2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2019 > Ashley's 2019 Plan of 65 Books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ashley (last edited Dec 28, 2019 04:03PM) (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments I am planning on reading 65 books in 2019.

75/65

message 2: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Nice goal Ashley! I think I may go for 60 as well... Or maybe 55....
Good luck & happy reading!

message 3: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments I am at 55 this year and I think I can add a few more. I am also in the group Around the Year in 52 book, and doing the multiple challenges including A-Z challenge, clear the shelves, turn the pages, and long and short. I will probably join in some monthly challenges, group reads, and buddy reads.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 930 comments Good luck Ashley!

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments RJ wrote: "Good luck Ashley!"
Thank you!!

message 6: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11915 comments Ashley I look forward to seeing what you read this year. I hope you go on some great adventures.

message 8: by Scott (new)

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments Nice list quite a few are on my mental list to read

message 9: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments 1. V for Vendetta. This was the first graphic novel I read. I liked the story, but at times I found the writing hard to follow in this format. I will not be reading any more graphic novels.

message 10: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments 2. Black Rain. This was an interesting book. It is set in the future and has an interesting story. There is a lot that happens in the book and its hard to figure out until you get to the end and it explains what is going on. That is when everything comes together. But this books holds your attention and keeps you reading.

message 11: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments 3. First Kill. This was a short story about an assassin. It was interest how he related this kill to his first and how he became an assassin.

message 12: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments 4. Sharp Objects This is a different take on a murder as it is someone from the town where the murder occurs, and she goes back for work as a journalist. When she is back though, her childhood comes back to haunt her and she discovers things about the past. But things about the past, have a bearing on what is happening now.

This was a very dark, disturbing, and interesting book. It really gets into the minds of the characters and even though you do not really like them, there are emotions and you are drawn to them and what they are going to do. As you read, you get to the point of nothing can get worse, and then something else happens, and it can get worse. But you are so interested you just keep reading to find out what is going to happen next.

message 13: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments 5. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I am re-reading the Harry Potter series this year. I have always enjoyed these books and enjoy seeing how everything began again. The unlikely friendships that develop and the first adventure the characters have together.

message 14: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments 6. What Have You Done. This was a very interesting read. The writing was great and it just make you want to keep reading. The story is entertaining with many moving parts and holds your attention. You get into it and just keep reading to find out what is going to happen.

message 15: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments 7. A View to Die For. This was not a great book. The writing did not really hold my attention and I did not feel like I wanted to keep reading. The dog was just a dog. The main character seemed a little dry and it was just like here is what I am doing.

message 16: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments 8. New Corpse In Town. I did not enjoy this book. It was a mystery and romance, but both aspects of the book fell short. You do not know the characters and the writing did not hold my attention.

message 17: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments 9. The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume II. I read the Last Bow and the Case Book of Sherlock Holmes in this book this year. I have now completed the Sherlock Holmes stories. These were entertaining and interesting stories. Some of them had similar parts, but they were good. Some were definitely better than others. Holmes way of solving problems in interesting and keeps you guessing.

message 18: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments 10. The Winter Sister. I wasn't sure about this book at first, but it ended up being really good. The writing drags you into the story. The investigation is just the main character living her live in a situation where she is taking care of her mother and just happens to find out information about her sisters murder. The book is written as her telling about this part of her life, she you also get the family dynamic and how she feels about her sister and what happened. It was easy to read and follow and you just want to find out what happened.

message 19: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments 11. Sherlock Holmes
12 Deep Blue. This was an enjoyable book that just kept you reading. There were different aspects to it, which kept it going and you just wanted to know what was going to happen. The story flows wells and you really get to know the character and feel and experience things with them as you read.

message 20: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments 13. Something Borrowed. This was a boring and annoying book. The characters are all annoying and not likable.

message 21: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments 14. Brave New World. This was a re-read but was an interesting book. The book focuses more on the world than on the characters. The characters are used to show the world and what it is like. There are some interesting concepts and some are a little disturbing.

message 22: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments 15. The Girl on the Train. This was a little slow at times and repetitive, but it was good.

message 23: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments 16. The Reckless. I enjoyed this book. It was entertaining, it was more about the life of the investigator than just the investigation. There were different aspects in this book and it was very interesting. This is part of a series, but this can be read as a stand-alone book.

17. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. This is one of my favorite book in this series. There are also many things happening in this book and many little things that come back in the later stories.

message 24: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments 18. Little Women. I probably would have enjoyed this book if I read it when I was younger. I found it a cross between Gone with the Wind and Pride and Prejudice for a younger audience. I liked the characters and did enjoy how they each had their own story growing up in the family.

message 25: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11915 comments Awesome job so far keep it up!

message 26: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments 19. Anne of Green Gables. This was an enjoyable book. There are many good points made throughout the story. The characters were likable and this was a great story of an orphan girl given another chance and growing up. The impact she made on people and growing up with people who gave her a chance.

message 27: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments 20. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I find this is when it really started to get interesting in the series. There is more danger in this book and many different experiences.

21. Slaughterhouse-Five. This was an okay book. The writing was not great and was even annoying at times. I also did not see this as an anti-war book, but as someone with a mental illness. Maybe it is just me, but that is what I got from it. This in part could have been triggered by experiences in the war.

message 28: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments 22. A Tale of Two Cities. I enjoyed this even though there were times in the middle I felt a little lost. It all seemed to come together in the end and I didn't feel like I missed anything. This was an enjoyable book.

message 29: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments 23. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. This is one of my favorites in the series. I enjoy the plot against the ministry and the growing up that you can see in the characters in this book.

message 30: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments 24. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. This book is really the set-up for the seventh book and it starts to piece things together from previous books. It is interesting to see how everything started.

25. Dark Places. It enjoyed this book. It was very interesting. The story line was easy to follow even though it was told by multiple perspectives and told from different times. There were many crazy things and the ending was unpredictable.

message 31: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments 26. The Woman in the Window. This book ended up being a lot better than I thought it was going to be. The way it was written, you find out a lot of things as you read and there are a few twists in the story. It was easy to read with the short chapters and it as just keeps you reading to figure out what is going on and what is going to happen.

27. Outlaw: The Legend of Robin Hood. I enjoyed the story of Robin Hood, but I didn't care much for the graphic novel format. For me, it take away from the story.

message 32: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments 28. James and the Giant Peach. This was an okay read but not that great. I probably would have enjoyed it more if I read it as a kid.

message 33: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments 29. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I enjoyed this book. It really brings the entire story together and connects the pieces.

30. Xena Warrior Princess: Blood and Shadows. Needed an X book for a challenge so chose this. Not bad, but still not a fan of graphic novels. Think I am finally done with them.

message 34: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11915 comments You have read some very interesting books this year. Keep up the great reading!

message 35: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments 31. These Witches Don't Burn. This was a better story than I thought it was going to be. It was interesting and caught my attention but I don't think I would read another if this a series. The thing I did like was the characters were not the annoying teenagers that are in a lot of books.

32. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2. I enjoyed the story even though it is written as a play. It was enjoyable. It has the adventure of the series with a lot of family things also happening.

33. The Things We Do for Love. I was a little surprised that I enjoyed this book as much as I did. Its not what I normally read but found I just kept reading this book. The characters were likable and there are a few life lessons in the story which I liked.

message 36: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments 34. The Zodiac Killer. This was okay but it was not great. I will not be continuing the series. There were times when it was confusing about what was going on, especially when a character thought about the past. I did not like the characters and the book just comes to a sudden end.

message 37: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments 35. Cyber Countdown.This book was okay, but I didn't think it was great. It was confusing and a little hard to follow at times. There are a lot of different things going on and some of them come together at some point. This makes it a little more confusing. It was not broken up in an easy to read format, which I think would have helped. The story was entertaining, but I think different people focuses on to many things, which also make it slightly confusing. It was still entertaining.

36. The Zookeeper's Wife.This book reads like a long essay about the Zabinski's and the Nazis. It was not very enjoyable and at times jumped around to include what someone wrote or said about was going on. That is what made it read like an essay. It was just sources but together to write the book.

message 38: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments 37. Little House in the Big Woods. This was entertaining. I enjoyed the family dynamic that exists and and you get to know the life style and the characters.

message 39: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments 38. To Kill a Mockingbird. This book is a great story. I like how it is told from the perspective of a child who is going through the experiences and trying to see how things are changing during this time period and seeing why changes should be made.

message 40: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11915 comments “Read the best books first, or you may not have a chance to read them at all.” I hope the last month has found you some best books.

message 41: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments 39. Little Fires Everywhere. This was a very good story. There were a few parts where I had to stop to figure out whose perspective a paragraph was in, but it was still good. The title is very fitting as there were many things going on in the book as a mother and daughter effected an entire family and each had something going on.

40. Three Weeks With My Brother. This was a very enjoyable story. It liked how during the adventure of a lifetime, the author puts in how things reminded him of his past. He fit his life story into a current adventure and it was a very interesting book.

41. The Murder Artist. I found this was an enjoyable book. I liked how the father took it upon himself to find his sons and the length that he went to. (view spoiler)

message 42: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments 42. A Brief History of Time. This was okay. I don't have a science background and it has been years since I took a science class so there was a bit that I didn't understand and had to read a few times to try to get it. There are examples throughout the book to help try to explain certain concepts.

message 43: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments 43. Night Train to Lisbon. This was okay but I didn't think it was great. It was an interesting concept but it just felt lacking to me. It is almost like every other romance as it didn't really focus on the problems and how to fix them. They were just glossed over.

message 44: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments 44. Animal Farm. This was an interesting perspective of a rebellion as it uses animals instead of people. The effects however are the same. It is an interesting book.

45. All Quiet on the Western Front. This was an interesting book about a young soldier's experience in World War I. It really put you in the fighting and the experience he had in the war.

message 45: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments 46. Circe. I enjoyed this book. It followed a character from Greek myths throughout her life. It was interesting perspective and it was entertaining. It was well written so it had a good flow. You don't need to know about Greek mythology to understand what is going on in the book, which I found helpful.

message 46: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments 47. Little House on the Prairie. This was entertaining and enjoyable. It was interesting to read about the experience of moving during this time and what the family did.

48. Serial. This was an interesting short book involving two serial killers and their adventures. It was interesting how the two different stories came together.

49. Farmer Boy. This was another interesting book in the series. It was interesting to read about a different family during the same time and see how they did things. Their life was very different and it is interesting to see.

message 47: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11915 comments Every time I stop by here I add more books to my reading list you are doing awesome!

message 48: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments 50. Perfect Crime. This was a short story but was entertaining.

51. It. This was very entertaining book. I liked how in a way there were two very similar stories going on. One was the characters when they were kids and the other was them as adults. You can picture everything happening and the big just flows.

52. Jaws. This was interesting and slightly disappointing in way. I have always watched the movies but didn't read the book. While the book was good and entertaining, I feel like there was more in that happened in the movie.

message 49: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments 53. Haunting of the Blackthorne House. I got this as part of the Goodreads Giveaways. I really enjoyed this book. It was quick and easy to read. You just kept reading to find out what was going to happen next. There was the right amount of introduction and as you read and find out some information, you want to know where this is going. It was an enjoyable short read.

54. Dracula. This was enjoyable and interesting, but I did not find it frightening. There are a lot of vampire stories out there today, so as this was the first, the stories today took the concepts of the vampire out this book, so you know things that come up without reading it. It is not horror as I see horror today. This was still interesting but different than I thought it would be.

message 50: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments 55. The Tumor. This was actually an informative book. It was interesting and sad, but shows what can be accomplished in a relatively short period of time. It is interesting how technology and treatments can go a long way.

« previous 1