50 Books' Book Club discussion

Monthly Nominations > September's Group Read

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meranda (new)

Meranda (msl87) Let the nominations begin! We will close the nominations on Saturday, August 22nd and then begin voting.
Please nominate general fiction or non-fiction books.

Thanks!

message 2: by Meranda (new)

Meranda (msl87) I forgot that we aren't going to start the next book until September 15th so we will let nominations go until Tuesday, August 25th. I want to make sure we have enough time for everyone to get the book!

message 3: by Aunt Re (new)

Aunt Re Little Bee by Chris Cleave

message 4: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer

message 5: by Aunt Re (new)

Aunt Re Great choice! it's a good book.

message 6: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) Aunt Re wrote: "Great choice! it's a good book."

I'm excited to hear that. It's on my TBR list and I have it from the library so I'm hoping if it was a group read, I'd actually get to it :)

message 7: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) 'The Seance' by John Harwood

A great new writer from Australia. His first book was 'The Ghost Writer'. Really good, old-fashioned, scary!!!

message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol | 21 comments The Traveler - John Twelve Hawks

This book is about a parallel world that exists right alongside our own. This is the first of the Dark Realm Trilogy - The Dark River is the second book.

message 9: by barutiel (new)

barutiel The Terror by Dan Simmons

message 10: by Silver (new)

Silver Howard's End by E.M Forster

message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateksh) The Well and the Mine by Gin Phillips

This is on my to-read shelf and has a decent rating . . .

message 12: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22)

Is it possible to change my choice?

message 13: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) The nominations end tomorrow so... I'm not against it. Mandy?

message 14: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) If I can, it's 'The Girl Who Played With Fire' by Stieg Larsson.
But I understand if I cannot... thanks!

message 15: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) Suzanne wrote: "If I can, it's 'The Girl Who Played With Fire' by Stieg Larsson.
But I understand if I cannot... thanks!"

While it's not exactly a rule, this being the second in a series, I'm a little apprehensive about this nomination because not all might have read the first book. Would it be all right to change your nomination to the first book, or something else?

message 16: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) Absolutely! 'The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' is wonderful!

message 17: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) All right. Thanks, Suzanne!

message 18: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) Thank you to everyone for your nominations!

I created the September poll and sent an invite to group members to vote for your selection. You can also click here to vote in the poll. The poll will close on September 6th.

message 19: by Craig (new)

Craig I would like to suggest "Strength in What Remains" for an upcoming book club read.

message 20: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) Hi Craig,

The nominations for September have been closed but you can nominate the book you wish next month when we're nominating for October. :)

message 21: by Susanna (last edited Sep 06, 2009 07:13AM) (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) So, the poll is closed and the votes are in. The winner is The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson which we will begin reading on September 15th. The discussion post will be up by then!

message 22: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateksh) I have been DYING to read that; off to Costco I go to buy a copy.

message 23: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) I just bought it as a belated birthday gift for a friend. I read this a few months ago and loved it!

I also just saw the movie. I thought it was pretty good :)

message 24: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateksh) Guys, I am not doing too well with Cloud Atlas . . . I find that I need a chunk of time to dig in (not dozing at the end of the day . . ) This weekend, I'll give it my best shot!

message 25: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) Kate wrote: "Guys, I am not doing too well with Cloud Atlas . . . I find that I need a chunk of time to dig in (not dozing at the end of the day . . ) This weekend, I'll give it my best shot!"

How do you feel about it so far? Does it hold your interest at all? The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo will be a nice change of pace, not as heavy as Cloud Atlas. I bet you'll finish it in no time. :)

message 26: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateksh) Susanna,

It's not a book I want to abandon, but I am bogged down! Usually only predictable or poorly written alienates me. I'm going to give myself a few serious sessions this weekend and then move on for a while. I almost want to start over (a third time) to try to capture all of the nuances and connections. I do love a complex read, though -- and the vocab is phenom!