to read her new series, about Veronica Speedwell, a Victorian Lady Adventurer. They're great!

message 6: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Van Daele | 39 comments I have thoroughly enjoyed Genevieve Cogman’s Invisible Library series, and today The Mortal Word, number five, I think, was released. The Imam of Tawi Tawi, the latest book in Ian Hamilton’s Ava series. Also The Watchmaker of Filigree Street which I first read about here. And as Erin wrote, loved Deanna Raybourn’s books , and especially the Veronica Speedwell books, which remind me of Elizabeth Peters. Great question!

message 7: by Erin (new)

Dorothy wrote: "Genevieve Cogman’s Invisible Library series"

That series has been on my 'to-read" list for a while now; I'll have to check the library in the new year.

message 8: by Sara (new)

Sara | 30 comments Since I tend to listen to books more than read them these days, this year I have enjoyed the audio versions of "News of the World" by Paulette Jiles, "The Girl in the Tower" by Kathleen Arden, "Another Brooklyn" by Jacqueline Woodson, "The Mermaid and Mrs. Hancock" by Imogen Gowar, "Spinning Silver" by Naomi Novik, "On Basilisk Station" by David Weber, the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher and the Red Rising series by Pierce Brown. I find I prefer fantasy / sci-fi books to make my commute seem less onerous.

message 9: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 399 comments I'll be posting a "Favorite Reads of 2018" on my Reading Room blog the end of this month. I don't think I could pick just one or even two favorites, but I'll say that I just finished an amazing book that will be on my Favorites list, Jennifer Hillier's Jar of Hearts. I'll come back with my list when I post it.

message 10: by Erin (new)

Sara wrote: "the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher."

Oh, Codex Alera was really good on audio!